Bring on the Knights

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
The Habs really can't buy an ounce of respect this year. The arguments people are making for why the Habs have 0 chance vs Vegas are the same ones they made in Round 1 and 2. "They wouldn't have even made the playoffs in a regular year! Bad record! Vegas is more exciting! Habs are slow!"

I've stopped following hockey more seriously for several years now but I really want the Habs to dismantle Vegas in this series... you know, so I can read all about how they have no chance to win in the Cup finals.

People are too narrow-minded to accept that hockey isn't played on paper and the winner isn't decided in the regular season.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I'm nervous now. What if this series reach 7 games? What if they beat Vegas?

I'm going in Gaspesia with my girlfriend in a remote area to hike and camp in the wilderness from the 25th of June to the 2nd of July.... Changing my plan is a no-no. Can you imagine missing a game 7th or the Stanley Cup final? Why the Habs are so unpredictable?!
Big mistake.

Reactions: Gains

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Habs really can't buy an ounce of respect this year. The arguments people are making for why the Habs have 0 chance vs Vegas are the same ones they made in Round 1 and 2. "They wouldn't have even made the playoffs in a regular year! Bad record! Vegas is more exciting! Habs are slow!"

I've stopped following hockey more seriously for several years now but I really want the Habs to dismantle Vegas in this series... you know, so I can read all about how they have no chance to win in the Cup finals.

People are too narrow-minded to accept that hockey isn't played on paper and the winner isn't decided in the regular season.
The analytics community especially is doubling down, their models are based on projecting regular season performance....and can’t take into account for example playoff Price

Reactions: TeamlessWatcher

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I picked the habs in 5 on the mainboard when I meant 6. My rational brain says Vegas will win, but by emotional brain believes the habs can do it.

Here are Vegas' weaknesses:

1. They have some fast forwards, but they are not a skating team. They'll be relying a lot on dumping the puck. It will be key for Price to break the dump & chase and prevent Vegas from setting up their offense.
2. If the habs clog the neutral zone, Vegas will have trouble gaining the offensive zone. The habs need to be diligent here.
3. They don't have high end talent like Toronto or Colorado does. They have skilled guys, but not elite players. If Price plays like he did against Toronto, Vegas will have a hard time scoring even when they get chances.
4. They swarm the puck carrier. It'll be key for the habs to win those battles and cycle the puck to open players as a result

What they need to be careful about:
1. Counter attack. Vegas has D that can move the puck quickly. A turnover or bad offensive zone play can easily lead to an odd-man rush/breakaway with players like Tuch and Pacioretty.
2. Mark Stone: If Matthews gave Weber, Chairot, Petry and Edmundson a hard time with intercepting pucks and forcing turnovers, Mark Stone is at the next level. He's the best player in the league at doing this. They need to be aware at all times when he's on the ice.
3. Net front presence: Vegas will cause havoc in front of Price. Chiarot and Weber have struggled keeping track of loose pucks in the crease area this year.
4. Vegas cut the Avs speed game. The Habs relied heavily on the counter attack against the leafs and it was the main killer against the Jets. I don't think they will get those same opportunities, or at least way less, against Vegas.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I find it absurd that the Vegas Golden Showers,who had the pick of the litter at their own expansion draft and who have had nothing but success since coming into the league, don't have to lose a player during the Seattle Crackheads draft.

Reactions: Walrus26

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm kinda thinking that the Avs might've been a better matchup for us. Knights play a more physical game with a good netminder. Going to be tougher to score. With the Avs it would've been all about shutting down that speed but the Knights seem more playoff ready.

Either way, it was always going to be a really hard matchup.

and that's probably why the Knights won too :) I think one thing we'll have over the Knights is the Center line - which is pretty rare for us

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Habs vs Toronto......habs will get obliterated!!!......Habs vs the Jest....habs will get obliterated!! Habs vs the Knights........Habs will get obliterated!!
Bring on the obliteartion babyyyyyyyyyyyy!
We are the Rodney Dangerfields of the NHL playoffs.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I find it absurd that the Vegas Golden Showers,who had the pick of the litter at their own expansion draft and who have had nothing but success since coming into the league, don't have to lose a player during the Seattle Crackheads draft.
Why? They aren’t getting a cut of the expansion fee

Reactions: DAChampion

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
All the experts think we'll have a Vegas-Tampa cup final...

well don't be surprised if Montreal is the underdog in every series. They were dead last in pts amongst p'ayoff teams and don't have a great track record in recent years unlike the other teams left

Reactions: Licentia

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Let the world underestimate our team. We don't care. They haven't watched us play. I trust this team to be very competitive and poised. We'll have to rely on a tight defense and be opportunistic up front. We will come out victorious. Win or lose, we support the Montreal Canadiens. Let's go mes tabarnak

Heck I underestimate our team ;) Let's hope everyone plays 100% and Price is top not h! We'll need him

Reactions: dinodebino

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
People are not taking our secret weapon under consideration here: Philip Danault.

If he's able to take Vegas first line out like he did against Toronto and Winnipeg that leaves the Suzuki lines against the Karlsson lines and honestly I like that matchup.

That said, Vegas in 4.

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
The good news is the Habs get no respect. It will be an advantage. People can’t seem to grasp the concept, that at this point what happened in the regular season is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Knights are a hitting machine. It's gonna be painful.

OIP.uIHn2JCcKVejdortzMzu0AHaHa

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I picked the habs in 5 on the mainboard when I meant 6. My rational brain says Vegas will win, but by emotional brain believes the habs can do it.

Here are Vegas' weaknesses:

1. They have some fast forwards, but they are not a skating team. They'll be relying a lot on dumping the puck. It will be key for Price to break the dump & chase and prevent Vegas from setting up their offense.
2. If the habs clog the neutral zone, Vegas will have trouble gaining the offensive zone. The habs need to be diligent here.
3. They don't have high end talent like Toronto or Colorado does. They have skilled guys, but not elite players. If Price plays like he did against Toronto, Vegas will have a hard time scoring even when they get chances.
4. They swarm the puck carrier. It'll be key for the habs to win those battles and cycle the puck to open players as a result

What they need to be careful about:
1. Counter attack. Vegas has D that can move the puck quickly. A turnover or bad offensive zone play can easily lead to an odd-man rush/breakaway with players like Tuch and Pacioretty.
2. Mark Stone: If Matthews gave Weber, Chairot, Petry and Edmundson a hard time with intercepting pucks and forcing turnovers, Mark Stone is at the next level. He's the best player in the league at doing this. They need to be aware at all times when he's on the ice.
3. Net front presence: Vegas will cause havoc in front of Price. Chiarot and Weber have struggled keeping track of loose pucks in the crease area this year.
4. Vegas cut the Avs speed game. The Habs relied heavily on the counter attack against the leafs and it was the main killer against the Jets. I don't think they will get those same opportunities, or at least way less, against Vegas.
Solid take, sir.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The crazy things about VGK is how they turn everything into gold. Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson were seen as non key players and here they are on one of the best second lines in the NHL, they show that your first center can be a serious two way player as long as your two other players are elite : Pacioretty and Stone. They both don't get enough credit but they are great on both sides on the ice.

The key of this matchup is to prevent the Dmen to take part to the offense in my opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->