Player Discussion Brodin vs Dumba

Who to trade for a Center

• Total voters

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s a pretty good discussion as one is inevitably going to be moved this offseason. I’m just creating this poll so that we can gauge where the fan base is at as to who should be moved. Obviously I think there’s a lot more that goes into that we don’t have details about such as what Brodin’s contract will look and what offers for each player look like. I’d personally move Dumba and Try to extend Brodin.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dumba.

1. Better organizational depth at the position. We have 2 pretty legit shots at replacing his offensive production with Menell and Addison. We have basically no shot at replacing Brodin's defensive ability.

2. If we're trading one of them, it's for a top 6 forward upgrade (hopefully at the center position). Upgrading the forwards makes it a little less necessary for the defense to do as much heavy lifting offensively. Defense stays equally as important.

3. I'm a lot more comfortable re-signing Brodin long-term right now, than I would be re-signing Dumba long-term when his contract is up.

4. I think Dumba, even with a down season last year, still brings in a better return than Brodin does.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At this point, Dumba.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Would be really shitty if we move Dumba and Brodin walks in a year. Dumba would have the best opportunity to bring back a decent center since IMO he is more valuable than Brodin in a vacuum.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would be really shitty if we move Dumba and Brodin walks in a year. Dumba would have the best opportunity to bring back a decent center since IMO he is more valuable than Brodin in a vacuum.

If we move Dumba, and Brodin isn't locked in a short time later, then Brodin moves as well. He shouldn't come close to UFA.

Defense obviously takes a hit, but hopefully the assets brought back lessens the pain.

And we've been pretty spoiled by our defense. Suter/Spurgeon/Soucy/Pateryn obviously isn't a top 5 foursome anymore, but I sure don't think it's bottom 5 either.

Last edited:

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
8 x $5.875 is my number. $47 million in total.
I’m migrating to this thread.

I like that number and don’t mind the 8 years. I guess the biggest thing for me is how whatever move we make sets us up to build a contender. Say we Do make a trade for an RNH/Monahan player around Dumba, that gives us:
Kaprizov-Monahan/RNH-Fiala
Boldy-Ek/Khovanov-Kunin
Greenway-Ek/Khovanov-Zuccarello
Parise-4C-Donato

Suter/Brodin-Spurgeon/Addison
Suter/Brodi-Spurgeon/Addison
Spicy-Menell

Kaapo

As a long term plan to contend for years. I think that team still needs work to win a cup, but there’s no question the Defense can still be elite, and that if we find a serviceable goalie/Kahk is big (in net) that we’re contending. Add in the rest of our prospect pool and 2 1sts and we’re looking good.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I like that number and don’t mind the 8 years. I guess the biggest thing for me is how whatever move we make sets us up to build a contender. Say we Do make a trade for an RNH/Monahan player around Dumba, that gives us:
Boldy-Ek/Khovanov-Kunin
Parise-4C-Donato

Spicy-Menell

Kaapo

As a long term plan to contend for years. I think that team still needs work to win a cup, but there’s no question the Defense can still be elite, and that if we find a serviceable goalie/Kahk is big (in net) that we’re contending. Add in the rest of our prospect pool and 2 1sts and we’re looking good.

With every scenario, a lot of things still have to go right. Mainly Kaprizov, Boldy Khovanov, Addison and Kahkonen. I said the exact same thing in 2012-13 talking about the Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Brodin and Kuemper group and they obviously only succeeded to a limited degree.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
With every scenario, a lot of things still have to go right. Mainly Kaprizov, Boldy Khovanov, Addison and Kahkonen. I said the exact same thing in 2012-13 talking about the Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Brodin and Kuemper group and they obviously only succeeded to a limited degree.
Yeah that’s for sure true. That’s why I still think we have some work. But I’d say it’s a comparable situation

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

Boldy-Ek/Khovanov-Kunin
Parise-4C-Donato

Spicy-Menell

Kaapo

I voted to trade Brodin
Can't have a Right D core that has 3 under 5'10 and under 180 lbs and only Spurgeon is a proven defender
Mennell and Addison are fighting for the same spot, can't have both in the line up and be effective

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I voted to trade Brodin
Can't have a Right D core that has 3 under 5'10 and under 180 lbs and only Spurgeon is a proven defender
Mennell and Addison are fighting for the same spot, can't have both in the line up and be effective

They're both fighting for Dumba's spot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Trade Dumba and you protect Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin. Probably lose Soucy, but you still have Suter and Brodin. Menell and Addison are fighting for Dumba's spot.

Trade Brodin and you protect Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba. Probably lose Soucy, and you now have nothing on left side except for Hunt (yikes). Menell and Addison are fighting for the spot behind Spurgeon and Dumba.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Trade Dumba and you protect Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin. Probably lose Soucy, but you still have Suter and Brodin. Menell and Addison are fighting for Dumba's spot.

Trade Brodin and you protect Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba. Probably lose Soucy, and you now have nothing on left side except for Hunt (yikes). Menell and Addison are fighting for the spot behind Spurgeon and Dumba.
Where does Barkov fit in when we sign him as an FA?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba has to get his act together before he'll bring much back in trade.

Wild have Mennell, Belpedio, Addison, Pateryn and the two Johanssons as RHD or RHD prospects.

Besides Soucy, MN has Hunt, who I am souring on, as he is a liability defensively.

BTW, I do think that their should be two other options in the poll. Both and neither.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Dumba has to get his act together before he'll bring much back in trade.

Wild have Mennell, Belpedio, Addison, Pateryn and the two Johanssons as RHD or RHD prospects.

Besides Soucy, MN has Hunt, who I am souring on, as he is a liability defensively.

BTW, I do think that their should be two other options in the poll. Both and neither.
Good point. Fixed it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You know that 5th option is going to get you a Man of the Year award, don't you? Will also completely derail this thread, but I'm cool with that. Even Bazeek will have to weigh in.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
You know that 5th option is going to get you a Man of the Year award, don't you? Will also completely derail this thread, but I'm cool with that. Even Bazeek will have to weigh in.
Yeah I didn’t add that in there I think it must’ve been Bazeek

Reactions: AKL

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If we move Dumba, and Brodin isn't locked in a short time later, then Brodin moves as well. He shouldn't come close to UFA.

Defense obviously takes a hit, but hopefully the assets brought back lessens the pain.

And we've been pretty spoiled by our defense. Suter/Spurgeon/Soucy/Pateryn obviously isn't a top 5 foursome anymore, but I sure don't think it's bottom 5 either.

With our uncertainty at the goalie position and Koivu departing soon, I really don't think we can lose both Dumba and Brodin.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Depends on what we’d get for them.

I mean yeah, but I really don't trust Soucy enough to thrust him into a #3 role. I'd really like to get another year look at him and Menell/Addison before making that call. Would be nice to see how Kaapo looks too.Also, cap situation is very uncertain right now. If we made a move for a top UFA defenseman, I'd be more inclined to move both though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->