Brock Nelson

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Anyone else wanna see Frans on the first line? I think he could he really excel on the wing and give the first line a bit of a defensive presence.

Vanek-Tavares-Nielsen
Nelson-Bailey-Okposo

Maybe switch Bailey and Nelson, see whoever is more comfortable at centre

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm surprised Fred even put Rock on the 1st line, it's a move he never really makes.

IDK, Coach has come unglued this season. I've seen Nielsen and Tavares, Hickey with everybody, Martin up front one shift unless that was just a change...

I kind of wonder what would happen if they moved Okposo back with Bailey & Grabs, and kept Brock with Tavares and Vanek? Or did I just repeat what 30 people said this week alone?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
IDK, Coach has come unglued this season. I've seen Nielsen and Tavares, Hickey with everybody, Martin up front one shift unless that was just a change...

I kind of wonder what would happen if they moved Okposo back with Bailey & Grabs, and kept Brock with Tavares and Vanek? Or did I just repeat what 30 people said this week alone?

This is true.

Take a look at my lines on the first page lol.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Vanek and JT need extended time together, I prefer to keep them together. We've only seen glimpses, but the TV-JT-KO line can be beastly in offensive zone puck possession. In the short sample, their Corsi and Fenwick numbers were insane. I'd like to see more of that.

If you want to balance the top 2 lines, I'd prefer seeing:

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo

That would give us 2 strong lines. We already know that 2nd line has chemistry together. If Nelson continues to play with confidence, he could thrive on the 1st line with that dynamic duo.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but there is no way I'm taking Okposo off 1st line. I think Vanek on 2nd line give the team two lines with world class finishers...the more I think about it the more I think it is the right move. Not gonna happen though!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Anyone else wanna see Frans on the first line? I think he could he really excel on the wing and give the first line a bit of a defensive presence.

Vanek-Tavares-Nielsen
Nelson-Bailey-Okposo

Maybe switch Bailey and Nelson, see whoever is more comfortable at centre

Yup..been wanting this for over a year now. He's perfect for that role and I am sure production would go up almost immediately. Puck possession on that line would be Datsyuk-eqsue :cool:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm guessing you guys are fairly happy with Brock Nelson and optimistic about his upside? Currently my most coveted "one of us" Minny players playing elsewhere. Who would you compare his game too as far as areas he likes, physicality, etc?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
there are worse players to be measured against! Has he had much of a shot playing C? Wild fans seem to want Coyle playing C but I think he's been much better at wing. Is the idea to eventually let him anchor his own line or is a first line wing slot looking like a real keeper?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
there are worse players to be measured against! Has he had much of a shot playing C? Wild fans seem to want Coyle playing C but I think he's been much better at wing. Is the idea to eventually let him anchor his own line or is a first line wing slot looking like a real keeper?

I really, really hope he becomes a C. He looks good on wing but I have a feeling he'll be more comfortable at center.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I'd be in favor of keeping both Nelson AND Vanek on the first line. Vanek has played RW in the past so I think we should try a line of Nelson-Tavares-Vanek.

Makes too much sense!

Didn't Bailey, KO, and Franz play quite well together a season or two ago?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd be in favor of keeping both Nelson AND Vanek on the first line. Vanek has played RW in the past so I think we should try a line of Nelson-Tavares-Vanek.

Vanek is the new kid on the block and he's trying to find his role and place on a very close knit team, I prefer him staying at LW where he is most comfortable. Nelson will have to play his off wing if he stays on the top line. It's not a bad idea though, it would reunite our 2nd line that carried us down the stretch last year.

My concern up front is the 3rd line, PMB and Regin just don't seem to fit. Regin has been decent, but Strome would be an upgrade right now IMO. Regin better pick it up otherwise his inevitable Wally Pipp scenario with Strome could happen sooner than later. PMB just annoys me, trade him for a pick because I don't think we need him. He has picked up his play lately, but he's not good enough for our top-6 and his skillset is not ideal for bottom-6 duty. Nelson's emergence also makes him very expendable.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Vanek is the new kid on the block and he's trying to find his role and place on a very close knit team, I prefer him staying at LW where he is most comfortable. Nelson will have to play his off wing if he stays on the top line. It's not a bad idea though, it would reunite our 2nd line that carried us down the stretch last year.

My concern up front is the 3rd line, PMB and Regin just don't seem to fit. Regin has been decent, but Strome would be an upgrade right now IMO. Regin better pick it up otherwise his inevitable Wally Pipp scenario with Strome could happen sooner than later. PMB just annoys me, trade him for a pick because I don't think we need him. He has picked up his play lately, but he's not good enough for our top-6 and his skillset is not ideal for bottom-6 duty. Nelson's emergence also makes him very expendable.

Bouchard is useless because of Grabner, IMO. We only have room for one of those players on our roster and Grabner is just better. They are both small, perimeter players who are bad on the boards. Grabner is a better stick checker, better on the forecheck, and better defensively. And then obviously the speed.

We also have too many marginal top 6 guys anyway. Bailey (considering recent play), Grabner, Bouchard, Nelson (as of right now), etc. There's not enough spots in our top 6 for all these players along with JT, Vanek, Okposo, and Nielsen. Whoever gets slotted down has to play with Regin, which will completely kill said players offense.

That's why the Bouchard pick up was awful. Without playing alongside offensive players, he will be more useless than he already looks. I'd rather trade him for defensive depth since he's superfluous. An injury to players in our top 6 even without Bouchard allows you to put Grabner into the top 6 or bring up Strome or Lee. If there's an injury to our bottom 6 (which is the next scariest thing to our injured defense), that would prompt me to slot a defensive aware veteran down and slot Strome in the top 6.

I think these are the moves that need to be made with an anemic defense. This teams needs to learn from its mistakes of plugging in a rookie offensive player into a role that is extremely difficult to score. Basically, Nino's first 15-20 games vs. Nelson's first 15-20 games and the differing situations they played in.

Something like this would be fun:
Vanek-JT-Bailey
Strome-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-McDonald
Martin-Cizikas-Clutter

I think that this can be one of our most balanced lineups. There is defense, scoring (except 4th), and physicality in the corners on every line. I think Strome would benefit GREATLY from playing with Nielsen. With a real coach, you could swap Bailey and Strome based on situation as it reunites that familiar second line and creates a purely offensive first line -- maybe if we are down a goal.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bouchard is useless because of Grabner, IMO. We only have room for one of those players on our roster and Grabner is just better. They are both small, perimeter players who are bad on the boards. Grabner is a better stick checker, better on the forecheck, and better defensively. And then obviously the speed.

We also have too many marginal top 6 guys anyway. Bailey (considering recent play), Grabner, Bouchard, Nelson (as of right now), etc. There's not enough spots in our top 6 for all these players along with JT, Vanek, Okposo, and Nielsen. Whoever gets slotted down has to play with Regin, which will completely kill said players offense.

That's why the Bouchard pick up was awful. Without playing alongside offensive players, he will be more useless than he already looks. I'd rather trade him for defensive depth since he's superfluous. An injury to players in our top 6 even without Bouchard allows you to put Grabner into the top 6 or bring up Strome or Lee. If there's an injury to our bottom 6 (which is the next scariest thing to our injured defense), that would prompt me to slot a defensive aware veteran down and slot Strome in the top 6.

I think these are the moves that need to be made with an anemic defense. This teams needs to learn from its mistakes of plugging in a rookie offensive player into a role that is extremely difficult to score. Basically, Nino's first 15-20 games vs. Nelson's first 15-20 games and the differing situations they played in.

Something like this would be fun:
Vanek-JT-Bailey
Strome-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-McDonald
Martin-Cizikas-Clutter

I think that this can be one of our most balanced lineups. There is defense, scoring (except 4th), and physicality in the corners on every line. I think Strome would benefit GREATLY from playing with Nielsen. With a real coach, you could swap Bailey and Strome based on situation as it reunites that familiar second line and creates a purely offensive first line -- maybe if we are down a goal.

The Isles seem to have decided they prefer Strome in the center role while Nelson looks like he will end up a big PF top 6 winger which would be great for us long term.

I think when Strome joins us he'll center the 3rd line for us and eventually if he progresses take over as 2nd center with Frans moving to 3rd center but we're taking long term here.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The kid is getting better by the game...Hes a beast in from of the net...He also hasa bit of a nasty side to him that I didn't know about....Hes really progressing faster than I thought...

Hes strong,defensivly reliable, and is skilled...

I always preferred to move Strome to wing and Brock to center because I thought brock would be Jordan Staal/Kesler type..

But the way he has looked on the wing in a top line role has been very impressive...

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
They finally started using him on the powerplay where he is very successful in that right side faceoff circle from hash marks to bottom of the circle. I've been pleading for this for a while.... nice to see it finally happen.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The Isles seem to have decided they prefer Strome in the center role while Nelson looks like he will end up a big PF top 6 winger which would be great for us long term.

I think when Strome joins us he'll center the 3rd line for us and eventually if he progresses take over as 2nd center with Frans moving to 3rd center but we're taking long term here.

I don't disagree, although I think this is a mistake for this season. I think the general (and exciting plan) is to have that 1-2 punch down the middle of JT-Strome. Obviously if that doesn't work, then alongside each other.

But I think dropping Strome into this line up right now as the #3C is a bad move. Asking him to be the creator of offense on his line and be defensively responsible in place of Regin (who, like it or not, will be miles better than Strome at defense at the NHL level right now) is a mistake. No need to watch him rack up the minuses and struggle offensively. We've seen that with a top 5 pick already. It's time this franchise puts its players in a position to succeed. The evidence is there with Nelson, albeit a small sample size.

Nielsen playing with Strome is a perfect mentor for him. He's a great passer and can help Strome offensively while also teaching him defensive responsibility. I think, when Strome comes up, he needs to be on the wing in the top 6.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Okposo with 20 points is not coming off the first line. he and JT have obvious chemistry now and it's just growing.

Bailey and Okposo were on even footing entering the season, but KO has taken the next step (or two) with JT and Bailey has not - while playing with Frans who has 21 pts (8 came on the PP).

Kyle only has 4 PP pts which means his ES production is impressive for a team that really needs that. JT has 10 PP pts, 12 ES pts - Kyle is creating a lot on his own and is a team leading +6. He's our #1 RW.

Nelson has shown us a solid game with some finesse. I'd like to see what he can do on the 2nd line with Frans and Bailey. Frans is playing out of his mind and we need to find the two wingers who mesh with him the best. Doubt Bailey is coming off that line and doesn't deserve to be on the top line. PMB, Nelson and Grabner are competing for ice time and PP time. Hopefully one will emerge and force their hand to stick on line 2.

PMB looks better to me every game. Grabner is stagnating after looking very good early. But those two with Regin should produce a bit on the 3rd.

The 4th line is skating better but just not producing and is getting scored on. The lines have not solidified at all yet but they will I hope.

Vanek will certainly be on the top line when he returns unless he plays himself off it for at least 10 games.

After JT, Frans and KO all with 20 or more points, no one else is in double digits. We need balanced scoring and the bottom two lines should get to play against lesser D with a lot of attention going to the top 2 lines. They need to find Nelson's role soon and not bounce him around. It's still early. By game 40, the team needs to be a few games over .500 and the lines should sort themselves out. Brock has a nice upside and hope he gets the ice time to continue to grow.

I love coming on here and finding my views so well articulated before I've even posted! :handclap:

Vanek needs to stay on line 1 til we know what we have and the JT and Okie show needs to continue for now too. Watching Brock has been a bright spot over the last few games and I was as stunned as anyone when he appeared on the top line, who got Cappy to do that?! I think it's fair to say #BrockFreed!

But I think dropping Strome into this line up right now as the #3C is a bad move. Asking him to be the creator of offense on his line and be defensively responsible in place of Regin (who, like it or not, will be miles better than Strome at defense at the NHL level right now) is a mistake. No need to watch him rack up the minuses and struggle offensively. We've seen that with a top 5 pick already. It's time this franchise puts its players in a position to succeed. The evidence is there with Nelson, albeit a small sample size.

I agree with this too, with the caveat that if Bailey/Grabner don't improve surely there must be a spot for Strome later on this year somewhere in the top 6?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
They finally started using him on the powerplay where he is very successful in that right side faceoff circle from hash marks to bottom of the circle. I've been pleading for this for a while.... nice to see it finally happen.

I especially like that he is willing to go to the front of the net-he's big and strong enough to cause some havoc and seems to have the hands for tip-ins or so called "garbage goals".

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The kid is getting better by the game...Hes a beast in from of the net...He also hasa bit of a nasty side to him that I didn't know about....Hes really progressing faster than I thought...

I always preferred to move Strome to wing and Brock to center because I thought brock would be Jordan Staal/Kesler type..

But the way he has looked on the wing in a top line role has been very impressive...

I'm not sure I've seen this as much as you although lately it seems like he's playing the body more. I'd love to see him get a bit more physical and take every opportunity to punish the other team. But, I recognize he's still getting acclimated to the NHL and that stuff will come more with time.

In the interim, seeing his goal on Saturday night was a thing of beauty. With his size, he belongs on the power play clogging the middle and potting those loose pucks.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I think he's playing with a lot more confidence but to be frank, I don't think he's played any better than he was playing. He's just having better results because he's on the top line and getting PP time.

Capuano should have recognized this kid's ability after the first few games and put him with some offensive players, not turning him into another Matt Martin. (As an aside, even Matt Martin could have been better than Matt Martin if he'd honed his offense in the AHL! Like Anders Lee is doing, thankfully)

I don't dislike Capuano like most on here. I just think his inability to see what's RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, by watching the games, the shifts, what the players do/don't do well and ensuring he's maximizing the team's output (the individual's output) is hurting this team.

When the Isles play inspired though, with energy, they are unbeatable (assuming they get goaltending) - even with the defense the way it is.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
When the Isles play inspired though, with energy, they are unbeatable (assuming they get goaltending) - even with the defense the way it is.

This. And you know what...they're so much fun to watch. When they're getting in on that forecheck and and start buzzing there is no better team to watch play.

That 3rd period against the Wings was very encouraging to see. They haven't played that well all year. Like not even close. I really hope they can keep it going now.

As for Nelson, I'm hoping he can develop into something like what the Leafs have in JVR - he's been great for them this year. Tall lanky winger who attacks the net, is smart and can skate.

Next Year:
Vanek - JT - KO
Grabz - Franz - Bailz
Brock - Strome - Clutterbuck
Martin - Zeeker - CMac

Last edited:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I'm guessing you guys are fairly happy with Brock Nelson and optimistic about his upside? Currently my most coveted "one of us" Minny players playing elsewhere. Who would you compare his game too as far as areas he likes, physicality, etc?

I think Nelson has talent but I think the thing I'm most impressed with so far is his willingness to get to the dirty areas in front of the net and compete. There are kids all over the world with a lot of talent but you make a living in the NHL in front of the net IMO. Nelson has a bright future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad