Broc Little - Better on big ice?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Broc Little started in my local club I support, Västerås, after his college years and had a success directly. 66 points in 51 games in the best second division in Europe (the league isn't bad, AHL players with between 0.3 PPG and 0.5 PPG come here mostly being decent) and got himself a contract with AIK from Stockholm in the Swedish top division the season after.

It was a success in AIK aswell, 46 points in 55 games for a league better than AHL, but he wanted to go back to North America, so he signed with the Springfield Falcons in the AHL with an option to be able to play in Colombus Blue Jackets.

His AHL season didn't end up good. 8 points in 20 games, and he then left for a try-out contract with the Iowa Wild for one game. After that game, he had several offers from Europe, half of the Swedish top division SHL offered him a contract, and he ended up in Jokerit in the Finnish top division.

All of this made me wonder why he's playing better in Europe, when he "more felt like home" in North America. He even felt bad because the city of Västerås, the city's team he represented his first season in Europe, was too small and dark (140k inhabitans, 5th biggest city of Sweden and situated in the middle part of Sweden) but he produced points anyways.

What rink size do they use in college hockey? Is it NHL-size, international size or in between those two? He had 142 points in 131 games in college, so he wasn't a bad player, maybe he's just more fit for the internationall sized rink?

Did anyone have the chance to see him play in the AHL? If so, how did he look on the ice? Did he play good, but just struggled scoring or was he just not good enough? :shakehead

montyminny

Oct 12, 2006
Good ol Twin Cities
I got to watch his one game in Iowa. He played well, was very active, created opportunities for his line mates. I was very surprised when I saw him on the released list the next day or so. My first reaction was "what did this kid do to get released?" Then I was told it was because he signed to go back to Europe. I was hoping he would have stayed as he was fun to watch.

In college, he played at Yale which has a NHL sized rink. There is no defined standard rink in college hockey, every school has a minimum NHL rink (85' wide), with many at 90' and 100'. Depends on the school and their building.

Smaller guys like him have to have someone looking out for them to make it to the NHL. Right place, right time, right general manager, right coach.

Guerilla

Jan 5, 2014
Finland
After two games in FEL playing for Jokerit, I can say he definitely enjoys the larger ice surface.

In his first game he scored 2 goals against TPS, but the game was a blowout (7-1) so it might not provide the right picture. He was a bit invisible for most of the game, but on his second goal showed what his speed can do as he sprinted from between two defensemen to gain a breakaway. Finished by roofing the puck with a nice snapshot.

In today's game against Ilves he was one of the best Jokerit forwards despite the 0+0 stats. He made a couple of amazing passes but his line mates weren't able to capitalize. What struck the eye was that he had a lot of time to handle the puck and really think where to pass it (something you don't have in the AHL/NHL). He also had a breakaway and a few other opportunities to score from but just couldn't get the puck past the goalie. Not his day i guess. :) The game was decided in OT (2-3 for Jokerit)

All in all he looks like a perfect fit for the Finnish Elite League. Many other small, quick, players who have failed in North America have come here and put up excellent numbers (f.e. Ryan Lasch), since the game isn't as physical as in NA. The European rinks really favor fast skaters :)

Last edited:

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Broc was an interesting player for us in Springfield. He was very quick. He wasn't getting any ice time at all. He was out most of the time due to coaches decisions. The only asset he really brought to us was that he could be used in a shoot out..... which gives no reason for him to be in the line up. He still should stay in the American leage he does have potentiol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad