Brock Nelson

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Because he's not a good player. Trade him to Anaheim for Luca Sbisa.

:squint: Not sure if serious. Oh actually I think I remember that you never liked Bailey, so it's not surprising that you would say that.

Quick question: Do you think Sbisa is a good player? And if so, what makes him good?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Like the improvement we've seen (some outstanding plays last night); that can happen when you're playing with talent (see 1st line v. 4th line); that said, call me conservative, I'd send him down to Bridgeport for a full year to polish his offensive/defensive skills. Next year he'll be better suited to take over a full-time role in the middle 2 lines.

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
I'm not sure why everyone is so against splitting up vanek and Tavares. I feel like with them split up we can have sold lines instead of one solid line

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I'm not sure why everyone is so against splitting up vanek and Tavares. I feel like with them split up we can have sold lines instead of one solid line

They would have 2 solid lines if Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was the 2nd line and they already have a lot of chemistry together. You can put Bailey back to LW rather than playing RW.

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
They would have 2 solid lines if Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was the 2nd line and they already have a lot of chemistry together. You can put Bailey back to LW rather than playing RW.

That's true. Keep nelson on the first? Didn't bailey neilsen and Okposo have real good chemistry last year also.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hink its clear that Nelson is best suited for a skilled role on a skilled line...We tried to ease him in as a third/fourth line checker but I think its obvious at this point that the kid needs to be in an offensive scoring line....Hes big,has lots of skill, and can win battles...

Can Vanek play RW? Also Bailey is better on the left side then the right imo....

Nelson-JT-Vanek
Bailey-Nielsen-Okie

Trade PMB for defensive help....

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hate to say it, but at this point, Bailey is not good enough to get us Sbisa.

Has anyone seen Sbisa play the last couple of years? He's hasn't lived up to what we thought he would from a couple of years ago. He's not the answer if we're going to trade anyone of significance.

Besides, Snow probably has zero interest because Sbisa has the same agent as Nino.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Has anyone seen Sbisa play the last couple of years? He's hasn't lived up to what we thought he would from a couple of years ago. He's not the answer if we're going to trade anyone of significance.

Besides, Snow probably has zero interest because Sbisa has the same agent as Nino.

This, and I was a big Sbisa fan as anyone....Hes not the Answer to our problems...and def not worth giving up Bailey for...

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

lol clearly they haven't....

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Okposo with 20 points is not coming off the first line. he and JT have obvious chemistry now and it's just growing.

Bailey and Okposo were on even footing entering the season, but KO has taken the next step (or two) with JT and Bailey has not - while playing with Frans who has 21 pts (8 came on the PP).

Kyle only has 4 PP pts which means his ES production is impressive for a team that really needs that. JT has 10 PP pts, 12 ES pts - Kyle is creating a lot on his own and is a team leading +6. He's our #1 RW.

Nelson has shown us a solid game with some finesse. I'd like to see what he can do on the 2nd line with Frans and Bailey. Frans is playing out of his mind and we need to find the two wingers who mesh with him the best. Doubt Bailey is coming off that line and doesn't deserve to be on the top line. PMB, Nelson and Grabner are competing for ice time and PP time. Hopefully one will emerge and force their hand to stick on line 2.

PMB looks better to me every game. Grabner is stagnating after looking very good early. But those two with Regin should produce a bit on the 3rd.

The 4th line is skating better but just not producing and is getting scored on. The lines have not solidified at all yet but they will I hope.

Vanek will certainly be on the top line when he returns unless he plays himself off it for at least 10 games.

After JT, Frans and KO all with 20 or more points, no one else is in double digits. We need balanced scoring and the bottom two lines should get to play against lesser D with a lot of attention going to the top 2 lines. They need to find Nelson's role soon and not bounce him around. It's still early. By game 40, the team needs to be a few games over .500 and the lines should sort themselves out. Brock has a nice upside and hope he gets the ice time to continue to grow.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And to think...We could have tried Nelson on the 1st line before making the Vanek deal and if Brock showed he belonged he could have been JT's first line winger with Moulson dropping to the 2nd/3rd line.

...And we could have still dealt Moulson at the deadline for a first round pick so we would be the ones with two first round picks next year instead of none.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
And to think...We could have tried Nelson on the 1st line before making the Vanek deal and if Brock showed he belonged he could have been JT's first line winger with Moulson dropping to the 2nd/3rd line.

...And we could have still dealt Moulson at the deadline for a first round pick so we would be the ones with two first round picks next year instead of none.

If they were in a playoff race, they wouldn't trade Moulson for a 1st round pick. If they did, that would send a terrible message to the team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If they were in a playoff race, they wouldn't trade Moulson for a 1st round pick. If they did, that would send a terrible message to the team.

Fair enough. But if a rock was showing he could be a first liner they could have dealt Moulson for a defenseman.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
To play devils advocate here... Had Brock not played well on the first line and another trwm had made the trade for Vanek, I feel like we would go through the same song and dance...

Every argument would be made about how
-Snow needs to make trades like that
-We could have given that up for a proven player like Vanek
-etc....

End of the day Vanek is an upgrade to any line. Brock showing ability with Tavares is awesome for fans to see. However, we also have to keep in mind that this was with Tavares. The guy made PA a household name and Boyes relevant again. Nothing short of merical work lol.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

seen Bailey play this year? cant imagine people wanting 4 more years of that. He needs to turn it on..

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
To play devils advocate here... Had Brock not played well on the first line and another trwm had made the trade for Vanek, I feel like we would go through the same song and dance...

Every argument would be made about how
-Snow needs to make trades like that
-We could have given that up for a proven player like Vanek
-etc....

End of the day Vanek is an upgrade to any line. Brock showing ability with Tavares is awesome for fans to see. However, we also have to keep in mind that this was with Tavares. The guy made PA a household name and Boyes relevant again. Nothing short of merical work lol.

People thinking Brock has only looked good because of Tavares aren't watching the game.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Yes there is but when you're a top six player and have the kind of skill he does you can't disappear from the stat sheet for large swathes of time. Look, I love his game but he has not shown the kind of SCORING consistency that a a top six player needs to show on this level. And there's a reason he has the label- because it's been happening throughout his career. He's not a muck and grind guy. He's a scorer with good all around skills. He kinda reminds me of John Tonelli but the points aren't there yet.

This claim is really frustrating to me. It's not disappearing when you do other things well other than scoring. Not to mention, that whole line stopped producing pretty much after Grabner was dropped to the 3rd line after his suspension. Bailey does a lot of things well away from the puck and with the puck, other than score. There is more to the game than scoring points

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Personally, I LOVE the idea!

Nelson - Tavares - KO
Vanek - Frans - Bailey

serious matchup problems for any team to deal with.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
People thinking Brock has only looked good because of Tavares aren't watching the game.

I am no in way saying that is the only reason. However, the difference in play was evident from his 3/4 line shifts to his 1st line shifts.

To say playing with Tavares wouldn't elevate ANYONE'S game is not being totally fair either.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Because he's not a good player. Trade him to Anaheim for Luca Sbisa.

Absolutely (not necessarily Sbisa, but trading Bailey for a solid defenseman is a great move to make right now)...with Nelson showing he can succeed with talent and hold his own on a 3rd or 4th line i'm confident that we can move Bailey for a defenseman. I just think Snow is to smitten on Bailey to pull the trigger, but I hope he does.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Personally, I LOVE the idea!

Nelson - Tavares - KO
Vanek - Frans - Bailey

serious matchup problems for any team to deal with.

Vanek and JT need extended time together, I prefer to keep them together. We've only seen glimpses, but the TV-JT-KO line can be beastly in offensive zone puck possession. In the short sample, their Corsi and Fenwick numbers were insane. I'd like to see more of that.

If you want to balance the top 2 lines, I'd prefer seeing:

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo

That would give us 2 strong lines. We already know that 2nd line has chemistry together. If Nelson continues to play with confidence, he could thrive on the 1st line with that dynamic duo.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
:squint: Not sure if serious. Oh actually I think I remember that you never liked Bailey, so it's not surprising that you would say that.

Quick question: Do you think Sbisa is a good player? And if so, what makes him good?

I think he's a good defenseman and I think he'd be a good fit with this defense (especially Visnovsky). Bailey just isn't working out. Change of scenery could do both players good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->