Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
IMO he put on too much weight too fast. 10 pounds of muscle in one off season is a lot. He was already a slightly below average skater and should of focused on getting leaner and quicker. Hopefully he is able to adjust as the season progresses.

Ya I was worried about that too. Well built guys who gain 10-15 pounds of muscle during the off season often lose speed.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ya I was worried about that too. Well built guys who gain 10-15 pounds of muscle during the off season often lose speed.
I remember how awestruck i was after seeing his training camp presser...

bo-horvat-and-brock-boeser-of-the-vancouver-canucks-answer-questions-from-the-media.jpg

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
His line is getting rolled at even strength. 7 Ga against, 1 for. Would be a much better line if they were sheltered

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
His line is getting rolled at even strength. 7 Ga against, 1 for. Would be a much better line if they were sheltered
Lets not forget that Coach Green forces the GudPoo pairing on Boesers line almost EVERY time. Its no excuse for Boeser but all these little things add up and is no suprise the tough start

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He needs to definitely shed some weight, just saw his latest interview and his face looks much bigger than last year. Anyways, he is starting to get better, 4 shots in his last game and started looking a bit faster on the ice.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He needs to definitely shed some weight, just saw his latest interview and his face looks much bigger than last year. Anyways, he is starting to get better, 4 shots in his last game and started looking a bit faster on the ice.
Yeah and his positioning seemed a lil better too. Maybe its a combo of lack of confidence, too much muscle/weight added, back injury recovery, rist injury, stuck with GoodPoo

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
If it was just weight gain slowing him down then how did he dominate the noncontact Da Beauty League and win MPV. I had a back injury once but after rehab and a month of hockey, I wasn't hesitating anymore and my confidence was back to normal. However my back injury was not as severe as Brock's.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
One goal and people are just going to pretend that he’s all of a sudden healed?

He’s still injured, just because he’s good enough to score while injured doesn’t change that.

He needs to be taken out of the lineup and put through a proper rehab and recovery process.

The longer the Canucks push this back, the more potential there is for something to go wrong.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
One goal and people are just going to pretend that he’s all of a sudden healed?

He’s still injured, just because he’s good enough to score while injured doesn’t change that.

He needs to be taken out of the lineup and put through a proper rehab and recovery process.

The longer the Canucks push this back, the more potential there is for something to go wrong.

I doubt anyone thinks he is 100%.

Some injuries are safe to play through others aren't.

With how long it has been from the actual injury I'd suspect his back is safe to play with, just uncomfortable + not at full strength.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Boeser's OT shot today melted a ton of my fears and doubts about him this season away in an instant. The little drag, nailing the top corner, that was the Boeser I know and love. His shot and release are still as elite as they come.

Some people are saying he looks slower and by eye, I'm inclined to agree, but I really have no idea if its because hes nursing remnants of the injury, or if hes just a little slow and unconditioned to start the season. I'd love to see a comparison on his speed from last year/this year.

In all honesty, I think the first line has been having a little more trouble as a unit which has made Boeser (and Baert and Bo) look worse together. Should Bae go back to the third line? I think we really need to find a third guy who really lights these two up if things keep going this way this year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Boeser's OT shot today melted a ton of my fears and doubts about him this season away in an instant. The little drag, nailing the top corner, that was the Boeser I know and love. His shot and release are still as elite as they come.

Some people are saying he looks slower and by eye, I'm inclined to agree, but I really have no idea if its because hes nursing remnants of the injury, or if hes just a little slow and unconditioned to start the season. I'd love to see a comparison on his speed from last year/this year.

Pretty much this. At the end of the day, Boeser is an elite goal scorer and like most elite goalscorers he has found a way to get on the score sheet despite not playing particularly well.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

In all honesty, I think the first line has been having a little more trouble as a unit which has made Boeser (and Baert and Bo) look worse together. Should Bae go back to the third line? I think we really need to find a third guy who really lights these two up if things keep going this way this year.

What has changed is that he doesn't seem to be in constant pain now. He doesn't slow-skate to the bench instead of backchecking etc.

He still doesn't look anywhere near 100% but definite improvement.

All tho.. We only have video footage and have not been able to go to back surgery school and inspect his back or to wrist surgery school and inspect his wrist so there is just no way to tell one way or the other.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Brock Boeser is what he is. A James Neal type of opportunist scorer who will pot 30 goals a year on good teams in good seasons ( in terms of production). He's not anything close to a franchise player and we shouldn't expect it out of him.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Brock Boeser is what he is. A James Neal type of opportunist scorer who will pot 30 goals a year on good teams in good seasons. He's not anything close to a franchise player and we shouldn't expect it out of him.
Boeser's was on pace for ~40 goals as a rookie, James Neal has scored over 30 goals twice in his career. I don't exactly love this comparison, if Brock Boeser is the same player as last year you're looking at a much better player than James Neal going forward.

Neal scored 40 goals playing with the best player in the NHL, having one of the best seasons since the lockout. Outside from that he's a 25 ish goal scorer. I don't think Boeser is a franchise player either, but you're selling him short.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Boeser's was on pace for ~40 goals as a rookie, James Neal has scored over 30 goals twice in his career. I don't exactly love this comparison, if Brock Boeser is the same player as last year you're looking at a much better player than James Neal going forward.

Neal scored 40 goals playing with the best player in the NHL, having one of the best seasons since the lockout. Outside from that he's a 25 ish goal scorer. I don't think Boeser is a franchise player either, but you're selling him short.

I don't mean a stylistic comparison. Just in terms of production. I don't believe im selling him short. James Neal has never scored less than 20 goals in 10 seasons, and has a career gpg pace of 30 goals/82 games. And his ppg Is 57/82 over his career.

Basically what im saying is I'll be content or even happy if Boeser is a 30-30 guy going forward which is what Neal is basically over his career. He just doesn't have the one huge season outside the one in Pitts.

Neal had some injury problems. He's literally a 30g 27a guy over 700 + NHL games.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Brock Boeser is what he is. A James Neal type of opportunist scorer who will pot 30 goals a year on good teams in good seasons. He's not anything close to a franchise player and we shouldn't expect it out of him.

Projects a lot higher than Neal just considering what both players did at similar ages.

Also apart from being elite shooters, their skill-sets are pretty much entirely different.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Projects a lot higher than Neal just considering what both players did at similar ages.

Also apart from being elite shooters, their skill-sets are pretty much entirely different.

Yes his ceiling is higher, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him carve out a similar career. It doesn't always go perfect. Boeser shot is obviously more elite, but Neal is by far the better skater.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad