Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Rational discourse looks at many different options unemotionally without declaring an idea as off limits or ridiculous unless proven to be so.

If Gretzky can be traded, the best player in the history of the game, anyone can be traded, under the right or perhaps wrong circumstances.

That argument doesn't really work anymore. You can't trade players for money anymore.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That argument doesn't really work anymore. You can't trade players for money anymore.

You can't trade players for money but the other team can retain money and cap room is important. There's bound to be a team who does trade a young superstar because they can't win without changing the makeup of their team.

Personally I wouldn't. I don't think you can win without star players.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Reminder that there is a documentary on Boeser after the game this evening, which looked very cool in the preview.

p16205083_b_h10_aa.jpg

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I've been wondering... how reasonable is it to say we have in Brock Boeser the player that we were hoping to have in Hunter Shinkaruk?

Cause I mean... last time I was seriously paying attention to the Canucks before this season was when Hunter was still in the system, and people were very high on his offensive potential... obviously Hunter never reached what we projected, but I am curious what kind of comparison is there between him and Brock?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I've been wondering... how reasonable is it to say we have in Brock Boeser the player that we were hoping to have in Hunter Shinkaruk?

Cause I mean... last time I was seriously paying attention to the Canucks before this season was when Hunter was still in the system, and people were very high on his offensive potential... obviously Hunter never reached what we projected, but I am curious what kind of comparison is there between him and Brock?
I remember a couple Utica fans were temping ppl’s expection, saying that his skating wasn’t good enough for the nhl.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Shink is a lousy skater and his shot/ IQ aren’t close to Boesers. I was never high on the kid

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Shinkaruk is trash lol. He fell for a reason and we were the one to take the bait since it was late in the first. Theodore was the better pick 100%.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Speaking comparisons, Boeser really does remind me of a throwback player.

Whenever I see him play he really does remind me of a smaller Glen Murray, which is no knock on Boeser. Murray had a short peak, but was one of the best snipers in the NHL for 3/4 years who was good for 35-40 goals.

And the scary thing is Boeser is showing a playmaking component Murray never really possessed.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Pretty amazing how Brock can just casually put up what... 9 goals in 10 games? Playing what a lot of this board is considering not his best hockey. Sure some of them were pretty flukey, but he's looking like he can just find the back of the net at will - mark of an elite goal scorer. For the season, he's looking at a 42 goal pace over 82 games. What a stud.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Neutral fan here that just watched the Doc. (Very good btw)

Pretty funny seeing a Canucks front office guy around pick #10 during the 2015 draft say something like "No way Boeser's getting to us. We're still like 13 picks away." Shows how much he was their guy from the beginning and how much they believed he was gonna be a stud.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
You guys think he stays PPG or maybe even above PPG.

If he stays healthy he's on pace for 68 points you think it's possible he hits 70?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just give this guy 7 million already.
I doubt he’s signing until the season ends.

He’ll be in that big bunch with Aho, Marner, Rantanen, Laine, etc to see what the market brings.

I would expect him to be at $7 million per on the low end. He’s around 0.5 GPG and close to a PPG despite missing games due to injury.

He’ll land lower than the guys I mentioned above but he’ll land above Nylander.

Relieved he’s putting up points at a good rate so that he’s likely to sign for term. Would not do the Canucks any benefit if he didn’t comeback strong and thus opted for a bridge deal. Better to spend $2.5 million more over each of the next 2 years and save on the cap later.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I doubt he’s signing until the season ends.

He’ll be in that big bunch with Aho, Marner, Rantanen, Laine, etc to see what the market brings.

I would expect him to be at $7 million per on the low end. He’s around 0.5 GPG and close to a PPG despite missing games due to injury.

He’ll land lower than the guys I mentioned above but he’ll land above Nylander.

Relieved he’s putting up points at a good rate so that he’s likely to sign for term. Would not do the Canucks any benefit if he didn’t comeback strong and thus opted for a bridge deal. Better to spend $2.5 million more over each of the next 2 years and save on the cap later.

If he ends the season at PPG or above, he could make a pretty good argument for draisaitl money. Never mind that draisaitl was suppose to be signing as a 1C, the fact that he's spent the majority of the time as a winger would help Brock's case if he did want 8.5 million.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he ends the season at PPG or above, he could make a pretty good argument for draisaitl money. Never mind that draisaitl was suppose to be signing as a 1C, the fact that he's spent the majority of the time as a winger would help Brock's case if he did want 8.5 million.
That’s why he’s not signing now. None of the soon to be RFA guys should.

See which ones use their maximum leverage. I doubt the Avs could afford to go into next season without Rantanen signed. Hurricanes have no chance at the playoffs without Aho. While Jets and Leafs would be fine if Marner and Laine started the year waiting for deals. But once one or two sign and set the bar then I think we will quickly see the others sign.

If brock does an 8 year deal then you can more easily swallow the $8.5 million hit.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

See which ones use their maximum leverage. I doubt the Avs could afford to go into next season without Rantanen signed. Hurricanes have no chance at the playoffs without Aho. While Jets and Leafs would be fine if Marner and Laine started the year waiting for deals. But once one or two sign and set the bar then I think we will quickly see the others sign.

If brock does an 8 year deal then you can more easily swallow the $8.5 million hit.
Id do 9 years at $8 to $8.25 million PER season

We probably aint competing so much the next couple a years and by year 3 will look pretty solid and after that is money. Do it Benner DO IT :yo:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't think Boeser's shot is as good, but I think he's been making some pretty good plays with the puck so I can handle it. I still think Boeser doesn't need a guy like Pettersson to set him up and would look great with Horvat as long as we could find someone to stick with Pettersson who can be more of a Burrows type. I actually think Baertschi - Pettersson - Goldobin could be a pretty good line with high hockey IQ, playmaking abilities, and ability to finish when they get themselves into scoring positions.

I know Goldy plays LW for us but he shoots right. Has he always played left wing or is he playing his off wing? It would also excuse some of his board work, especially defensively, as playing on your off wing can make it difficult to move the puck up from the boards in your own zone. I know we don't want to mess with a good thing, and it's great to have a sniper like Boeser with Pettersson, but I just think Boeser is good enough that Pettersson doesn't really need to elevate Boeser's game. I'd rather have Pettersson with guys he can actually make better so Boeser can be Boeser elsewhere.

I'd love to see Leivo/Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser along with Baertschi/Leivo - Pettersson - Goldobin. I would really like to see Baertschi play with Pettersson, but he does have existing chemistry with Horvat. I just think a line with Leivo, Horvat and Boeser would be a nightmare to play against along the boards along with the ability to play some solid defensive hockey allowing Baertschi/Pettersson/Goldobin to go balls to the walls on offence with the bonus of Pettersson's excellent defensive play to get the puck in his own zone.

Run with Roussel/Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen on the 3rd line and a Gaunce/Beagle/Motte as a very very solid defensive 4th line. Gaudette is fine but playing in the AHL is the best thing for his development right now. The lineup would look like:

Leivo - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Pettersson - Goldobin
Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen
Gaunce - Beagle - Motte

Obviously we won't scratch Eriksson, but I would be fine to cycle all 3 of Gaunce/Beagle/Motte in and out of the lineup to make room for Eriksson, who can also be cycled. I'm a firm believer of cycling players in and out to give them a few extra days rest throughout the season. If you have 3 players of similar quality with only 2 roster spots, I do not see any reason not to give them some days off from time to time to keep them healthy. Is there really a problem with Motte sitting for 2 games to get Gaunce in, then Eriksson out to get Motte in, then Gaunce to get Eriksson in etc? Even Sutter has some injury problems, give him a rest and move Beagle up and let Gaunce play 4c for a few games.

I would really like that forward lineup and I think it would actually be a quality roster of forwards that is even above average in the league. Defence on the other hand... The problem is 100% on defence as we have Hutton as our #3 (true #4), Edler/Tanev as our 1/2 (fine, but worn down and injury prone), Stetcher as our #4 (has games where he can look pretty solid, then games where he doesn't belong, probably a bottom pairing guy), and Gudbranson/Biega who are #6/7 guys. Pouliot is AHL.

I sort of went off on a tangent here on what was supposed to be a discussion about where Boeser should be playing and how he's performing, but I thought I would explain my reasoning. Maybe I'll post it in the roster thread...

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

8.5 million really is a lot of money for someone who I wouldn't necessarily consider as a game-breaker, but he'd have a good argument for it.

Man, the Oilers really screwed it up for everybody by signing Draisaitl to that ridiculous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->