Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Problem is that you've destroyed the Isles ability to create strength down the middle with a 1a/1b approach and that seems to be the biggest needle mover in terms of true Cup contention. Brock sits in that precipice where he's not good enough to be a true 1b/2a and too good to be a nice 3c. So, he's going to be one of those players that fits as a decent player playing above his weight-class on an bad to average team, like a Coyotes or something.
He's legitimately a 2.5 Center (sort of like Fransy was). So if the marquee FA we pick up is Duchene, Brock becomes a real good #3C. If the guy we pick up is Panarin, he becomes a #2C with a superstar on his wing.

While I agree he's not a high(er) end #2C, I think the top 6 of Barzal's line and Nelson's line are very solid and can create offense. As we develop our younger players, you slot them in over Komarov, Filppula, etc. If we ever develop a Center that is top 6 quality, Nelson slides down to #3C - at his contract in 3 years, that's perfectly ok.

We are in a pickle right now though. If we don't make a move to sign him pre-July 1, we could be on the second day of FA with nothing but our dick in our hands.

Reactions: PROMputt

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
He's legitimately a 2.5 Center (sort of like Fransy was). So if the marquee FA we pick up is Duchene, Brock becomes a real good #3C.

Yeah, the issue is that if you get Nelson for, say $5.5, it puts a damper on your ability to add premier talent, especially if Lee gets $6.5+. Add a Panaran/Duchene at $9+, you're sniffing the cap ceiling and those are long term contracts. So, do you say keep Brock at $5.5 and tell yourself that you can slot him down if you need to, or put that money towards a higher end talent and rent a 3/4c like they did with Filppula.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Nelson does not fit as a 3rd line center IMO.
He is not a shutdown center that you need in the trenches like Filppula or Frans Nielsen.
He does not make players around him better.
I also think he is terrible on the powerplay.
So that is the question, is he a good enough 2nd line center? I still vote no.
I would much rather have had a guy like Duchene and then pickup Panarin.
Trading him would have been better than losing him for nothing as well.
It’s a bit of a dilemma. Your offense does not improve with Brock.
If you can sign him reasonably and then still trade him is better.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Nelson does not fit as a 3rd line center IMO.
He is not a shutdown center that you need in the trenches like Filppula or Frans Nielsen.
He does not make players around him better.
I also think he is terrible on the powerplay.
So that is the question, is he a good enough 2nd line center? I still vote no.
Valid. I'm on board.

Trading him would have been better than losing him for nothing as well.
Nope. Hopping off now.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That’s notnexactly a controversial statement. You’d like to snap your fingers and add 2 superstars? Who wouldn’t? Unfortunately, that ain’t happening.

I think everyone knows that Nelson is not the ideal player. But if we let him walk, is there someone else now - or in the near future - that we can sign and fill the role we need?

Maybe Kevin Hayes? But he’s not coming cheap and would probably put us out of the running for a Panarin-esque player on top. No idea if he wants to come back to NY area either.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Just saying, Nelson is not ideal as our long term second line center for the reasons stated. I don’t think it is a wise choice.

I can live with signing him, but only with a reasonable offer. You do not offer to overpay for this guy in years and $. The question will become, will he get blown off the Island by big money and years?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just saying, Nelson is not ideal as our long term second line center for the reasons stated. I don’t think it is a wise choice.

I can live with signing him, but only with a reasonable offer. You do not offer to overpay for this guy in years and $. The question will become, will he get blown off the Island by big money and years?
That’s fair. What’s a reasonable offer? 5x5? A wee bit more? I’m ok with that.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
Heard Brian Burke on radio the other day saying the Leafs will have big cap problems and Nylander will probably have to be traded. He plays mostly wing but has played center and BT will have to work with his D-zone coverage.

My first choice would be sign Duchesne, if not Hayes could be interesting and out in left field maybe bring in Getzlaf.
If nobody is brought in I would sooner give Nelson a 3 year at 7 mil than 5x5 for our own cap situation.
We will need to draft a center with our first pick who could be ready at end of Nelson contract.
I am also high on Kolvula after another year in the AHL

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
889951-untitled.jpg

Free Agent Centers.... Free Agents Everywhere!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He’s putting up very average 2C numbers right now and my opinion on that is that if you let him go you better sign someone who can put up the same numbers or better.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
If the team signs a 2c, Brock is perfect for what? A 3c at $5+?
Could always move him to wing and keep him in the top 6. His skillset is better suited to wing, IMO anyway. And it gives us a little more flexibility in the event we're not able to land a better 2C. As long as we can sign him to a contract that doesn't make him untradeable, I'd be fine with re-signing him and moving him when we need the salary space.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He's a well liked Islander. Love the reaction of his teammates when he scored the OT winning goal.
I’ll give it to him contact year or not he has really played well consistently this year. He has been a true 2nd center this year and I’ve heard and seen it written Trotz likes him. I still wouldn’t give him five million plus a year but he has had a great year and someone will give it to him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’ll give it to him contact year or not he has really played well consistently this year. He has been a true 2nd center this year and I’ve heard and seen it written Trotz likes him. I still wouldn’t give him five million plus a year but he has had a great year and someone will give it to him.
He's a tough call. But he has grown on me. There was no guarantee he could be an effective Center this year. But he really has upped his 2 way game. I give him the respect he deserves here. :thumbu:

Reactions: MarsTBOW

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I cant trust that the Nelson we see this year is the guy who we'll have for the next 5,6,7 years. Too many yrs of him completely disappearing for a half season or more. Even this year's Nelson is not a 2C on a contender. I'd be fine with him at 3C money and hope that he continues being a decent defensive option. Brings zero on the PP. He cant one time a shot to save his life. I think anything more than $5M/5 is an overpay. Us having zero depth at C in the A makes this more challenging but think Lou will make the right move

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Could always move him to wing and keep him in the top 6. His skillset is better suited to wing, IMO anyway.

I'm operating on the assumption that Trotz prefers him in the middle. Now, whether that's simply pragmatism since the team is thin at center (likely) or he likes Brock at center (possible), I don't know.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Not a huge Nelson fan, i think hes soft and lazy, but he is versatile and a decent 2nd liner. I hope Lou can sign him to a fair contract AND get a legit #2 center.

That will give Trotz the flexibility to play Nelson at center or wing. A winger goes down? Nelson can fill in, a center goes down? Nelson steps right in. I do think Nelson would make a very good winger for Barzal. Hes one of the few guys that can keep up with Barzal and he can find the open space on the ice and pick corners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->