Confirmed with Link: Brodeur elected to the HHoF

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I can only remember one injury before 08-09 that took him out for more than maybe a week. It was for like 2 weeks back in 2005, right after the lockout. Maybe the first month of the season or so? I think he got injured in a game against Tampa, and was out for 2, maybe 2.5 weeks? Could have been 3 at the most.

He may have missed a week or so once or twice between 93-05, but it rarely ever happened.

ah yes, the curse of the MB30 mask

Reactions: BurntToast

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I remember him getting hit in the MB30 mask and having to put the old one back on. It was such relief. The story of the original mask was dope. It was a inevitable decline but the mask was an easy scapegoat.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I lost my virginity a few hours before his first career shutout. I wouldn't even remember that if he didn't get a shutout that night, his first of 125. His first of 149 shutouts actually. Regular season and playoffs combined.

It was always a cool and interesting connection that I had. If he hadn't ever been any good or just kind of flamed out like Corey Schwab and really had no career to speak of, I probably wouldn't have remembered that. It would have just been a guy having a shutout. Although at the time, I don't think the list of Devils goalies with a shutout was very long.

I was vocally not happy with his performance for a bit before he retired, but I was also not quite ready to say goodbye when he did retire.

So it was hard.
Very well said Bleed. Although I was probably your biggest critic when you were not happy with Marty. I knew all the time he was not going to be even close to the Marty we all knew, but as you was not ready to see him retire. #1Brodure

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Very well said Bleed. Although I was probably your biggest critic when you were not happy with Marty. I knew all the time he was not going to be even close to the Marty we all knew, but as you was not ready to see him retire. #1Brodure
The way I felt about Marty at the end and this is kind of a morbid example, I even feel bad making it.

It's when an ailing, very sickly loved one is in rough shape and in a lot of pain, and they're not in a good space anymore in their life. Deep down, you know they might be better off not suffering and just not being around anymore, but you don't wanna let them go. You can't live without them. You don't wanna know what life is like without them. I've had that happen before in life, and that's how I felt with Marty in his last season here.

As far as sports or pop culture people, who I don't know personally, I would say that feeling was the closest I've ever had about a figure that was in my own real life.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Have to say with what's happened with Cory (not his fault of course) the last several years I'm really starting to see how much I took for granted Marty's durability. Until 2008-2009 (the season he turned 37) Brodeur never had a major injury

Injuries. No not his fault.... the constant weak goals over the last 2 yrs, the game after game of not making timely saves to cost us a game, yes that's his fault.

A butterfly goalie will get injured more then a hybrid goalie 9 of 10 times.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
The way I felt about Marty at the end and this is kind of a morbid example, I even feel bad making it.

It's when an ailing, very sickly loved one is in rough shape and in a lot of pain, and they're not in a good space anymore in their life. Deep down, you know they might be better off not suffering and just not being around anymore, but you don't wanna let them go. You can't live without them. You don't wanna know what life is like without them. I've had that happen before in life, and that's how I felt with Marty in his last season here.

As far as sports or pop culture people, who I don't know personally, I would say that feeling was the closest I've ever had about a figure that was in my own real life.

Again well said Bleed and 100% true. I think we have all been there and it sucks. We had things so good for so long we are still trying to get that back again. Cory was the answer then he wasn't. We all felt it was a done deal. Marty or better was back and they can build the team from the net out again. Inconsistent play and injury derailed that.

Reactions: Bleedred

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Came over here to possibly discuss trade, saw this thread and had to pay my respects. Felix Potvin inspired me to be a goalie when I was a kid, but it was Martin Brodeur that I really wanted to be like - He was my idol during some pretty informative years in my life, and he'll likely always be my favourite 'tender of all time.

Like many of you have said, it's a no-brainer - Nonetheless, congratulations, Marty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->