OT: Bringing the OHL to Buffalo

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'd love love love this. But wouldn't want our "group" to take on more than they could handle. One step at a time. Lets see how the new center does in it's first few years, see if it proves to be the asset and commodity it can be. And then reassess.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd love love love this. But wouldn't want our "group" to take on more than they could handle. One step at a time. Lets see how the new center does in it's first few years, see if it proves to be the asset and commodity it can be. And then reassess.

They wouldn't play there anyways would they?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
They wouldn't play there anyways would they?

No, they'd (likely) play at FNC, I'd think. But I think the timing should be after they see what they have in the adjacent center.

Is all this additional traffic going to cause any problems, is the new addition of the complex conducive to adding another professional team to the area, etc..

I read that the max seating in the biggest of the new rinks is 1800 people. That's not nearly enough for an Ontario League team, obviously.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I grew up in NT and used to go to see the Niagara Falls Flyers years ago. I actually saw Jay McKee play when he played in NF. I used to drive in Ontario once a month and see games at Guelph and London. The OHL is fantastic!

I'm stunned they league hasn't tried to find a way to get this done years ago. The first thing you have to have is a 7/10K arena and that seems like a waste of money. Unless one is built and shared with Canisius and even UB if they bring in an NCAA hockey program. However, I think logistics makes that very difficult.

On that same line, when is Buffalo getting the Frozen Four back and for that matter the World Junior Championships? Both those events were well received.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
To answer your last question first: The Frozen Four and WJC won't return here. Not for a LONG time.

Second: The larger rink being built as part of the Harbor Center project only seats about 2,000 and will be used as Canisius' new home(they previously played at Buffalo State's rink). The OHL would be out of the question there-and maybe even at FNC unless you curtain off the upper deck. However, as Calgary and Edmonton prove to varying degrees, the NHL AND OHL can co-exist.

Clayman122

Mar 27, 2013
Oh, the strange, conflicted feelings I'd have if a Buffalo OHL team developed a rivalry with the Otters. I don't think I've ever cheered against a Buffalo team before :laugh:

Pretty sure you need at least 5000-6000 seat arena for an OHL club, so I think the team would have to play at the FNC. Might be a bit of difficulty scheduling, but Edmonton makes it work at Rexall Place, as I understand it.

It's certainly a cool idea; would be awesome as an (cheap) alternative for hockey fans in the area. I'm not sure any OHL franchises are looking at relocate right now, though.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yes, the Calgary Hitmen play at the Scotiabank Saddledome where the Flames do, so it is certainly feasible. It all depends on if there is a market, and I'm sure there would be. I grew up in Oshawa (barf) so we had the Generals and seeing Tavares play was a treat.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the OHL spread into NY state soon.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To answer your last question first: The Frozen Four and WJC won't return here. Not for a LONG time.

Why do you say that???? what are your sources?

Buffalo is a regular host for the first round of the NCAA tournament and they hosted the frozen 4 in 2003.

In terms of Hockey markets Bufalo is one of the strongest.

As for juniors in Buffalo....

i live in the Seattle area so there are 5 teams in Wshington State and Portland from the WHL.

It would work in Buffalo and WNY.

I think a better location would be in Amherst/Tonawanda area that then could be used by Canisuis, Niagara, and UB for hockey games, smaler concerts, and other events with capacity of around 5,000-8,000.

I think you could form a US quivalent of jr leagues in the NE and great Lakes. this would create a 4th junior level league which then creates a nice little final 4. the smis are at a neutral site with best of 3s and then the winners play a best of 3.

locations for teams that are not current NHL cities: Fargo, grand forks, Duluth, Madison, Milwaukee, Des Moines, rochester, MN, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Lansing, toledo, Cleveland, Harrisburg, Trenton, Niagara Fallas, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Providence, Hartford, Portland, ME, Burlinton, VT.

what the CHL and this could do is split the central canadian part of the WHL and then add teams from ND, MIN, WIS, etc, Put the NY,PA, MI teams in the OHL, and then put some of the eastern OHL and NE into the Q.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
DJP: Chill for a minute. You're thinking of the NCAA basketball tourney, which DOES come every few years(and will come back to Buffalo next year). As for the Frozen Four, the NCAA doesn't release the host sites that far in advance; Philly gets the Frozen Four next year.

The WJC now alternates between Canada, the U.S. and another country. So every 3 years, the U.S. gets to host it. 2016 is the EARLIEST the U.S. will get it; Malmo, Sweden gets it for next season, and Canada will have it in 2015.

As for the markets you mentioned...the vast majority either have the AHL(Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, etc.), ECHL(Toledo, Trenton, etc.), the USHL(Des Moines, Indy, etc.)or college hockey(Madison, etc.) Right off the bat, the league you mention would struggle to get people to watch their games.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
There are already too many American teams in the CANADIAN hockey league.

That being said, the OHL and CHL are all about making money so I wouldn't put it past them to move another Canadian franchise to Buffalo. Would make for a good rivalry with Erie and the Niagara IceDogs.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
MW: That said, the Q doesn't have any U.S. based teams. The OHL only has 3. The Dub has 5, all grouped into their own division.

Here's the obvious question: IF the OHL wanted to bring a team into Buffalo, which OHL team would be in the highest danger of being moved?

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
MW: That said, the Q doesn't have any U.S. based teams. The OHL only has 3. The Dub has 5, all grouped into their own division.

Here's the obvious question: IF the OHL wanted to bring a team into Buffalo, which OHL team would be in the highest danger of being moved?

From what i've read:
Belleville could be on the move in the future, but they recently signed a 2 year lease to allow for discussions about a new arena with the city to take place.

Mississauga has always had terrible attendance and could relocate in a season or two if the new owner isn't happy with the turnouts. Brampton was the same, but they are already moving for North Bay.

Erie has been in the relocation talks for last few years too, but with the renovations taking place at their new arena, i doubt they want to move.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

World Junior Future Sites - 2014-Malmo, Sweden - 2015-Canada - 2016-Finland - 2017-Canada - 2018-United States - 2019- Canada - 2020-Czech Republic - 2021-Canada.

World Juniors: United States is scheduled to host the 2018 edition (Dec 2017-Jan 2018) - Buffalo will be in the running for that one - along with probably Grand Folks, North Dakota and St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota. Rumor has it 2015 or 2017 will be a joint bid with Hamilton and Toronto. If its 2017, hopefully that doesn't hurt the chances of Buffalo hosting it in 2018. Hockey Canada will announce what cities will host 2015/2017 editions sometime this fall.

NCAA Frozen Four: The next opening is for 2015. Since Pittsburgh is hosting this years and Philadelphia is hosting next years, Buffalo will probably be out for 2015 since the NCAA will probably want to have it out in the Midwest (St. Louis? Minneapolis? Chicago?) So look for Buffalo to try to host it in 2016. The NCAA should announce what the 2015/2016 (and 2017?) Frozen Four sites sometime later this year.

Last edited:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I think a better location would be in Amherst/Tonawanda area that then could be used by Canisuis, Niagara, and UB for hockey games, smaler concerts, and other events with capacity of around 5,000-8,000.

Three college programs just couldn't share a rink because the NCAA plays most of it's regular season games on the weekend typically in a weekend host. Which means every other weekend one of the college programs would need the rink, the other week they'd be on the road. Canisuis and UB could share but Niagara has their own arena. However, you can't add in a OHL team into that as the weekends would be locked up for much of the college season.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I would 100% buy season tickets to an OHL team playing in FNC. The OHL is my second favorite league in the world and the hockey is pretty entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad