Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Sure, that's fair enough I probably have Boeser as a 35 goal/65 point guy if he's the same player as last year going forward.

My problem isn't exactly with the production analysis it's with the James Neal comparison, but since you cleared that up we're good.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Growth isnt always linear either..

Bobby Ryan had 57 points (31g) in 64 games as a 21 year old which is extremely close to Boeser.

His career is arguably worse than Neal's lol

EP on the other hand..... That's a different story lol. Protect that man at all cost

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes his ceiling is higher, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him carve out a similar career. It doesn't always go perfect. Boeser shot is obviously more elite, but Neal is by far the better skater.

Neal is also bigger, stronger, more aggressive and less creative with the puck etc. etc. etc.

But if you look at what Neal did in Jr he sort of found his game late in the AHL and has a bit of a unusual career trajectory in general.

Where as Boeser was elite in the NCAA hit the ground running in the NHL and we've yet to see what he can do, barring injuries stunting his progress.

30+30 is a pretty safe bet for him. Something that Neal has only hit twice.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Neal is also bigger, stronger, more aggressive and less creative with the puck etc. etc. etc.

But if you look at what Neal did in Jr he sort of found his game late in the AHL and has a bit of a unusual career trajectory in general.

Where as Boeser was elite in the NCAA hit the ground running in the NHL and we've yet to see what he can do, barring injuries stunting his progress.

30+30 is a pretty safe bet for him. Something that Neal has only hit twice.

Neal has had 5 seasons where he either hit above 30-30 or was on pace to hit 30-30 or extremely close to it. Like I said he's a career 30g 57p player.

2009-2010 , on pace for 28g-29a

2011-2012 40g-41a

2012-2013 , on pace for 41g-30a

2013-2014 , on pace for 38g-49a

2015-2016 , 31g-27a

But yes, he's played with Malkin in his best years , but was still able to produce at a 30-30 pace on two separate teams outside of Pitts.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Neal has had 5 seasons where he either hit above 30-30 or was on pace to hit 30-30 or extremely close to it. Like I said he's a career 30g 57p player.

2009-2010 , on pace for 28g-29a

2011-2012 40g-41a

2012-2013 , on pace for 41g-30a

2013-2014 , on pace for 38g-49a

2015-2016 , 31g-27a

But yes, he's played with Malkin in his best years , but was still able to produce at a 30-30 pace on two separate teams outside of Pitts.

So he had two years where he didn't quite hit 30-30 without Malkin, and has generally been a 25-25 player without him. And the one year in Dallas he came close was playing with 91-point Brad Richards. I don't think Boeser is going to be a true franchise player but I would be pretty disappointed with the numbers of a complementary piece like Neal. Pacioretty numbers seem more realistic

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So he had two years where he didn't quite hit 30-30 without Malkin, and has generally been a 25-25 player without him. And the one year in Dallas he came close was playing with 91-point Brad Richards. I don't think Boeser is going to be a true franchise player but I would be pretty disappointed with the numbers of a complementary piece like Neal. Pacioretty numbers seem more realistic

I'd agree with this.

But... its sort of an arbitrary number that for some reason to me is a bench mark of a different level of player.

Neal = +25g +25a
I project Boeser as a +30g +30a guy. I am not 100% sure, but I feel like 25+25 winger is rather easy to find but 30+30 is much rarer. No stats to back this up. Just a feeling.

Reactions: F A N

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Is he back? He's looking a little quicker out there and shooting more... is it legit?
Takes time to get back to his usual pace, but if this is him struggling at 4 game 4 points pace, cant wait to see him at 100%

:yo:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Feeling less nervous now about Brock's recovery, and it feels good. Of course, that has now been replaced with feeling nervous about Pettersson's recovery. Can we just have our two exciting young forwards that the future of the team is hinging on be healthy at the same time for awhile so I and everyone else can relax, pls? I'M NOT ASKING FOR MUCH.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Say whatever you want
He’s slowly looking more like last season Brock
Had another great shot that almost went in, this is his game, he’s not fast enough to drive a line, but his hockey sense and pass/shot makes him a perfect linemate for a play maker.
Usually unnoticeable until a scoring chance came to him.
Expecting a big home stand from him.
I will say play him with Elias, but we don’t have enough skilled RW, Bo needs a weapon on his line for now

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I do just wish we knew more about how he's doing. I get the team isn't transparent and I'd hope that they're doing right by him, but all I want to know is if he's slow because of taking so much time off or if he's slow because of his back :(

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
So what is that now? Wrist, Back and Groin. I also heard on the radio that his foot was sore off of a Gudbranson shot in practice?

Sit this guy if he needs to heal. He hasn't looked right. I'm concerned about his play (production aside).
Practice? I'm wondering if it wasn't that Gudbranson shot he took in the middle of the third period of the last game.

He also took a pretty big spill into the boards and came up lame, in that same period. Rough night for him overall. I knew something was up, the way he rose to his feet after that collision. He looked like he was trying to hide an incredible amount of pain without anyone noticing.

Give him the rest time he needs. Lord knows we're not in a rush to be good...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Practice? I'm wondering if it wasn't that Gudbranson shot he took in the middle of the third period of the last game.

He also took a pretty big spill into the boards and came up lame, in that same period. Rough night for him overall. I knew something was up, the way he rose to his feet after that collision. He looked like he was trying to hide an incredible amount of pain without anyone noticing.

Give him the rest time he needs. Lord knows we're not in a rush to be good...
Coach Green says hurt his groin against the Jets, tho Gudbransons shot probs didnt help

Lineup could be not watch worthy, check it

Baertchi Horvat Eriksson
Goldobin Gaudette Virtanen
Lipesic Sutter Roussell
Schaller Granlund Clamato

:cry:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Coach Green says hurt his groin against the Jets, tho Gudbransons shot probs didnt help

Lineup could be not watch worthy, check it

Baertchi Horvat Eriksson
Goldobin Gaudette Virtanen
Lipesic Sutter Roussell
Schaller Granlund Clamato

:cry:
Sad as that is, and my god is that sad, I'm still just barely interested enough. Gaudette had a monster game vs the Caps. Wanna see if he gets a bigger opportunity with Boeser out. I like how Green's managed his minutes so far considering he's coming out of college, and I do expect Gaudette to have a terrible second half if he makes it that long, so this is probably gonna be his biggest shot to make an impression.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd agree with this.

But... its sort of an arbitrary number that for some reason to me is a bench mark of a different level of player.

Neal = +25g +25a
I project Boeser as a +30g +30a guy. I am not 100% sure, but I feel like 25+25 winger is rather easy to find but 30+30 is much rarer. No stats to back this up. Just a feeling.

I project Boeser as a 30+ goal scorer as well.

You never know with players though. I remember reading an article way back that one of the reasons for drafting Yashin was that he worked really hard at his game and in his early days he did show the drive and desire to be the best.

I say this because Bobby Ryan just lacked drive and is known to have subpar conditioning. Plus he keeps getting injured and doesn't have the type of shot and one-time ability Boeser and Neal has.

Neal has had a great career and he's proven that he can score regardless of teammates and can get hot with an elite C feeding him the puck. But Neal isn't known as a hard worker on the ice, which I think is where Boeser has the edge right now. But Boeser isn't the most fleet of foot. Injuries can certainly derail Boeser's ability to be that next level scorer.

I think it's safe to say that after Boeser's season last season, we are all hoping that he is an elite goal scorer here for years to come. I can see the possibility that injuries can result in him having a career that more closely mirror Neal's which isn't the worst thing. Neal playing with Malkin was a 30+ 60+ point guy had they stayed healthy together.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It feels like there's something that Brock and the organization isn't telling us with regards to Brock's back. He's clearly lost a step and doesn't look like he's able to skate very hard right now. If his back was still bothering him and he isn't 100% because of it, then it feels like the organization would have already said so. The fact that the entire organization has been kinda mum on this leads me to believe this back issue is something Brock might have to deal with his entire career. This might be the new normal for him.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
It feels like there's something that Brock and the organization isn't telling us with regards to Brock's back. He's clearly lost a step and doesn't look like he's able to skate very hard right now. If his back was still bothering him and he isn't 100% because of it, then it feels like the organization would have already said so. The fact that the entire organization has been kinda mum on this leads me to believe this back issue is something Brock might have to deal with his entire career. This might be the new normal for him.

dude its only october and he said at the start of his season his back is still sore to the touch. he couldnt train properly in the off season lets wait until the new year to make any crazy assumptions.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad