Injury Report: Brodie collapsed in practice

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Is it possible for epilepsy to only manifest that late in life? You’d think if it was known that he had a condition there would have been less hysteria around the event
Definitely can develop at any point in time in a human (or animals) life. Obviously individuals with other health outcome markers (health conditions, age, race etc) are more likely to develop epilepsy.

Could also just be something like an imbalance to sugar in his blood. Maybe he went to practice without eating and his blood sugar went too low. Regardless, hopefully he's ok as a person first and foremost. Hockey should be secondary to everything here - even if it hurts the team.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Definitely can develop at any point in time in a human (or animals) life. Obviously individuals with other health outcome markers (health conditions, age, race etc) are more likely to develop epilepsy.

Could also just be something like an imbalance to sugar in his blood. Maybe he went to practice without eating and his blood sugar went too low. Regardless, hopefully he's ok as a person first and foremost. Hockey should be secondary to everything here - even if it hurts the team.
Diabetes?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
very similar to what has occurred with Matt Tifft, for those who are unaware, suffered an seizure three weeks ago at Martinsville Speedway, and has halted his career to determine what occurred and how to prevent a recurrence.....

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Glad he is ok... hopefully nothing serious. Maybe it's just the shock of being told he is stuck with Michael stone for the rest of the season on his contract year :sarcasm:
Seems like this is poor taste man. I get you’re a troll most of the time, but this isn’t the right place.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like this is poor taste man. I get you’re a troll most of the time, but this isn’t the right place.
That's fine if it offended someone,I apologise and deleted my post.
I really meant to hope it's nothing serious.

As far as trolling, same to you.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
That's fine if it offended someone,I apologise and deleted my post.
I really meant to hope it's nothing serious.

As far as trolling, same to you.
All good - just an observation from my end. And I'm the furthest thing from a troll, but I'll let you think that :)

From the update so far - sounds like they're lead to believe so far it's a syncopal fainting episode, and not a larger underlying episode (ie neurological issue, cardiovascular issue etc). This sounds like they're under the impression it could have been from dehydration/exhaustion, which sounds better than it could have been.

No timetable for his return yet

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I hope he's OK with little ill effects. I read that he had a seizure just standing around during practice, but he was responsive and chatting prior to leaving to the hospital to get checked out. He also was sent home without a long delay at the hospital, so I'm optimistic it's nothing long term or serious.

Not to make this about me, but something like this has happened to me before a long time ago and it was nothing. I'm hoping it's the same situation here. For me, it was just a basic skipped breakfast, I was so busy I kept forgetting to drink water, full day = a little bit exhaustion, then overly hot room for a late afternoon class and... BAM! I went out like a light and was a little seizure~y according to others. The absolute oddity/maybe irony of the whole situation was that it was a CALM class in high school and I literally conked out near the end of a guest speaker talking about the nasty things that happen when you do drugs (which wasn't the case here at all). Luckily, it turned out to be nothing and I merely spooked the class and the guest speaker, who afterwards was saying that me conking out probably really drove the point home about staying away from drugs.

Here's hoping it's something similar for TJ and a totally non serious one off thing. (ie: Skipped a meal, didn't drink enough liquids, low blood sugar and overheated during practice which caused him to collapse).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
All good - just an observation from my end. And I'm the furthest thing from a troll, but I'll let you think that :)

From the update so far - sounds like they're lead to believe so far it's a syncopal fainting episode, and not a larger underlying episode (ie neurological issue, cardiovascular issue etc). This sounds like they're under the impression it could have been from dehydration/exhaustion, which sounds better than it could have been.

No timetable for his return yet

Thank god.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I hope he's OK with little ill effects. I read that he had a seizure just standing around during practice, but he was responsive and chatting prior to leaving to the hospital to get checked out. He also was sent home without a long delay at the hospital, so I'm optimistic it's nothing long term or serious.

Not to make this about me, but something like this has happened to me before a long time ago and it was nothing. I'm hoping it's the same situation here. For me, it was just a basic skipped breakfast, I was so busy I kept forgetting to drink water, full day = a little bit exhaustion, then overly hot room for a late afternoon class and... BAM! I went out like a light and was a little seizure~y according to others. The absolute oddity/maybe irony of the whole situation was that it was a CALM class in high school and I literally conked out near the end of a guest speaker talking about the nasty things that happen when you do drugs (which wasn't the case here at all). Luckily, it turned out to be nothing and I merely spooked the class and the guest speaker, who afterwards was saying that me conking out probably really drove the point home about staying away from drugs.

Here's hoping it's something similar for TJ and a totally non serious one off thing. (ie: Skipped a meal, didn't drink enough liquids, low blood sugar and overheated during practice which caused him to collapse).
Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious for you - and hoping it's the same case for TJ as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Could be so many things or a confluence of things that speculating on it is a pretty fruitless endeavor. Let's just hope whatever it is isn't something that will negatively affect his life going forward.
To add to this, in general doctors don't worry too much about 1 seizure, because it can happen to someone for so many minor reasons. It is not until there is a second incident that they become concerned with discovering the underlying cause.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm glad Brodie is okay, but even with interest of medical privacy, it was vintage Treliving. "TJ had an event. Good bye."

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Jets fan here.
That’s some scary sh!t.
Glad to hear he’s ok and here’s to hoping he’s back on the ice soon.

Although I cheer primarily for the Canucks, I'm a fan of all the Canadian franchises & ultimately Hockey itself. I echo the sentiments of the Jets fan above, relieved to read that he's been sent home to continue recovering and hope to see Brodie return to the top of his game.

Cheers

Last edited:

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Could be - or not be diabetes. Generally people with diabetes are more prone if blood sugar is too imbalanced, but non-diabetic people can have seizures if blood sugar is too out of wack.

Not that it matters for Brodie, but the statement above is incorrect. Diabetes does not give hypoglycemia: treatment of diabetes does (insulin or sulfonylurea). As for non diabetics, there are some very rare diseases that can cause hypoglycemia (ex. insulinoma) but 99 % of non diabetics who say they have had an hypoglycemia did not. Vasovagal symptoms are often mistaken for hypoglycemia.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Sounds awful....

It was a terrifying scene at Scotiabank Saddledome on Thursday when TJ Brodie collapsed during the Calgary Flames’ practice.
The 29-year-old defenceman was standing by himself during a drill at the blueline when he fell to the ice and started convulsing. There was a moment of confusion when he landed, as the coaches and players — at first — weren’t exactly sure what was happening; the convulsions looked to have paused and Brodie had been lying motionless on the ice before the movements, that looked like uncontrollable muscle contractions, started again.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-defenceman-tj-brodie-taken-to-hospital-after-collapsing-at-practice

Get well soon....

That sounds really scary. Hopefully there's a full recovery and it isn't anything but a freak occurrence.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Not that it matters for Brodie, but the statement above is incorrect. Diabetes does not give hypoglycemia: treatment of diabetes does (insulin or sulfonylurea). As for non diabetics, there are some very rare diseases that can cause hypoglycemia (ex. insulinoma) but 99 % of non diabetics who say they have had an hypoglycemia did not. Vasovagal symptoms are often mistaken for hypoglycemia.
Thanks for the correction!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->