Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Boeser helped the Sedins and Vanek more than the other way. The Sedin pp had struggled for years before arrival of Boeser. The idea that the Sedins pulled him up is a falsenarrative.
The Sedins are consummate professionals who are extremely disciplined and detail oriented.

They were huge source of stability for our team while they were here.

Last year, they were on the team and provided to 21 year old Brock Boeser a role model(s) of how a disciplined and serious minded NHL professional plays.

This year, they're not and that's most likely the reason for Boeser's regression in the finer details of good 2-way 200ft hockey.

Boeser's regression is a tangible downside of the Sedins retiring.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m not sure. Back injuries aren’t fun and I still suspect he’s not 100%. No player will ever admit it at this level but sometimes you just can’t get the legs to fire when you ask them to with an injured back.

Now that said I do believe his efforts and commitment could be better I just don’t think that is the whole issue.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I’m not sure. Back injuries aren’t fun and I still suspect he’s not 100%. No player will ever admit it at this level but sometimes you just can’t get the legs to fire when you ask them to with an injured back.

Now that said I do believe his efforts and commitment could be better I just don’t think that is the whole issue.
Yes you're right. Back injuries aren't fun.

Hank had a nasty one and he couldn't sit down because of it.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Call a spade a spade, Boeser is not having a great season. I like him as a player a lot based on what we know he has the ability to do, but his defensive commitment and overall effort level has been very bad at times this season. He's still young but it's something that needs to get figured out, I'd be hesitant to give him a long term contract at this point.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sophomore jinx. It's a real thing.

Players play their guts out in their rookie season and then relax in their 2nd.

Lets see what happens next season.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I dunno guys... On pace for 35 goals and 70 points over 82 games, I think we’re grasping at straws a bit here. I suppose the “eye test” suggests he may not be playing as well as last season, but the offensive results are about the same. I am not concerned, development isn’t lineal, not every player makes a jump every season especially when they score at a 70 point pace as a rookie.

Reactions: Bobby9

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Boeser was -2 today after going -4 against Arizona. Yes he can snipe, and yes the Canucks are obviously devoid of offensive depth, but how does Green intend on teaching this kid defense? He's only in his 2nd year so he's not a veteran, but at the same time I don't see Green giving him the Goldobin/Virtanen treatment (pressbox).

Maybe now that the season is over Green can focus on getting Boeser to become a better 2-way player. Kinda hypocritical actually. If I were Goldy I'd be pissed lol

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I thought it might be interesting to look at the shots Boeser has taken this year vs. last year.

First, last year:
upload_2019-3-5_0-14-18.png

Compared to this season:

upload_2019-3-5_0-14-33.png

It's a lot to look at, but what stands out to me is that more of his shots this season are coming from the right side. Rather than getting shots off from the "Ovechkin spot" on the PP like he did last year, he is shooting from everywhere this season.

Not sure what I mean? Here, let me use my elite MS Paint skills:

upload_2019-3-5_0-31-59.png

Last year, Boeser took pretty much 60% of his shots, and scored 60% of his goals, from this box:

2017-18BZBZ%OBZ
Goals291759%12
SOG18010257%78
SAT25314156%112
SPCt16%17%15%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This season it has been a little different:

2018-19BZBZ%OBZ
Goals21733%14
SOG1606943%91
SAT25311847%135
SPCt13%10%15%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Two things are different:

1) He is down from 57% of his shots within that box, to 43%
2) His shooting pct from that area of the ice is down from 17% to 10%

His shooting pct from all other areas is the same as last year, the league standard 15%, but he is neither getting as many shots off from that spot nor converting on the ones he does get. All of this we have pretty much have observed and is present in the 3 PP goals he has this season compared to 10 last year.

One more thing: I thought about looking at the same X-Y data but by shot type instead of result. This is just shots on goal because NHL doesn't record it for other attempts.

Also, let's just look at slap shots and writers, since nobody cares about backhanders and deflections, etc.

upload_2019-3-5_1-14-50.png

Again, this isn't too surprising. When he's on that left side above the circle he winds up for one timers, but everywhere else he prefers to take a wrist shot and he scores more goals on that shot.

Has that changed this season?

upload_2019-3-5_1-21-30.png

His slap shots on the left side have been all from basically the exact same spot, whereas last year they were spread out more. Is that what people mean by "too stationary" on the PP? His scoring rate isn't much changed though and it's clear that his overall strategy is wrist-shots in close and when further away, bombs away.

AAAAAnyway, just thought that might be fun for some people to look at.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-5_1-21-17.png
    upload_2019-3-5_1-21-17.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 1

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Heard Craig Button would sign Brock to a bridge deal. That's a mistake, IMO.

The thought process behind the Boeser deal should be the same as it was with Horvat. If you have a chance to lock down a top talent at a bargain rate, do so. I mean, do people actually project his production to drop below the current rate while playing with Pettersson? I know I don't...This guy's true talent is probably in the 80th~ percentile league wide. Lock him down for at least 6 years and turn your attention elsewhere.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I think the Canucks could get some value on a long term deal. Brocks had some injuries early in his career so maybe he'd feel a bit scared to take bridge deal just just in case. 8 years at 6.5 million would be a homerun for the team and would give Brock some relief and insurance. The cap will keep increasing with Seattle coming in and having Brock and Bo signed cheap long term would be huge relief to bring in a Karlsson/Panarin or Ferland while resigning Pettersson and Hughes

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the Canucks could get some value on a long term deal. Brocks had some injuries early in his career so maybe he'd feel a bit scared to take bridge deal just just in case. 8 years at 6.5 million would be a homerun for the team and would give Brock some relief and insurance. The cap will keep increasing with Seattle coming in and having Brock and Bo signed cheap long term would be huge relief to bring in a Karlsson/Panarin or Ferland while resigning Pettersson and Hughes

Don't think that comes close to getting it done. You are buying four years of UFA with an 8 year deal. That's going to cost some serious dollars. At 6.5 I think you might get six seasons, two seasons of UFA. Similar to Bo.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm not that worried about Boeser nor would I consider trading him. I give him a 2 year bridge deal and have him work hard on his fitness levels and skating this summer and through next year. I don't think it's a stretch to think his inability to truly train last summer along with other potential nagging injuries are having a major impact on him this season. He needs a chance to get healthy and get a reset on his training.

In the end, at the very least you have a 30+ goal scorer which can not only be an important asset to have but a valuable one to trade further down the road if that is the direction you take.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Don't think that comes close to getting it done. You are buying four years of UFA with an 8 year deal. That's going to cost some serious dollars. At 6.5 I think you might get six seasons, two seasons of UFA. Similar to Bo.
I thought since his first season was only 9 games he didn't accrue enough games for that to count as year towards UFA.

I totally agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I think an 8 year only buys 3 UFA years.

I don't see him taking a number that starts below 7. His stats are better per game than Pastrnak and Nylander's and the cap has risen....

I also don't understand why people think he should fall that close to Bo. Horvat had two seasons of 40 and 52 points and got $5.5....Brock's two seasons blow those numbers out of the water, in like 20% less games.

6 to 7 years at $7.5m seems like a pretty reasonable contract for all parties. Trying to get a bargain on one of the 3 marketable faces and young stars on the team would just be so Benning, whilst having a $12m 4th line.

Is Boeser eligible to sign an offersheet?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Really really really hope we lock him up long term. Bridge deal would be a massive mistake. The fact that he’s not playing great only makes me feel even more strongly about that.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
UFA is based on "accrued seasons" which is being on the roster or injured reserve for 40 games. Boeser has two at this point, needs five more to reach UFA.

RFA is based on "professional experience." Boeser fell a game short in his stint in the 2016-17 season. Thus he has two years on this criteria, he needs three and therefore the Canucks still hold his exclusive rights. No threat of an offer sheet.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Boeser backchecking:

Large-GIF-1056x550.gif

Large-GIF-864x430.gif

I had more but cant find them now :\

I love Boeser, have his jersey... But the lack of effort sometimes is infuriating.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I think it's a fitness issue as much as anything. For whatever reason, the team had him go put on like 15lbs of muscle last summer, the guy came into camp absolutely yolked and his footspeed suffered.

I imagine he'll be focused on skating this offseason, because he definitely doesn't need to get any bigger.

ekimbo

Sep 28, 2009
Boeser backchecking:

I had more but cant find them now :\

I love Boeser, have his jersey... But the lack of effort sometimes is infuriating.

IMO In the second case he shouldn't be skating hard back. The Canucks already have 3 guys back ahead of him. He should be hanging back and covering for the 3rd man in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad