Great Britain: British players abroad

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I just read that you were interested in how Joseph Lewis performs in Duisburg. I watched a few games this season (he didn't always play) but I have to say that he didn't really impress me. He is one of the better players in Duisburg but still I don't think he can play higher than German 3rd league if he doesn't improve his game - a lot.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I just read that you were interested in how Joseph Lewis performs in Duisburg. I watched a few games this season (he didn't always play) but I have to say that he didn't really impress me. He is one of the better players in Duisburg but still I don't think he can play higher than German 3rd league if he doesn't improve his game - a lot.

You're probably right, especially since he is an import. I still think it's stupid he is considered an import in Germany despite playing 3 years in the DNL. If he wants to play a higher level he would have to come back here and play EIHL but I know he really loves it in Germany and has a German girlfriend, so he will probably stay. But he is still only 20 so who knows, maybe he could improve a lot and score big numbers in the Oberliga then go up to play in the Bundesliga.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Perlini had an apple a couple days ago & 2 apples tonight so 3 points in 2 games.

10pts in 24gp with Niagara
12pts in 56gp this season

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Scott Conway now has 51pts in 50gp. Jack Prince had 50pts in 56gp when he was a rookie in the NAHL and he was a year older than Conway is now.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Do you know what the CSSHL is?

I found 3 new players who are in that league playing for Okanagan Hockey Academy Black V

Like Alpine said it's a prep school like Shattuck & company. OHA feeds the WHL with draft picks but WHL is bantam aged players. The varsity team rarely has full time players who turn out to be WHLers, they'll have the odd bantam age player come up and play a couple games which means they're usually good for bantam and have a shot at NAHL, BCHL, or sometimes the WHL. After bantam age the best usually move on to midget teams so the varsity teams aren't loaded with top end talent. (The V Stands for varsity)

Western Canada is a bit odd. It's all because the WHL drafts players at 14 then they spend a year in midget before they can play WHL hockey full time, so players move all over the place seemingly at random lol I can't much follow it. OHL is so simply because you have the majority of the best players playing in 1 league. Atlantic Canada is a mess but it's pretty simple. Major Midget Leagues = Best midget players for QMJHL draft.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Like Alpine said it's a prep school like Shattuck & company. OHA feeds the WHL with draft picks but WHL is bantam aged players. The varsity team rarely has full time players who turn out to be WHLers, they'll have the odd bantam age player come up and play a couple games which means they're usually good for bantam and have a shot at NAHL, BCHL, or sometimes the WHL. After bantam age the best usually move on to midget teams so the varsity teams aren't loaded with top end talent. (The V Stands for varsity)

Western Canada is a bit odd. It's all because the WHL drafts players at 14 then they spend a year in midget before they can play WHL hockey full time, so players move all over the place seemingly at random lol I can't much follow it. OHL is so simply because you have the majority of the best players playing in 1 league. Atlantic Canada is a mess but it's pretty simple. Major Midget Leagues = Best midget players for QMJHL draft.

So are these the type of guys likely to be picked for GB in wjc's? Based on the guys playing in NA who have been picked in the past

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
So are these the type of guys likely to be picked for GB in wjc's? Based on the guys playing in NA who have been picked in the past

I really know nothing about the league. But unless the Brit boys carry dual citizenship they'd be imports in Major Jr and wouldn't be allowed in Jr A as only NA players are eligible by Hockey Canada rules. So playing Jr in the States or Europe would be their options after. But there is an "outlaw" Jr league in Ontario that has lot's of.....shall we say eastern Euro's.
They also would not be eligible for Major/Minor Midget unless they played Pee-Wee in Canada and then only in the districts or zones that they played Pee-Wee.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I really know nothing about the league. But unless the Brit boys carry dual citizenship they'd be imports in Major Jr and wouldn't be allowed in Jr A as only NA players are eligible by Hockey Canada rules. So playing Jr in the States or Europe would be their options after. But there is an "outlaw" Jr league in Ontario that has lot's of.....shall we say eastern Euro's.
They also would not be eligible for Major/Minor Midget unless they played Pee-Wee in Canada and then only in the districts or zones that they played Pee-Wee.

So you don't know if this level is any good then?

Just wondering in case I should follow their progress, if they're likely to play for GB.

There's loads of British guys listed in the OP playing in this outlaw league you speak of, usually they are not very good players even by our standards. One of my current teammates actually played there a while back, and he put up decent numbers in it.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Look it's just an opinion.
If the parents believe it'e worth it to spend many thousands to send their kids to these boarding schools/programs that's fine.
In the case of Brits to live in a hockey atmosphere..........
But IMHO they are 2nd chance leagues and most (although they're individual success stories) can hope for is NCAA Div !!! which can't offer athletic scholarships
Some programs are good and some just want the money.
If you can't afford it.............don't expect your kid to get the NHL contract to bail you out of debt,
The GMHL the "outlaw" league is rumoured to charge up to $18.000 a season to play.
Their's a story of one team whose fans raised $ for a couple of Russian players put out on the street because they owed the team $3500 to get them room and board.

Last edited:

cgjoe64

Feb 28, 2012
Looking for input

Son has dual citizenship. Born in Canada, British parents. First year Midget AAA, (1997) possible QMJHL draft, but not high I think. Did play in Q prospects game at the monctonian. Kid is very good academically and may want to attend University in the UK. What are his hockey options
Obviously not any University hockey, but I do remember Canadians playing with Dundee Rockets and Fife Flyers.
Advice Welcome

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Looking for input

Son has dual citizenship. Born in Canada, British parents. First year Midget AAA, (1997) possible QMJHL draft, but not high I think. Did play in Q prospects game at the monctonian. Kid is very good academically and may want to attend University in the UK. What are his hockey options
Obviously not any University hockey, but I do remember Canadians playing with Dundee Rockets and Fife Flyers.
Advice Welcome
If he played in the Q Prospects game at the Monctonian somebody is watching him.
If he's not drafted as a 16 maybe as a 17..look at the Saulnier twins.
If he played at the Prospects game he's probably a Maritime based guy? Then he will certainly be drafted by a Maritime Jr League team. Many MHL players move onto CIS (university hockey) and many could play in the Q but decide to play MHL because they can attend Uni/College full-time.
But if academics is what he wants and has a chance to study over seas that's also a good choice. As an old guy.... let him decide with support:yo: He's got two years before graduating High School and two years of Midget AAA left if he chooses. NCAA is still an option.
I remember a guy named Crossman that had may chances to play in the Q but was so dedicated to education that he'd only affiliate with the Wildcats for home games whilst playing MHL. He went on to STU and got a free degree. There was also a Melanson lad that played Q who played for U de Moncton taking a medical degree using his Q scholarship. Then there's Scott Toner who turned down the Q. He was an MHL/CJHL and AUS/CIS All-Star who got his education degree and is now a teacher.
The options are many/

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Looking for input

Advice Welcome

If he comes over at age 18 he's probably not good enough to play in the EIHL as an import (still an import despite the dual citizenship) He wouldn't require a work permit to come here so he can play in the EPIHL as an import, though it's very odd for a team to sign an import that young. But then again if he's in university, he would be very inexpensive to sign. I think the best option in this situation would be to attend Sheffield University and play for Sheffield Steeldogs, or maybe somewhere in the Midlands like University of Warwick and play for Telford Tigers. Both teams would be looking for good cheap imports. Both good universities and a decent standard of hockey. There is a university hockey league with unlimited import numbers, but the standard isn't very good.

But my personal advice would be to stay in North America if he's good enough to play in the Q or Jr A then NCAA. In the future he could come here and study for a masters, lots of EIHL players do that as the teams have links with the local universities. Typical EIHL imports either play Jr A then NCAA D1 and maybe a couple of years in the ECHL before coming here, or Major Junior then CIS or ECHL.

Last edited:

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012

Did you forget about the import draft? (See Stanislav Galiev)

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
So you don't know if this level is any good then?

Just wondering in case I should follow their progress, if they're likely to play for GB.

There's loads of British guys listed in the OP playing in this outlaw league you speak of, usually they are not very good players even by our standards. One of my current teammates actually played there a while back, and he put up decent numbers in it.

Check the "where are they now" tab on EP and you can see guys who played at that level. 1 brit in the list for that specific team, Daniel Fuller. Nothing special there.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/where_are_they_now.php?team=9930

Like I said before, in Western Canada by the time you're playing on Varisty teams, all the best players are in the WHL meaning the competition their facing while playing with that team is nothing more then future Jr. A maybe Jr. B players. I'd say most players in GB's U20 team could hold down a spot on a WHL/OHL/QMJHL spot but because there's only 2 spots per team, they don't want a Euro spot used on a 3rd or 4th line forward or bottom pair D. They want a top 6 forward or top 4 D so a lot of Brits could likely play, they just aren't the best available for the 2 spots per team :(

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Check the "where are they now" tab on EP and you can see guys who played at that level. 1 brit in the list for that specific team, Daniel Fuller. Nothing special there.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/where_are_they_now.php?team=9930

Like I said before, in Western Canada by the time you're playing on Varisty teams, all the best players are in the WHL meaning the competition their facing while playing with that team is nothing more then future Jr. A maybe Jr. B players. I'd say most players in GB's U20 team could hold down a spot on a WHL/OHL/QMJHL spot but because there's only 2 spots per team, they don't want a Euro spot used on a 3rd or 4th line forward or bottom pair D. They want a top 6 forward or top 4 D so a lot of Brits could likely play, they just aren't the best available for the 2 spots per team :(

Well Fuller is playing EJHL south, same league as Musil and Chilcott.

Thread for U18 tournament coming soon btw, not long until that now.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I have some bad news for you, it seems that Brendan might not actually be eligible for GB. Apparently your two years played in the country have to be after the age of 12. I think that would also make Scott Conway ineligible, but Brett would be eligible.

Last edited:

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
I have some bad news for you, it seems that Brendan might not actually be eligible for GB. Apparently your two years played in the country have to be after the age of 12. I think that would also make Scott Conway ineligible, but Brett would be eligible.

sounds like bull. He was born in GB & played all his hockey there until he was 12

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
That's for guys who change nationality. They were born in GB, they're considered British.

& Scott Conway was named to the GB preliminary roster last year for the U18s lol Doubt they woulda named him to the prelim roster if he wasn't eligible

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
That's for guys who change nationality. They were born in GB, they're considered British.

& Scott Conway was named to the GB preliminary roster last year for the U18s lol Doubt they woulda named him to the prelim roster if he wasn't eligible

No someone in the international tournaments section said there was a similar case of Norbert Hari, a Hungarian born and raised player who moved to Sweden to play hockey at age 12, thus making him ineligible to play for Hungary. It's almost an identical case to Perlini, as his older brother is eligible and does play for Hungary despite playing most of his hockey in Sweden.

From IIHF statutes and bylaws:

1.6 When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered another citizenship and wants to participate for the
first time in an IIHF championship and/or an Olympic competition representing his country of choice he must:
a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12
th birthday in the
national competitions of and be a legal resident in his new country during which period he has neither transferred to another
country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country;

They have changed nationality. In this case the Perlini's have acquired another citizenship: Canada. They are dual citizens, it doesn't matter where they were born, they have to meet the 2 years after the age of 12 criteria.

Last edited:

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
No someone in the international tournaments section said there was a similar case of Norbert Hari, a Hungarian born and raised player who moved to Sweden to play hockey at age 12, thus making him ineligible to play for Hungary. It's almost an identical case to Perlini, as his older brother is eligible and does play for Hungary despite playing most of his hockey in Sweden.

meh a guy posting in a tournament section isn't much of a source lol there could be way more to that story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad