Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
They were, though. Talking about trading him in the offseason for a defender is proposing to trade Boeser. It was a reaction to his struggling defensive game.

How is saying 'we should look at trading him for a defender in the offseason' not proposing trading Boeser?

Just because it wasn't suggested outright, doesn't mean people weren't talking about it.

One person suggested we "look at it" and people reacted with "zomg now people want to trade Boeser! I'm out of here!"

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
One person suggested we "look at it" and people reacted with "zomg now people want to trade Boeser! I'm out of here!"
That's the same thing though. He was frustrated with his defensive game and through that frustration suggested that we should 'look' at trading Boeser for a 'young d-man' in the offseason.

That is suggesting we trade Boeser.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That's the same thing though. He was frustrated with his defensive game and through that frustration suggested that we should 'look' at trading Boeser for a 'young d-man' in the offseason.

That is suggesting we trade Boeser.

This is tiresome. We argued about this last night. Now we are arguing about it again. It was a throwaway comment. You agreed you would "Think about it." So I guess the big difference to you is that it's okay to "think about it" but not okay to "look at it." Sure man, whatever. That totally means that one person quitting the forums over it and another suggesting the poster be "banned and sent to CDC" are not overreacting.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
In all seriousness, Boeser's shot is probably 50% of what it was last season.

Last season, every shot he took was a bullet that was aimed precisely. His wrist shot was injuring players that tried to block it. This year, it doesn't have the same power or precision. I'm guessing he is still healing from wrist injury last season and it will take a bit of time to rebuild those muscles. Regardless, the production he has put on this year is very impressive.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This is tiresome. We argued about this last night. Now we are arguing about it again. It was a throwaway comment. You agreed you would "Think about it." So I guess the big difference to you is that it's okay to "think about it" but not okay to "look at it." Sure man, whatever. That totally means that one person quitting the forums over it and another suggesting the poster be "banned and sent to CDC" are not overreacting.
I don't count for 'other people'. I didn't 'overreact'. If some people did, I don't represent them, but he DID advocate trading Boeser because of his struggling defensive game. I don't know why that's not clear. Just because he said 'should' and 'look' doesn't mean he didn't.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't count for 'other people'. I didn't 'overreact'. If some people did, I don't represent them, but he DID advocate trading Boeser because of his struggling defensive game. I don't know why that's not clear. Just because he said 'should' and 'look' doesn't mean he didn't.

Yes but you also were one of the people who had some sort of problem with this even though you simultaenously agreed that you would "think about it."

In any case, it would be interesting to have a real discussion about whether or not it would make sense to move him for a defenseman and solve our massive problem on the back-end, or whether our winger depth is too shallow to support it.

Unfortunately such a dialogue seems impossible given the reaction to the mere hint of it that continues nearly 24 hours later.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
So uh, Brock with a nice statline but I still think his forechecking is relatively poor and his release/shot isnt where it was last year. He's also been suspect defensively in a few games...

BUT he's producing despite this and just goes to show everyone what kind of talent Boeser really is. He's gonna get better throughout the season and score 35+ goals by seasons end.

Reactions: mossey3535

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
In all seriousness, Boeser's shot is probably 50% of what it was last season.

Last season, every shot he took was a bullet that was aimed precisely. His wrist shot was injuring players that tried to block it. This year, it doesn't have the same power or precision. I'm guessing he is still healing from wrist injury last season and it will take a bit of time to rebuild those muscles. Regardless, the production he has put on this year is very impressive.

This post is nonsense.

member 290103

It's ridiculous how the most minor thing snowballs into something completely different.

MS talks about how Boeser's effort level and defensive game has been poor as of late and says he'd consider making a trade for a young dman if the deal was right, that somehow becomes interpreted as him advocating for a Boeser trade, then it's apparently multiple people demanding for Boeser to be traded, then it got to the point where someone in the GDT today thought people were wanting Boeser and Pettersson to be traded..

It was like one big game of Chinese whispers which ended up closing any possibility of having a productive conversation.

I don’t really see how anything was misinterpreted? There were posts proposing to move Boeser because of much he was struggling. If anything that’s as much an overreaction as any of the reaction the suggestion got.

Boeser is a guy that’s going to be a threat for 40-50 per year, imo. You don’t trade him when he has a tough start in his sophomore year or when he struggles coming off injury...

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Is wanting productive discussion instead mindless screaming and crying really outrage?

Eh, it is when it's done passively aggressively. If your interpretation of events is true, then there is no debate as no one truly wants to move Boeser, therefore why make posts manufacturing conflict? It sounds like no one wants to seriously trade Boeser, so at the end of the day people are arguing over nothing.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Boeser is still on pace for 39 goals over 82 games
Sure, he's not ripping them right now and getting a few lucky bounces. But once he gets his shot back he'll be fine.

I remember watching him in his last year of college also struggle through a wrist injury where he stopped ripping the pucks for a short while. He'd jump in and out of the lineup periodically due to the wrist injury. Boeser managed to come back from that injury, I'm sure he'll be able to rebound after this injury.

Reactions: sexydonut

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This post is nonsense.
You mean the only post on this page that discusses his high production this year even tho he is having some difficulties in compared to last season? Seems like it was a pretty reasonable post and pretty dam accurate to. So whats the problem Olie?

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
You mean the only post on this page that discusses his high production this year even tho he is having some difficulties in compared to last season? Seems like it was a pretty reasonable post and pretty dam accurate to. So whats the problem Olie?

He just ripped this a few hours ago...There's no way his wrist is at "50%"

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He just ripped this a few hours ago...There's no way his wrist is at "50%"

O ok i see what you mean, yeah his wrist is getting better. But honestly i think thats not as common as was doing last year

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It's pathetic, it really is.

One guy said "maybe I might look at trading him in the off-season for a defender" and instead of having a reasoned discussion about the idea, a bunch of babies freaked out at the mere suggestion. I thought this place had a higher level of discourse than Twitter and YouTube but sometimes it really disappoints me.
Maybe if the poster hadn't come out with something so ridiculous in the first place there would be no need for the "freaking out" as you put it.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It's ridiculous how the most minor thing snowballs into something completely different.

MS talks about how Boeser's effort level and defensive game has been poor as of late and says he'd consider making a trade for a young dman if the deal was right, that somehow becomes interpreted as him advocating for a Boeser trade, then it's apparently multiple people demanding for Boeser to be traded, then it got to the point where someone in the GDT today thought people were wanting Boeser and Pettersson to be traded..

It was like one big game of Chinese whispers which ended up closing any possibility of having a productive conversation.
MS started the ball rolling, others joined in. It was stupid to begin with and looks even worse now. However, that should be something we expect in here.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
His shot is fine. Goalscorer's tend to be streaky. Brock had four multigame goal streaks last season, two of which were 4 games long. He's going to get his hands going at some point and it's going to be fun when he does.

member 290103

So uh, Brock with a nice statline but I still think his forechecking is relatively poor and his release/shot isnt where it was last year. He's also been suspect defensively in a few games...

BUT he's producing despite this and just goes to show everyone what kind of talent Boeser really is. He's gonna get better throughout the season and score 35+ goals by seasons end.

All this talk about his forechecking....is that really a staple of his game? the guys is a shooter, has he ever been a high end forechecker?

Reactions: TruKnyte

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
If that's what you want, stop defending stupidity and promote rational discourse.

Rational discourse looks at many different options unemotionally without declaring an idea as off limits or ridiculous unless proven to be so.

If Gretzky can be traded, the best player in the history of the game, anyone can be traded, under the right or perhaps wrong circumstances. Boeser looks like a great young potential star for us for years to come, so I don't think Boeser is likely to be traded, but that doesn't make it impossible. But just theorizing what that could look like doesn't actually mean people think Brock should be traded.

On a side note...it was actually interesting seeing the main forums trade proposal thread for a Canucks player not being a complete lowball from other team's fans for once. But getting fair value for a player his caliber would be difficult, and in most cases not worth it, unless his injuries somehow were turning into a Hodgson 2.0 situation.

Anyways, it's not like discussing value for a player online either hurts us or makes it more likely for the player to be dealt? If that was actually the case Chris Tanev would have been traded off this team years ago. So... what exactly is the harm, or stupidity of it?

Reactions: KingOfTheES

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Only way I consider trading Brock right now is if I felt his wrist was going to be a constant issue throughout his career. Then I would consider dealing him. But even then, doubt we could get a fair return. Wingers just don't have the same value as Cs and Ds. Even as good as Boeser is, i don't think I would deal the caliber of defenseman it would cost to acquire him if I was the one dealing the blueliner.

Any deal would be more Taylor Hall than Ryan Johansen imo so just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad