Brodeur offersheet with Blues??

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by BlueSinceBirth, Apr 6, 2011.

1. BlueSinceBirth

BlueSinceBirth Registered User

I seem to remember this happening but getting rejected by the NHL. Does anyone have any info or articles about it? All I found in a search was a bunch of Devils fans calling another Devils fan an idiot for making it up in a 6 year old thread LOL. I remember it had something to do with Keenan and the Blues not being able to use other teams draft picks as compensation.

2. mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195 Registered User

I never heard about this, I would love to learn more though.

3. reckoning

reckoning Registered User

There were rumours in the summer of '95 that the Blues were going to do it ($25M for 5 years), but I don't think the offer sheet was ever actually made.

4. BamBamCam*

BamBamCam* Guest

correct, only rumors

5. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    I forget why the Blues didn't do it, was it a tampering case? They had their first round pick starting in 1996 since the Scott Stevens compensation schedule was 1991-1995. Or maybe the Devils just locked up Brodeur straight away.

6. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    Blues signed shanahan as a RFa and offered Curtis Joseph and Rod Brindamour as compensation. Lou demanded Scott Stevens instead. It went to arbitration, and Lou said that Shanahan was a superstar, so the Deviks needed one in return, and the arbitrator agreed and Stevens was on his way to NJ. At first, he didn't want to be here and in the summer of 1994, the Blues tried to bring him back and failed. Stevens sulked at the beginning of the 1995 lockout year, which is why the team was only a 5th seed going into the playoffs. Claude Lemieux eventually called out Stevens for being a disgrace to the captaincy, Stevens got angry, started playing with fire, captained the team to the Cup and considered himself a Devil ever since.

St Louis was later found guilty of tampering back in the summer before the 94-95 season, and had to give the Devils some draft picks in compensation, the last of which became Zachary Parise.

Never hears anything about an offer sheet to Brodeur, probably a fantasy created by a st louis fan or reporter who wanted revenge.