Friedman: Brock Nelson rumored to be available - Devils have interest

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I can understand why Shero might be interested. He has the hallmarks of a Shero special. Buy at low value with RFA coming up that the current team won’t want to pay the player. That said, the Shero special is a second and third and usually someone else’s second and third that he’s acquired in another deal. NJ doesn’t have those assets right now and unless NYI are interested in a B+ prospect like John Quenneville or some sort of rental package like Moore and Gibbons or Stafford with maybe Brian Boyle to hold down the center spot vacated by Nelson it’s unlikely a deal gets made with a division rival.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can understand why Shero might be interested. He has the hallmarks jimof a Shero special. Buy at low value with RFA coming up that the current team won’t want to pay the player. That said, the Shero special is a second and third and usually someone else’s second and third that he’s acquired in another deal. NJ doesn’t have those assets right now and unless NYI are interested in a B+ prospect like John Quenneville or some sort of rental package like Moore and Gibbons or Stafford with maybe Brian Boyle to hold down the center spot vacated by Nelson it’s unlikely a deal gets made with a division rival.

I do not expect a deal between the two teams.
isles need a solid 2nd pairing D. Isles do not need more prospects or picks.
And won't be selling Nelson cheaply to NJ.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ben Lovejoy is a solid d-man. Last year was the anomaly, not this year.

My comment was in jest. I agree Lovejoy has been solid in his more limited role. But if we had to move a defender at all, he'd obviously be the one.

That said, I don't see Nelson in our plans nor do I think we make good trade partners with the Isles.

Reactions: Deathstroke

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Pick can be adjusted.

Plekanec is a notable upgrade over Nelson as 3C for a cup run. You also free yourself up a bunch of cap to throw money at JT.

Petry > Beauv at least today, so picks are meant to balance that out a bit.
Yeah we're in for a cup run! And I don't know how you can compare Petry (who is 10 years older!) to Beauvillier. Totally absurd and they play different position.
Basically your offer is :
Nelson for Petry (these two have close value, maybe the Isles would have to add a little)
Plekanec (50% retain) and a 5th for Beauvillier and a 1st! Hahaha! what a joke!

Nice try but easy no thanks for me.

Reactions: 12Dog

My3Sons

Sponsor
I do not expect a deal between the two teams.
isles need a solid 2nd pairing D. Isles do not need more prospects or picks.
And won't be selling Nelson cheaply to NJ.

My guess is that Shero offered some sort of buy low deal and Isles said no and that gets reported as “interest”. That said, I’m sure EDM fans said Hall wouldn’t be sold low and had they known about it, I’m guessing Washington fans wouldn’t have seen Marcus Johansson traded for a low ball offer and I know ANA fans expected more for Vatanen but they really needed two forwards desperately at that point. If the Isles want to make a run with this post season and they don’t want to pay Nelson he might just go for the best defender offered at the deadline. It might not be John Moore from NJ but don’t be surprised by a suboptimal return trading a forward for a defender.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Isles would not take the slow skating Alzner,having a crappy season and in the 1st yr of an awful contract, off waivers.

Stop trying to peddle your trash contracts to LI.

Let’s be honest, Clutterbuck isn’t a great contract either...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
My guess is that Shero offered some sort of buy low deal and Isles said no and that gets reported as “interest”. That said, I’m sure EDM fans said Hall wouldn’t be sold low and had they known about it, I’m guessing Washington fans wouldn’t have seen Marcus Johansson traded for a low ball offer and I know ANA fans expected more for Vatanen but they really needed two forwards desperately at that point. If the Isles want to make a run with this post season and they don’t want to pay Nelson he might just go for the best defender offered at the deadline. It might not be John Moore from NJ but don’t be surprised by a suboptimal return trading a forward for a defender.
Oilers were desperate for a top pairing D and willing to overpay.
Caps were in a cap crunch.
Isles are not facing either situation.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oilers were desperate for a top pairing D and willing to overpay.
Caps were in a cap crunch.
Isles are not facing either situation.

So holding out for a better trade after the fact on a superfluous player rather than take the best offer you can get to upgrade a position of need for what might be your only playoff run with Tavares? Got it. Makes total sense that you get a somewhat better return rather than maybe win an extra playoff round which might convince Tavares to sign in LI because things are looking up.

I’m not saying his to be provocative. Just think about your preference and realize teams will accept less than an ideal return on a trade if it furthers their agenda. Isles should make a strong effort at a playoff push this year and Nelson’s ok but nothing too special and he’s not really needed this season. So you don’t get to package him with other assets to land a bigger fish in the offseason. Don’t you think the franchise needs some playoff success right now over a slightly better defender? All franchises get to the point where you have to make an effort to win now and it’s the Isles turn this season. If 2D is a position of need add a second rounder to Nelson and get the best D you can and if the Isles win a round and push the second round to 7 games it’s worth it. When was the last time the Isles won a playoff game? The fans deserve some success. Teams that manage assets perpetually don’t seem to have a great track record of winning. If Tavares leaves the team can go back to asset management next season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So holding out for a better trade after the fact on a superfluous player rather than take the best offer you can get to upgrade a position of need for what might be your only playoff run with Tavares? Got it. Makes total sense that you get a somewhat better return rather than maybe win an extra playoff round which might convince Tavares to sign in LI because things are looking up.

I’m not saying his to be provocative. Just think about your preference and realize teams will accept less than an ideal return on a trade if it furthers their agenda. Isles should make a strong effort at a playoff push this year and Nelson’s ok but nothing too special and he’s not really needed this season. So you don’t get to package him with other assets to land a bigger fish in the offseason. Don’t you think the franchise needs some playoff success right now over a slightly better defender? All franchises get to the point where you have to make an effort to win now and it’s the Isles turn this season. If 2D is a position of need add a second rounder to Nelson and get the best D you can and if the Isles win a round and push the second round to 7 games it’s worth it. When was the last time the Isles won a playoff game? The fans deserve some success. Teams that manage assets perpetually don’t seem to have a great track record of winning. If Tavares leaves the team can go back to asset management next season.
Spare me the dire warnings.JT is not staying because the nyi make a ***** trade.

And nowhere have l said the nyi should not make trades to improve the roster. I am not interested in these NJ proposals.
Not trading Nelson for rentals or prospects who are no more top 4 D, then the isles own unproven, developing youngsters.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nelson for Johnson makes sense.

If CBJ is looking to add a player like Galchenyuk (which deals proposed from MTL fans starts with Dubois), Nelson would be a cheaper option. Both don't add much other than scoring (talking away from offense). Their Goals per game are nearly identical in their careers, AG obviously destroys him in overall points.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nelson for Johnson makes sense.

If CBJ is looking to add a player like Galchenyuk (which deals proposed from MTL fans starts with Dubois), Nelson would be a cheaper option. Both don't add much other than scoring (talking away from offense). Their Goals per game are nearly identical in their careers, AG obviously destroys him in overall points.
With Johnson's on ice struggles he is not anywhere near the top.of my wishlist.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Spare me the dire warnings.JT is not staying because the nyi make a ***** trade.

And nowhere have l said the nyi should not make trades to improve the roster. I am not interested in these NJ proposals.
Not trading Nelson for rentals or prospects who are no more top 4 D, then the isles own unproven, developing youngsters.

Who said anything about a NJ proposal? I said trade him for the best D you can get. I also didn’t say that Tavares stays because of a trade. My point is that maybe if the Isles win a round he sees an upward trend in the franchise and it makes him more likely to stay. And what dire warning? Anyway, if you really saw those straw men in my discussion as noted above none of that was intentional. NJ will be in the same boat soon with Hall. The team will put on a playoff push next season and superfluous players will be at risk to get the team into the playoffs and maybe win a round. Maybe Zacha gets traded next season if he hasn’t taken hold of the 2C spot. Don’t be paranoid and assume I’m trying to hoodwink you into a NJ trade proposal. I think they can get a slightly better defender than Moore for him if they add a sweetener and then NJ is out. But this is NHL reality when the franchise heads to UFA. Every team that hasn’t won recently will have to deal with it. It just so happens it’s the Isles turn this year. Next year it will be NJ’s turn when they want to extend Hall after he next offseason he will want to see a chance if winning if he signs what is likely his last contract.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who said anything about a NJ proposal? I said trade him for the best D you can get. I also didn’t say that Tavares stays because of a trade. My point is that maybe if the Isles win a round he sees an upward trend in the franchise and it makes him more likely to stay. And what dire warning? Anyway, if you really saw those straw men in my discussion as noted above none of that was intentional. NJ will be in the same boat soon with Hall. The team will put on a playoff push next season and superfluous players will be at risk to get the team into the playoffs and maybe win a round. Maybe Zacha gets traded next season if he hasn’t taken hold of the 2C spot. Don’t be paranoid and assume I’m trying to hoodwink you into a NJ trade proposal. I think they can get a slightly better defender than Moore for him if they add a sweetener and then NJ is out. But this is NHL reality when the franchise heads to UFA. Every team that hasn’t won recently will have to deal with it. It just so happens it’s the Isles turn this year. Next year it will be NJ’s turn when they want to extend Hall after he next offseason he will want to see a chance if winning if he signs what is likely his last contract.
Snow's got extra 1st and 2nds along with some promising blueline prospects he could package with Nelson. With De Haan, Hickey and Seids heading for free agency, Isles should be looking for a top 4 ,with at least 1 more season beyond this one on his contract.

No interest in the Devils impending ufas or prospects.

Reactions: 12Dog

My3Sons

Sponsor
Snow's got extra 1st and 2nds along with some promising blueline prospects he could package with Nelson. With De Haan, Hickey and Seids heading for free agency, Isles should be looking for a top 4 ,with at least 1 more season beyond this one on his contract.

No interest in the Devils impending ufas or prospects.

Thanks that last point wasn’t clear in your earlier posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad