Bring Back TMac!

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Ok boys, we’ve got a big enough sample size of games now to see that TMac actually has a better record this season than Hitchcock.

It’s obvious that TMac was Special Pete’s scapegoat to try to save his own arse. Obviously that didn’t work and Hitch having a worse record proves that TMac wasn’t the problem.

We are paying TMac $3 mil for 2 or 3 more years, why not pull a Randy Carlyle and bring him back (for free, we’re already payin) and see if he can shake up the room.

TMac is the only coach to get us into the playoffs in the last 12 years. He’s the only coach that we have won a playoff round with since 2006.

He would come in with a chip on his shoulder and tune in the boys and show them that they didn’t get to just run a coach out without repercussions. This could be what we need to get our top guys to actually play a complete game and come back on D. If that happens we start winning games and grab the wildcard that is sitting on a platter for us.

Hitch is not coming back next year so why not maximize a frozen asset and bring ol Todd back for one more kick at the cat? GOILERS

Reactions: Ramrod

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's obvious this problem is one of roster construction and not coaching.

I do not know if TMac would come back but I do know that having a coach who rides in on his white horse exclaiming how he will get them to places they haven't been before and can only get there with his help then after 2 months of poor play berates them non stop in the media to the point where he was told to cease and desist by his superiors, is now regularly sitting in the stands for full practices, has a WHL coach on the bench to smooth his messaging, and was rumoured to be quitting on the team after a bad stretch, is not what this team needs.

Hiring Hitchcock was the ultimate panic move by a GM who was desperate to save his job. The Hitch effect worked for a dozen games largely on the back of solid goaltending by Koskinen but you can only beat a dead horse so long.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hitchcock/TMac inability to get anything out of the roster obviously indicates that the biggest issues are the roster and not the coach.

That being said, I think TMac is completely average and not an answer. I doubt he wants to coach here again anyway. Lets improve the roster and find a coach that can motivate and adapt.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why don't we actually get some good people in here rather than remembering fondly the failures who are slight better than our current failures?

It's like the 'Lowe and MacT were better GMs thatn chia lets bring em back!'

We have a terrible roster and a terrible organization, no coach is going to do well with this lot. It is so terrible that despite having the best payer in the league and another very high end player we still stink.

Forget coaching, forget the next GM. Cut out ALL the rot above or things will not change.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Hmm.. well I wouldn't want TMac as the coach going forward, but if it's to replace Hitchcock for the remainder of the season, to try and salvage the very small window they still have, I'd take him back for the remainder. What a story that would be, if he came back and the team got hot and squeaked into the wildcard.

But obviously that would never happen. It would be embarrassing for the new coach to resign, and hire the coach that just got fired, only to release him again at season's end.

Rather have a younger, hungry coach, even a brand new NHL coach, with modern tactics and personality. But in the off-season. Just give the reigns to Gully for the remainder of this season.
Todd Nelson is getting alot of credit in Dallas, the same team that Hitch coached out of the playoff picture just last season, is now well into top 3 in the division.
Look at Chicago and St.Louis, new NHL head coaches, took some time to adjust, and now they're 2 of the hottest teams in the league.
Todd did what no coach could do in 11 years, in making the playoffs, making him the best coach we've had since 2006, but his time is served. I think the stat is 4 years now, when an NHL coach's system expires with the team, and the message gets stale

We need a fresh face

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad