Post-Game Talk: Bring on the season, see you Thursday @Beezer with the GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Didnt catch the game last night so I cant say anything about that. But I know Tips had a better camp than Malgin, and that's with Malgin getting an opportunity to run with Barky and Dads.

I'd say that's arguable. Malgin can't buy a goal but he creates chances for others with his speed. Tippett showed he can score but other than one nice shot and couple of dangles I don't think he did much.

IMO Malgin did show a bit more but even if that's not the case, it's splitting hairs. There's really no point of losing guys on waivers over that.

Reactions: RainingRats

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Pysyk had a better preseason than Matheson
I didn’t see half of the preseason but I really have a hard time agreeing with that based on what I did see.

Pysyk is and always will be the inept one who especially can’t be counted on when he’s most needed. A two on one. A crucial clear when the opposition pulls their goalie. Not leaving your guy alone on a backdoor. Taking the guy in front of the net when up a goal with a minute to go. Etc.

Pysyk is the guy you put on the ice when you want the other team to believe they can come back and win the game. He should sit as soon as we have a lead.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I didn’t see half of the preseason but I really have a hard time agreeing with that based on what I did see.

Pysyk is and always will be the inept one who especially can’t be counted on when he’s most needed. A two on one. A crucial clear when the opposition pulls their goalie. Not leaving your guy alone on a backdoor. Taking the guy in front of the net when up a goal with a minute to go. Etc.

Pysyk is the guy you put on the ice when you want the other team to believe they can come back and win the game. He should sit as soon as we have a lead.
This is a great description of Matheson

Pysyk is a solid depth defenseman. Not sure why so many are so down on him. I’d rather have two Pysyks than two Mathesons

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
The only noticeably bad move I seen Pysyk do last night was skating the puck deep into the offensive zone. He ended turning it over around the goal line and Tampa turned it into a 2-on-1. Tampa then kept it in our zone with pressure for the last minute or so left in the period.

I thought Tipp had a better preseason than Malgin but I do understand all the benefits of sending him down.

-ghoste

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Normally I would agree, but, as I'm sure you know, there ALWAYS seems to be a coach/GM who thinks they can take one teams turnover machine and turn it into treasure. You may have to retain some, but if you move them as a package, the retention may not sting as much. This is all hypothetical.

I still have faith Eks can turn it around. Matheson. I don't know

Reactions: Mase

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This is a great description of Matheson

Pysyk is a solid depth defenseman. Not sure why so many are so down on him. I’d rather have two Pysyks than two Mathesons
I could not disagree more. Pretty crappy response.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm still playing the patient card, Kitchen's extra time with Ek and Math is in total good faith and recognition of why from the coaching staff.

I'm hard on them as I'm calling it like I see it, I think they have sucked but I sure as hell don't think they suck. Especially when they play with any type of true aggression whatsoever. All of them, Pysyk and all.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I know you couldn't disagree more but there's nothing to support your position.

Pysyk is more reliable, lower risk, better defensively, and makes far fewer mistakes than Matheson. Matheson is a turnover, unforced error machine. The easiest way to make Matheson have less of a negative impact on this team is to play him less.

One was a -1 last year, the other was a -24...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'd say that's arguable. Malgin can't buy a goal but he creates chances for others with his speed. Tippett showed he can score but other than one nice shot and couple of dangles I don't think he did much.

IMO Malgin did show a bit more but even if that's not the case, it's splitting hairs. There's really no point of losing guys on waivers over that.

Yeah, no I get it. I understand one is waiver exempt and the other isnt. But I do think they are probably working on trade scenarios to move someone.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

Pysyk is more reliable, lower risk, better defensively, and makes far fewer mistakes than Matheson. Matheson is a turnover, unforced error machine. The easiest way to make Matheson have less of a negative impact on this team is to play him less.

Pysyk couldn't take more minutes though and he wouldn't look good against better competition IMO

But I agree, he can be a legit #5 or #6

Matheson on the other hand, has yet to prove me he can still play in the NHL.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I bet you and your cohorts here never bought Apple, Amazon, or Google either and got your 401k going all into bonds.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Pysyk is a good depth piece to have but easily replaceable now that we have Brown and Stillman ready. His deal runs out after this year and then it's thanks & bye.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I bet you and your cohorts here never bought Apple, Amazon, or Google either and got your 401k going all into bonds.
This doesn't make any sense. It's a terrible analogy. Barkov, Bob, Huberdeae are the Apples and Amazons of our team. Matheson is We Work. You want to buy a stock with bad fundamentals in hopes it has upside. Terrible investment strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
I just can’t get over not trading Pysyk to make the best possible lineup... he should’ve been traded and Tippett and Stillman should’ve made the roster. Kinda dumb..

Maybe they did try and move him, but couldn't find a taker cause they weren't willing to retain. You don know what you don't know.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This doesn't make any sense. It's a terrible analogy. Barkov, Bob, Huberdeae are the Apples and Amazons of our team. Matheson is We Work.
Moving the goalposts when you can’t just simply support your own point. Actually, worse than moving the goalposts, you’re changing my analogy and then projecting something that I did not state.

I was NOT saying the TEAM is only willing to make safe looking, mediocre investments. I was saying YOU and some others here clearly are. Matheson is very obviously the better player than Pysyk, if we were to make that comparison. But I didn’t even say that - you brought that comparison up, with your terrible response.

I was making a statement about Pysyk. He’s a weak, unreliable, barely NHL level Dman whose contract is way off. I think he’s worse for the team than Malgin. Next time, please respond to what I actually said, there should be no making up stuff like you did here.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I figured tipp and stillman would be long shots based on the waiver status. But I don't think this is a bad move. No, we're not necessarily icing the best team possible on day 1, I think tippet and stillman are better on this team than not. But there will be injuries, we will need depth, so overall this makes us a better team through a season instead of losing guys to waivers.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Moving the goalposts when you can’t just simply support your own point. Actually, worse than moving the goalposts, you’re changing my analogy and then projecting something that I did not state.

I was NOT saying the TEAM is only willing to make safe looking, mediocre investments. I was saying YOU and some others here clearly are. Matheson is very obviously the better player than Pysyk, if we were to make that comparison. But I didn’t even say that - you brought that comparison up, with your terrible response.

I was making a statement about Pysyk. He’s a weak, unreliable, barely NHL level Dman whose contract is way off. I think he’s worse for the team than Malgin. Next time, please respond to what I actually said, there should be no making up stuff like you did here.
I'm not moving the goalposts, it's possible you don't understand stocks or investing though.

You're saying Matheson has upside, sure, I don't disagree, but he also has a lot of downside and hasn't shown any type of consistency or good decision making. If we can ice a D that doesn't make as many unforced errors/turnovers, our D will be a lot better. Matheson has by far the most negative impact on this team with his unforced errors/turnovers. I think he led the whole league in turnovers or was close to leading the league, that's bad, really really bad.

Except Matheson is not obviously the better player. Matheson has a lot more potential upside but he has a much lower floor than Pysyk. No, Pysyk is reliable, he's very clearly an NHL player, and his contract is fine, Matheson's contract is a thousand times worse so that's a bizarre thing to complain about. There's no way he's worse for the team than Malgin, he's a steady depth d-man. Pysyk was a -1 last year, Matheson was a -24 and probably led the league in turnovers. Banking on Stillman and Brown is stupid and short sighted. You're two injuries away from icing a terrible group if you don't have a guy like Pysyk on the roster. Depth is a good thing, we need it, there will be injuries. Sounds like you simply don't understand Pysyk's role.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
In short:

Pysyk is better at his role than Matheson is at his.

Pysyk is a 3rd pairing D, and he excels at that.

Matheson is being used as a top pairing D, and I mean #1 LD, and he is absolutely getting buried.

There is no investments here, just a misappropriation of talent.

Matheson Pysyk as a bottom pair would be elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad