Great Britain: British players abroad

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Is there a link for IIHF eligibility for dual-citizens?

There's a kid playing in the states named Sean Day who was born in Belgium, grew up and played in the USA but claims he'll play for Canada despite never playing in Canada before lol just wanted to see the exact rules on that stuff

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Is there a link for IIHF eligibility for dual-citizens?

There's a kid playing in the states named Sean Day who was born in Belgium, grew up and played in the USA but claims he'll play for Canada despite never playing in Canada before lol just wanted to see the exact rules on that stuff

The IIHF rules are very unclear, but it looks like we could see another Liam Stewart situation here. Basically this kid isn't eligible for ANY national teams, he's a citizen of Belgium and Canada but has never played hockey in either country, he may have to get special dispensation like Liam Stewart did. He doesn't have USA citizenship, so he can't play for them.

If he didn't have that Belgian citizenship, he would be allowed to play for Canada (Olaf Kolzig situation)

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Swindon and Peterborough are certainly leading the way with regards to junior development, got the four best young forwards around at the moment in Taylor, Betteridge, Hook and Cownie plus Balmer, Harley and Whyte guesting.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Scott Conway is at 47pts in 44GP with Texas Tornado of the NAHL. Just as a comparison, Jack Prince had 50pts in 56GP with Texas Tornado in his first season and he was a year older than Conway.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Scott Conway is at 47pts in 44GP with Texas Tornado of the NAHL. Just as a comparison, Jack Prince had 50pts in 56GP with Texas Tornado in his first season and he was a year older than Conway.

Is there any chance he gets drafted? I know there's usually a few every year from the NAHL. The EP stats are a little out of date but he's the top scoring U18 by a country mile.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Is there any chance he gets drafted? I know there's usually a few every year from the NAHL. The EP stats are a little out of date but he's the top scoring U18 by a country mile.

I'd say yes. Like you said there's always a couple picked out of the NAHL so he could drop in the 6th or 7th round. Should be interesting.

It would also be cool if he made it to the USHL next season

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
What's Perlini's national team situation? Any idea if he'd be willing to play for GB?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
What's Perlini's national team situation? Any idea if he'd be willing to play for GB?

I think no, at least until his hopes of playing for Canada are gone. I know a lot of people who knew the Perlini brothers when they play here, and they saw themselves as Canadians living in England.

Another question would be whether or not Tony Hand would be willing to select them, given his attitude towards dual nationals.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
I think no, at least until his hopes of playing for Canada are gone. I know a lot of people who knew the Perlini brothers when they play here, and they saw themselves as Canadians living in England.

Another question would be whether or not Tony Hand would be willing to select them, given his attitude towards dual nationals.

What's the difference between them and Ben O'Connor?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
What's the difference between them and Ben O'Connor?

Both their parents are Canadian, I believe O'Connor's father was a Canadian dual national and his mother was British. He also played more of his hockey career here. Ben O'Connor and his family made GB their permanent residence, the Perlinis moved back "home"
Ben O'Connor's first nationality is English, the Perlini's first nationality is Canadian.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Nope, sorry

Only reason I even included Liam Stewart is because he definitely wants to play for us

I heard "Rod Stewarts wife" (didn't catch her name lol) was getting a reality show or being put on a reality show. So that'd be Liam's stepmom I guess? So if hockey doesn't work out.... lol

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
What happened to Joseph Lewis? Haven't seen his stats updated in a while http://www.rodi-db.de/player.php?id=16299&setLang=EN

I know from facebook he's still in Germany, haven't seen anything about injury.

Having done some further stats digging, they appear to have 3 imports and I believe in that league they can only dress 2 per game. So he must have sat out some games. In the "Meisterschaftsrunde" (whatever that means) the American guy has played 14 games while Joey and the Swedish guy have played 6 each, so they must be taking turns to sit. The other 2 imports have each played 2 games in the "Zwischenrund" while Joey hasn't played.

Team stats from that website: http://www.rodi-db.de/roster.php?team_id=42&season_id=3058

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I'll make it clear right away that this means absolutely nothing and the site is kinda sketchy but still interesting:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

#17 ;)

That mock draft also has the Rangers winning the cup :laugh:

iQhfIsCHNAYMe.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad