Bring the NHL to Houston!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Yes, but now that there are 30 teams it's not about what the NHL wants if no one is willing to buy a failing Franchise. The NHL can't just up and buy a team and move them to Houston if someone with bigger pockets is trying to get them to QC.

Fair point.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure it's growing in Texas, that must be why nobody goes to Stars games.

Are you being ignorant out of spite or just because you don't care to actually know anything about what you discuss? The Stars missed the playoffs for the third straight season and this season was a 15k average. The two years prior were both over 17k averages in attendance. Nobody goes to Stars games? If you want to argue that point, you're fighting a losing battle.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Are you being ignorant out of spite or just because you don't care to actually know anything about what you discuss? The Stars missed the playoffs for the third straight season and this season was a 15k average. The two years prior were both over 17k averages in attendance. Nobody goes to Stars games? If you want to argue that point, you're fighting a losing battle.

15 is not good. But have you seen any Stars games on tv last year? Empty. I was suprised myself as I thought the Stars were a thriving franchise. But when I saw that I couldn't believe it. I'm not saying it's just Dallas though, the NHL has had attendances issues all year across the board. But it's definitly worse in certain places.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
15 is not good. But have you seen any Stars games on tv last year? Empty. I was suprised myself as I thought the Stars were a thriving franchise. But when I saw that I couldn't believe it. I'm not saying it's just Dallas though, the NHL has had attendances issues all year across the board. But it's definitly worse in certain places.

15 is good for a team that missed the playoffs for the third straight season. Anyone understanding the realities of pro sports understands that. Not a shocker that you don't.

The more insulting part of your whole posting here is that you link the growth of hockey in Texas to the Stars' attendance numbers. Facts prove that statement you made to be absurdly false. It discredits pretty much every thought you could really ever have on this subject so you really should just stop posting on this subject.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Are you ok? Five? So what? That leaves Montreal and Toronto I'm guessing lol...

Or did you forget the :sarcasm: because maybe i'm looking silly for taking you seriously.

He is a propenet of have only Montreal Toronto Vancouver and Calgary with NHL teams.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON

Unfortunately when there's 8+ franchises in the south one or two of them (or more) will miss the playoffs for 3 straight years. Not all of them can, or ever will make the playoffs all the time. If the only thing keeping these teams alive is Mike Modano winning them Stanley cups then we got a problem. :dumbo:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I seriously doubt the NHL wants to add another small market Canadian team. Hockey is growing rapidly in Texas; having a team in Houston will only push that growth further.

Hamilton would not be considered a small market franchise because Hamilton's population is little over 700.000 just like winnipeg but unlike winnipeg Hamilton has access to millions of people in the areas outside city such Kitchener\Waterloo , London , Brantford , Burlington ect. .

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They'll definitely be the next American city to get a team IMO, but not for another 5-10 years, when they do the next wave of expansion.

Needs to happen though, would love it for Dallas.

Ownership issues were the reason for attendence issues. That'll be solved by next season, attendence should be much higher.

Jul 10, 2010
the next team to relocate goes to quebec. simple as that. the nhl took their nordiques, they owe them.

after then ive got to say balsille gets his team in hamilton.

after those two houston becomes a viable option

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
the next team to relocate goes to quebec. simple as that. the nhl took their nordiques, they owe them.

The NHL doesn't "owe" anybody. If/when they get financial backing, Quebec City has a shot at a team. And it has nothing to do with anything they are "owed".

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unfortunately when there's 8+ franchises in the south one or two of them (or more) will miss the playoffs for 3 straight years. Not all of them can, or ever will make the playoffs all the time. If the only thing keeping these teams alive is Mike Modano winning them Stanley cups then we got a problem. :dumbo:

I'm not expecting them to make the playoffs every year. I do expect them to attempt to make the team competitive and give their fans hope. It's not an accident that when the team loses consistently, the fans don't show up in the same numbers as when they succeed. That is the reality of pro sports in America.

However, it's quite silly that you say the only thing keeping these teams alive is Mike Modano winning them Stanley Cups. The purpose of sports in terms of success at the gate, is having some sort of draw. You have to have a product that will sell to your consumers. Whether that is a superstar or a winning team, something has to keep their interest. The teams losing over and over again or ownership concerns are great ways to taint that product.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
I'm not expecting them to make the playoffs every year. I do expect them to attempt to make the team competitive and give their fans hope. It's not an accident that when the team loses consistently, the fans don't show up in the same numbers as when they succeed. That is the reality of pro sports in America.

Did the Stars not do that this year? They missed the playoffs by one game if I remember correctly...
However, it's quite silly that you say the only thing keeping these teams alive is Mike Modano winning them Stanley Cups. The purpose of sports in terms of success at the gate, is having some sort of draw. You have to have a product that will sell to your consumers. Whether that is a superstar or a winning team, something has to keep their interest. The teams losing over and over again or ownership concerns are great ways to taint that product.

But it's bound to happen to some teams. Look, when there are 30 teams in the NHL there will be bottom feeders and unfortunately they won't be the Flames, Leafs, Oilers and the Islanders for all of eternity even if it seems that way now. Eventually teams turn it around and start making the playoffs leaving room for the occasional sunbelt team at the bottom for a few years, and if the team can't survive because of it, then they shouldn't exist.

Dallas clearly had fans in the late 90's during Modano's prime, but what seems odd is that people have seen how great Hockey is in Dallas and yet can turn their backs on it when things arent going well.

Dado

This is a recent phenomenon, but please, continue to be ignorant.

It can't be just "recent" - they're having a hell of a time selling the Stars for decent coin - if the team was a cash machine that wouldn't be the case.

If Houston wants a team, buy Dallas's and truck it down the highway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Did the Stars not do that this year? They missed the playoffs by one game if I remember correctly...

But it's bound to happen to some teams. Look, when there are 30 teams in the NHL there will be bottom feeders and unfortunately they won't be the Flames, Leafs, Oilers and the Islanders for all of eternity even if it seems that way now. Eventually teams turn it around and start making the playoffs leaving room for the occasional sunbelt team at the bottom for a few years, and if the team can't survive because of it, then they shouldn't exist.

Dallas clearly had fans in the late 90's during Modano's prime, but what seems odd is that people have seen how great Hockey is in Dallas and yet can turn their backs on it when things arent going well.

They weren't that good the last two years and they really weren't all that good this year either. They missed it by one game mostly due to Chicago than it was themselves.

And the comment about not surviving is ridiculous. Dallas is surviving just fine. They just need a new owner. The Stars have been historically one of the top ten franchises in value. It is also ridiculous because there were times when certain Canadian teams were struggling and sucking in the past and needed big time assistance to survive and yet they weren't moved so why the quick trigger finger? Maybe because it's a bias against this region?

It can't be just "recent" - they're having a hell of a time selling the Stars for decent coin - if the team was a cash machine that wouldn't be the case.

If Houston wants a team, buy Dallas's and truck it down the highway.

Uh, do you even know what you're responding to? He's talking about attendance there and he is right. The transaction of selling the franchise is separate from that. And the last line is a typical response to resolving these issues. To hell with showing some patience and trying to resolve the issue. Just pick up and ship out.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary

lol

Not the NHL's fault the Nordiques couldn't survive. They were in the same boat as the Jets. Weak Canadian dollar, arena was a toilet, no local ownership. What did you expect the NHL to do? Quebec can try and get a team when their new arena is built. Until then, ex-Nords fans should quit complaining that they don't have a team.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

Let's be realistic.

• Houston has an arena NOW. If Les Alexander wants an NHL franchise, he goes to the top of the list.
  • Quebec's arena will be ready Sept 2015 for the 2015-2016 season ASSUMING NO STRIKES. This is Quebec we're talking about. Unlike the sunbelt, you can't dig in the ground in winter in Quebec. It's frozen. So a 6 or 8 week strike could push Quebec's new arena back to the 2016-2017 season.
  • As for Balsiilie, his previous attempt at getting in was voted down 27-0 by the BOG. This is not a Gary Bettman thing, this is a BOG thing. Balsillie is the ultimate example of how NOT to make friends and influence people. When do I think Balsillie gets an NHL franchise?
    hell-froze-over.jpg

[/LIST]

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Personally, I say no more (as in additional) NHL teams in Canada. In fact, personally, I think there are four or five too many teams in Canada.

You'd be happy if the Laughs were the only team in Canada, No more Teams not from the center of the Universe on the Toronto Sports Network and the CBC

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think I remember reading a while ago something that was linked on HF about an increase in the number of players in Texas at some absurd level. The challenge is to get those people who play it, to watch it. I reckon it would probably work but they should attempt to gauge interest first, something you can't do on the back of AHL games. Personally, I would like to see a team in Houston but I think that Quebec would be more ready and able.

Steve Passless*

I feel like the sports schedule is pretty much set for people in Houston. They have their baseball, they have their football, then they have more football, then they have even more football still. The University of Texas just started a full-fledged cable channel. I don't think there's going to be a slice of the pie left for the NHL.

Puckschmuck*

This is a recent phenomenon, but please, continue to be ignorant.

Just to point out how many people call Canadians ignorant for such things as you did, but isn't it also ignorant when Americans say that small-market Canadian teams will hinder or kill the NHL as a league, when we all know damn well that isn't the case?

Just sayin.....................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad