Proposal: Bring in an unqualified RFA? Or 2?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So I know we have a few logjams in certain places in the organisation but I saw a few guys that are not unrestricted that jumped out at me. Interest would vary from person to person but just wanted to see what you guys thought?

Pirri, Brandon
Connolly, Brett
Tinordi, Jarred
Ferraro, Landon
Ortio, Joni
Shore, Drew
Bennett, Beau
Merrill, Jon
Smith-Pelly, Devante
Schultz, Justin

If we didn't qualify Sparks or have Bernier, I would have had some interest in Joni Ortio.

Outside of that, Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelly and Justin Schultz stood out to me.

Jon Merill maybe on a AHL deal, or 2-way contract.

Justin Schultz looked decent after departing from Edmonton for Pittsburgh but I think we may be outbid and I don't know if we neccessarily have a spot.

I thought once Smith-Pelly got a wake up call from being traded by Montreal he looked really good for New Jersey.

Thoughts?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So I know we have a few logjams in certain places in the organisation but I saw a few guys that are not unrestricted that jumped out at me. Interest would vary from person to person but just wanted to see what you guys thought?

Pirri, Brandon
Connolly, Brett
Tinordi, Jarred
Ferraro, Landon
Ortio, Joni
Shore, Drew
Bennett, Beau
Merrill, Jon
Smith-Pelly, Devante
Schultz, Justin

If we didn't qualify Sparks or have Bernier, I would have had some interest in Joni Ortio.

Outside of that, Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelly and Justin Schultz stood out to me.

Jon Merill maybe on a AHL deal, or 2-way contract.

Justin Schultz looked decent after departing from Edmonton for Pittsburgh but I think we may be outbid and I don't know if we neccessarily have a spot.

I thought once Smith-Pelly got a wake up call from being traded by Montreal he looked really good for New Jersey.

Thoughts?

Smith-Pelley would be about the only one I'd have interest in on a Parenteau show me deal.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Some of these guys will still sign on with their teams, we won't know for sure which ones are available until July 1.

Some interesting names though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If they weren't qualified they are UFA.

Teams can still work out deals before July 1. Allegedly the Devils are working on deals for the three that weren't given QOs; It'd be especially bizarre to trade a pick for Beau Bennett only to dump him two days later. Devils beat writer pointed out that the Devils did something similar with Andy Greene back in 2009. I also recall the Devils not giving a 660K QO to Johnny Oduya after his first contract but instead signed him to a two year deal at 600K.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I'd only sign Pirri for the Leafs, he's actually a solid NHLer and young. Bring back Leivo.

I'd only be willing to sign Bennett if he's on the Marlies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd be interested in Schultz. He looked very good in Pittsburgh and provides us another RHD option without giving up assets or tying too much cap.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I'd be interested in Schultz. He looked very good in Pittsburgh and provides us another RHD option without giving up assets or tying too much cap.

Plus he's also played with Gardiner during their time in Wisconsin. I dunno why but I feel like Babcock's a miracle worker..

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
I'd like us to pick up DSP for sure. I think he can be a serviceable bottom 6/PK guy who can also nab us a pick come deadline time.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I guess it depends on whether we sign Stamkos or not, but I would not mind one of Smith-Pelley or Pirri.

DSP can add some grit and offense to our bottom 6 basically being another Leo Komarov. I also like the offense that Pirri could bring. paring him with Kadri or Nylander would give him some playmakers to finish their filthy feeds. Pirri sort of reminds me of a poor man's Mike Hoffman, excellent shot but is more of a finisher opposed to a more complete player.

I also would not mind giving Justin Schultz a chance. Unless the Leafs have a player in mind to trade for who can fill into the Top 4 I could see Babcock giving Schultz bottom pairing minutes but also being given time with his old defense partner from college, Jake Gardiner.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
I guess it depends on whether we sign Stamkos or not, but I would not mind one of Smith-Pelley or Pirri.

DSP can add some grit and offense to our bottom 6 basically being another Leo Komarov. I also like the offense that Pirri could bring. paring him with Kadri or Nylander would give him some playmakers to finish their filthy feeds. Pirri sort of reminds me of a poor man's Mike Hoffman, excellent shot but is more of a finisher opposed to a more complete player.

I also would not mind giving Justin Schultz a chance. Unless the Leafs have a player in mind to trade for who can fill into the Top 4 I could see Babcock giving Schultz bottom pairing minutes but also being given time with his old defense partner from college, Jake Gardiner.

Didn't you just post this EXACT same thing in another thread?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nah, I prefer my players to be qualified for their job :sarcasm:

More seriously, I'm not sure we have room, especially at forward. Maybe can sign someone like Merrill if he gets to July 1st

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
On a serious note, I'd look at Pirri, Smith-Pelley, Schultz, Bennett, Ferraro, and Shore.

Can't bring them all in but those are names I could see Lou having interest in.

Of the group the most likely signing would be Smith-Pelley.

If Babcock can put the polish back on his game, that's someone that fits extremely well with the Shanaplan.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Were fairly crowded up front, and none of those guys interest me.

I gotta admit J.Schultz is a little tempting. RHD whose still fairly young, looked a lot better with PITT.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Until some of the logjam is cleared, I'd be hard pressed to offer any deals out there .. The Leafs have their own prospects making a push for a roster spot already and that's not including other questions marks like Michalek, Lupul, Greening, and now Holland in the mix.

I'd maybe look at an ATO later in the summer if they remained unsigned and give them a look in camp without committing them to a contract.

Not sure if any of those d-men are better than what the Leafs already have as well ... A similar ATO type deal might be worthwhile.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
DSP, Pirri, Bennet, Merrill will be signed for sure, would love to see the leafs take a swing

tons of maybes too, definitely too early to think about this

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Schultz is definitely tempting. His performance with the Pens shows that he is, in fact, an NHL D-man. Maybe not top 4, but he is good enough to play. He also gelled with Gardner in the past and is young with (hopefully) room to grow. Also, if we sign Stamkos, we'll need cheaper D options if we're looking to add. Defenders are going for a huge price this summer from what I'm hearing. He would be a nice and cheap option.

Smith-Pelly - I like him, but what is going on with him? The Habs didn't want him and then he went to Jersey and performed very well and they don't want him either? It's not like Jersey is cash-strapped or have a logjam of forwards. I don't get why this happened. Lockerroom stuff? I'm seeing a red flag over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->