Broadcasters making up arguments...so they can argue about it?

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
How many times yesterday did Ferraro make the argument that "he can't understand people saying Matthews can't play the left side of the PP as a left handed shot?" I counted 3 times...on each PP I saw.

Questions and comments:

1. Matthews played the entire year last year on the left side. Did Ray notice this? Has he been hearing this argument since last year?

2. Who has been arguing that Matthews shouldn't play the left side?

3. When was it argued?

4. Is Ray just arguing with himself?

Reactions: JustAShadow

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
From Googles:

'A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."'

Pretty standard protocol for sports broadcasters, media personalities, etc.

Any sentence that starts with "People are saying X" which is then refuted falls under this category.

Reactions: ninetyone

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Usually there's a thread of something there though?

Like the Leafs captaincy issue...it's totally overblown by the media but it's not like no one ever talks about it. It's a legit topic...it's just waaaaaay overblown.

I have never heard anyone argue about Matthews being on the wrong side on the PP. It's bizarre that he kept arguing about it with I don't know who.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I certainly used to think that Matthews and Nylander should be switched on the PP, so that Matthews was along the right wall and Nylander was along the left wall, allowing them better angles on their shots.

Then it came out (last year) that their numbers were actually better with Matts on the left and Willy on the right, and the argument pretty much died right there.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That's a lot of time to fill up blabbing to yourself about sports. They're gonna make shit up just to get through the day really.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
People on HF Boards: character people with integrity.

People who do any type of media (commentary, colour, insider, etc.) : Low morals, and no integrity.

member 262271

I find I let TSN get away with stuff more often than Sportsnet, maybe that'll change now that Romanuk is gone. Either way I was waiting for Cuthbert to be like "actually... Ray"

Reactions: Walshy7

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
OP: take this revelation of the rampant phoniness all around you to rest of your life and you should be just fine. Side effects include horrendous cynicism and "Flowers For Algernon" Syndrome.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Dave Pratt (Vancouver) will often make negative statements of the Leafs and their fans on the radio and on twitter. At least once he has liked a couple of my comments where I counter his position, but the next morning he will go on one of his Pratt's Rants and completely act like his original position is correct.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How many times yesterday did Ferraro make the argument that "he can't understand people saying Matthews can't play the left side of the PP as a left handed shot?" I counted 3 times...on each PP I saw.

Questions and comments:

1. Matthews played the entire year last year on the left side. Did Ray notice this? Has he been hearing this argument since last year?

3. When was it argued?

Ray discusses stuff during the game he has had elsewhere (radio,tv,twitter,etc) occasionally, sometimes to troll someone.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Questions and comments:

3. When was it argued?

Are you being a little Paranoid? Or have you become a Master of Reality? Or have you spotted a transparent attempt by the broadcasters to Sabotage the Leafs?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I mean can you really say with 100% confidence that Ray hasn't witnessed people saying this to him at some point this off-season? I didn't necessarily get the vibe that it meant Auston hadn't been doing it in years past. But do you think maybe people still argued about this since his PP points/goals were not all that impressive, relatively speaking?

Seems like an odd thing to be upset about when the analyst seems, at least to me, one of the best.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
In Ferraro's defence, there was actually an article on the Athletic yesterday saying that Matthews on the 1st PP unit might not be successful because he's another left shot.

Also, there have been some analytics geniuses saying that JVR > Tavares on the PP during the offseason.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
51xf1c8t9ZL._SY355_.jpg
Guys getting paid to talk?

Next topic for debate:

Spoon!!
Fork!!
Spoon!!
Fork!!
Compromise. Spork.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Broadcasters are similar to a lot HF posters, just a little less nauseating. :sarcasm:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If they didn't make up things to talk about, there would be an awful lot of dead air, and consequently an awful lot of unemployed sportscasters.

Either that, or we'd get a lot of:
"Leafs won last night."
"They sure did."
"Yep."
"Four in a row now."
"That's right."
"Great goal by Matthews."
"What a setup from Marner."
"You said it."
"Yep."

And we wouldn't want that, would we?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The Toronto media are WAY worse than the fan base.

Perfect example was yesterday, Leafs Lunch talking about offer sheets and Miller says, slight paraphrase "well we know Lou has an axe to grind with the Leafs". Really? Three days ago Dubas was on 590 and said he talks to Lou all the time and STILL calls him to ask for advice. Axe to grind, or healthy relationship? I'll take Kyle thanks Gord, but I noticed no one corrected him and it was taken as fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->