Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just as long as a NMC isn't given out. The Isles need as much flexibility for expansion as possible. I was kind of hoping the draft would be a year earlier, so more young players would be exempt.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The proposed deal would have him making $4.75 million per year, which is definitely something teams would be after.

I don't know who's proposing that, but Brock Nelson is not getting only a 500K raise if he hits UFA. Not with home many silly NHL owners there are out there and the cap going up.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know who's proposing that, but Brock Nelson is not getting only a 500K raise if he hits UFA. Not with home many silly NHL owners there are out there and the cap going up.

It was in the post I quoted, that you then quoted. :help::laugh::huh:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The proposed deal would have him making $4.75 million per year, which is definitely something teams would be after.
Which is why it wouldn't be enough to sign him. My guess is that if we want re-sign him, we would need to pony up in the neighborhood of Bailey's deal - maybe a bit more. Spitballin' here, I think if we give him some term, he would sign for $5.5m AAV.

Not sure where that puts him though. Is that #2C money? #3C? 2.5C? I wouldn't mind having Nelson as our #3C and make a run at Duchene still. But that's a big long term commitment for a lot of guys. If we were to take a run at Duchene (which I think we should), I'd probably rather go short term on our #3/4C (depending on where you have Casey) with Val or a guy like him. Problem is, we'll never know if we're in the running for Duchene until its too late.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I don't know what happened to this guy. I kept waiting for him to lapse into his non-sense, no-show - but it's mid-point of the season. I can't believe how much better he's played, both offensively and defensively. It's witchcraft.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know what happened to this guy. I kept waiting for him to lapse into his non-sense, no-show - but it's mid-point of the season. I can't believe how much better he's played, both offensively and defensively. It's witchcraft.

He looked like a Staal last night.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He's been very good this year, I believe he will finish between 50-60 points as long as he's healthy and the big part for me is that when he's not putting up the points there's a pulse, he's eliminated the narrative that if he isn't scoring he isn't helping

Reactions: YearlyLottery

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I know drug talk is typically not tolerated but imagine this scenario where it's 2045 and marijuana is very well mainstream - a long retired and now family man Brock Nelson is now an occasional guest on the TV broadcast and starts spewing Brockisms while openly consuming on air.

On a serious note, I am very impressed with his season so far - he could be Bailey 2.0 - homegrown player, whipping boy for MANY years, finally comes into his own later in his 20's. There is no doubt Nelson knows what makes him successful at the NHL level (reach, positioning, wicked release), what's puzzling to us has been why he doesn't tap into those qualities regularly.

It is a contract year and money can be a motivator but I think it's a response to being coached by Trotz and being given a larger role.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I know drug talk is typically not tolerated but imagine this scenario where it's 2045 and marijuana is very well mainstream - a long retired and now family man Brock Nelson is now an occasional guest on the TV broadcast and starts spewing Brockisms while openly consuming on air.

On a serious note, I am very impressed with his season so far - he could be Bailey 2.0 - homegrown player, whipping boy for MANY years, finally comes into his own later in his 20's. There is no doubt Nelson knows what makes him successful at the NHL level (reach, positioning, wicked release), what's puzzling to us has been why he doesn't tap into those qualities regularly.

It is a contract year and money can be a motivator but I think it's a response to being coached by Trotz and being given a larger role.
I have always thought Nelson caught a lot of S..T but he is now under the tutelage of a professional coach. With that said he has managed to average 19.8 goals a year in his 5 previous NHL seasons not 9 years as some have previously mentioned, and will certainly eclipse that this year barring injury. As for your comments on his talents I wouldn't say he has a wicked release, he has a very good wrist shot but its telegraphed its not like a release you see from Bellows. But he has become this boards whipping boy over the years.In a league where scoring has become increasingly more difficult he manages to do it consistently. He is currently 27 years old if we can procure some decent center talent he could be moved to wing and we would probably all be happier.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have always thought Nelson caught a lot of S..T but he is now under the tutelage of a professional coach. With that said he has managed to average 19.8 goals a year in his 5 previous NHL seasons not 9 years as some have previously mentioned, and will certainly eclipse that this year barring injury. As for your comments on his talents I wouldn't say he has a wicked release, he has a very good wrist shot but its telegraphed its not like a release you see from Bellows. But he has become this boards whipping boy over the years.In a league where scoring has become increasingly more difficult he manages to do it consistently. He is currently 27 years old if we can procure some decent center talent he could be moved to wing and we would probably all be happier.
Then I'm going to tie Nelson's contract to what's left on Trotz's contract. I don't want to take the chance that Nelson is here longer than Barry Trotz and goes back to floating through a quarter of the season.:nod:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have never turned around on a player as much as this player maybe since Howard Johnson with the Mets... to me has been a 3 zone player this year and if Trotz is here for 3 years then this guy is going to evolve into what Lars Eller became with Washington. There are 4 players on the team that when they are on the ice, I expect things to go good... Boychuk, Cizikas, Barzal and Nelson

Reactions: bigtim1988

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
If Lee and or nelson don't sign before the trade deadline what do they do? That's two of their top forwards sitting in a playoff spot.

Trading lee / eberle the isles could recover from within MDC / Ho sang.

But the islanders C depth is lacking. If brock doesn't sign there is no organizational replacement right now no matter how well otto is playing.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
If Lee and or nelson don't sign before the trade deadline what do they do? That's two of their top forwards sitting in a playoff spot.

Trading lee / eberle the isles could recover from within MDC / Ho sang.

But the islanders C depth is lacking. If brock doesn't sign there is no organizational replacement right now no matter how well otto is playing.

Let’s go!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's been really good this year. His 2 way game has made me change my mind that the Isles would be better off resigning him this summer if the price is right.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He's been really good this year. His 2 way game has made me change my mind that the Isles would be better off resigning him this summer if the price is right.

What's a 50 pt Center playing a decently responsible 2 way game worth these days? I'd say somewhere between $5 - $5.5m for 5 years or so. If we can lock up Nelson at....call it $5.5m for 5 or 6 years, Lee for $6.7m for 6 years and then land one big FA...Panarin at $10m for 7 years, we've got something going.

Lee Nelson Bailey
Ladd Barzal Panarin
Tito Filppula Komarov
4th line

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Potentially a career year for Brock goals wise and pretty certain point wise with a bit more ice time (about 2-3 shifts per game).

His shooting percentage is about the same but +/- is greatly improved. Maybe a good fit for Trotz system.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What's a 50 pt Center playing a decently responsible 2 way game worth these days? I'd say somewhere between $5 - $5.5m for 5 years or so. If we can lock up Nelson at....call it $5.5m for 5 or 6 years, Lee for $6.7m for 6 years and then land one big FA...Panarin at $10m for 7 years, we've got something going.

Lee Nelson Bailey
Ladd Barzal Panarin
Tito Filppula Komarov
4th line

He's a big guy with some skill, and he is a lot better defensively than I ever gave him credit for until this year. He's opened my eyes/Isles. He is also a home grown Islander. I would try to sign him and Lee. A 5 year contract for a 27 year old until he is 32 is not something I would be too scared of. It's the cap hit. 5-5.5M for 5 years is my guess. You know Trotz likes him when he is out there with a min to go in a 1 goal lead. Centers are not easy to find.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If we can lock up Nelson at....call it $5.5m for 5 or 6 years, Lee for $6.7m for 6 years and then land one big FA...Panarin at $10m for 7 years, we've got something going.

Problem is that you've destroyed the Isles ability to create strength down the middle with a 1a/1b approach and that seems to be the biggest needle mover in terms of true Cup contention. Brock sits in that precipice where he's not good enough to be a true 1b/2a and too good to be a nice 3c. So, he's going to be one of those players that fits as a decent player playing above his weight-class on an bad to average team, like a Coyotes or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad