Post-Game Talk: Bring on the season, see you Thursday @Beezer with the GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
In short:

Pysyk is better at his role than Matheson is at his.

Pysyk is a 3rd pairing D, and he excels at that.

Matheson is being used as a top pairing D, and I mean #1 LD, and he is absolutely getting buried.

There is no investments here, just a misappropriation of talent.

Matheson Pysyk as a bottom pair would be elite.

Agree. I would add though that Math has looked a bit better in the pre-season. Not that it's saying much when you consider how bad he was.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Tough Stillman and OT got cut, but at this point it comes down to waivers and salary-cap I guess, which I don't understand. :damnpc:

I think many people predicted Brown would be the seventh defenseman. I think he'll be good in that role. His defensive awareness in his own Zone, and ability to play physical are good fits for that spot. I don't think he had a bad preseason, just that Stillman was overall better than him. :5:

Good for whoever guessed Hunt would make the final roster spot. :handclap:

And to whoever thought Toninato would make it this far :highclap:, good on you! That surprised me for sure. :eek2:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm not moving the goalposts, it's possible you don't understand stocks or investing though.

You're saying Matheson has upside, sure, I don't disagree, but he also has a lot of downside and hasn't shown any type of consistency or good decision making. If we can ice a D that doesn't make as many unforced errors/turnovers, our D will be a lot better. Matheson has by far the most negative impact on this team with his unforced errors/turnovers. I think he led the whole league in turnovers or was close to leading the league, that's bad, really really bad.

Except Matheson is not obviously the better player. Matheson has a lot more potential upside but he has a much lower floor than Pysyk. No, Pysyk is reliable, he's very clearly an NHL player, and his contract is fine, Matheson's contract is a thousand times worse so that's a bizarre thing to complain about. There's no way he's worse for the team than Malgin, he's a steady depth d-man. Pysyk was a -1 last year, Matheson was a -24 and probably led the league in turnovers. Banking on Stillman and Brown is stupid and short sighted. You're two injuries away from icing a terrible group if you don't have a guy like Pysyk on the roster. Depth is a good thing, we need it, there will be injuries. Sounds like you simply don't understand Pysyk's role.
I explained already that what you did was worse than moving goalposts. I can see you ignored it.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
In short:

Matheson is being used as a top pairing D, and I mean #1 LD, and he is absolutely getting buried.

Pysyk is not better at his role than Matheson at his. They’re about equal, relative to their roles, except that Matheson has an upside, Pysyk has none.

Pysyk is hardly a 3rd pairing Dman, he’s one of the two biggest mistakes on this team, and the other one is not Matheson.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Pysyk is not better at his role than Matheson at his. They’re about equal, relative to their roles, except that Matheson has an upside, Pysyk has none.

Pysyk is hardly a 3rd pairing Dman, he’s one of the two biggest mistakes on this team, and the other one is not Matheson.

What?

When has Matheson ever done well as a TOP PAIR? Meanwhile, Pysyk had a whole season where he succeeded as a bottom pair.

He failed as a second pair, so there is evidence he is a good 3rd pair.

There is no evidence (except 5 games against the Islanders).

slamz

Aug 28, 2019
Which is insanity to me. That should never determine what you do with a player.

Malgin does nothing for this team and I stand by that and will continue to do so. Malgin will be gone by Christmas.
remind me in 3 months which team malgin plays for i might forget.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
In short:

When Matheson plays like he has a pair, he is a 1 LD :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->