Bright Side

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not hurting the team if the goal is to build a contender, not win now.
And Hextall's refusal to trade ANY assets for veterans (other than Mrazek and that was desperation) is strong evidence.
In that case, as long as he thinks Hakstol is doing a good job of developing young players the way he wants (look at his draft picks, emphasis on hockey IQ and two way play, not pure offensive skills) he'll keep him around.

When Hextall decides this team is ready to win NOW, you'll know:
1) Hakstol will have to win or else, i.e., advance in the playoffs.
2) Hextall will start trading draft picks and second tier prospects to fill holes

I said before the season I think that year is 2019-20. Still believe that.
This is a transition season, only thing that will get Hakstol fired is a collapse.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
giphy.gif

:D

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Just going to leave this here, things get F'D up around the 2:20 mark lol

For the record, I was searching for the season opener ceremony from last night (NBC didn't show it on my end) and this came up

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Just going to leave this here, things get F'D up around the 2:20 mark lol

For the record, I was searching for the season opener ceremony from last night (NBC didn't show it on my end) and this came up

Know what? f*** it. If that's how the song ends, it will still be the best tune in town. I'd be shocked, but not mad, not at all.

Reactions: Bruckuss

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't know if winning is the same as losing if the team plays the same way. Yeah we Do have to horses to beat a bad team like ottowa just not a good one like san jose that way. I have to start asking questions like are the veterans tired of Hextalls building phase? Has hakstoll lost the room? These guys know what hak wants at this point are they unwilling or incapable? It was the veterans who lead the way in not backchecking something the coach emphasizes so if he doesn't have his best performers who does he have? Hak did pull out of the 10 game skid last year and that told me they were committed to his style but if they're ignoring him whats that say?

Btw i loved ken Hitchcock who is currently retired but he was a huge student of the game and a great teacher of it. He also understood the psychology of the room really well. Plus given the guts he had in net i definitely vote genius coach over hot goaltender.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hakstol lost the team, it would have shown after the 10 game winless streak last year, instead they followed by being one of the hottest teams in the league after that (and no, the stars weren't the reason, they were producing during the first 26 games when the team struggled).

People are jumping to conclusions after 4 games? (of course, it's ok if you're trashing a scapegoat or the coach, but not a favorite :huh: )

Team looked good against what is right now a bad Vegas team, hung in there in Colorado, blown out by San Jose, beat a bad Ottawa team on the road. In other words, what you'd expect from a marginal playoff team starting the season with a struggling goaltender.

These things tend to work their way out, either AMac picks it up or he gets sent down, Sanheim gets more consistent and his PT goes up or not, and so on. Weal gets another shot due to Patrick's injury, fail and we probably never see him again. Elliott either steps up or Pickard becomes the de facto #1, at least until Neuvirth and/or Lyon are healthy.

Hextall has more assets for trades and options in LHV this year, I don't see him making a major move, but I can see him making a few minor moves to tweak the roster if they continue to struggle.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If Hakstol lost the team, it would have shown after the 10 game winless streak last year, instead they followed by being one of the hottest teams in the league after that (and no, the stars weren't the reason, they were producing during the first 26 games when the team struggled).

People are jumping to conclusions after 4 games? (of course, it's ok if you're trashing a scapegoat or the coach, but not a favorite :huh: )

Team looked good against what is right now a bad Vegas team, hung in there in Colorado, blown out by San Jose, beat a bad Ottawa team on the road. In other words, what you'd expect from a marginal playoff team starting the season with a struggling goaltender.

These things tend to work their way out, either AMac picks it up or he gets sent down, Sanheim gets more consistent and his PT goes up or not, and so on. Weal gets another shot due to Patrick's injury, fail and we probably never see him again. Elliott either steps up or Pickard becomes the de facto #1, at least until Neuvirth and/or Lyon are healthy.

Hextall has more assets for trades and options in LHV this year, I don't see him making a major move, but I can see him making a few minor moves to tweak the roster if they continue to struggle.

I said hak had the teams confidence then the question os does he have it now. We're fresh out of camp where we'd expect to see young players struggle with a new system and veterans comfortable with it but shaking off the rust of a long summer. A slow start was sort of expected but for different reasons. What I'm seeing are veteran players who seem uncommited. One of haks strengths is his ability to develop and relate to young players but what about the guys at the top of the roster? Sure they're solid pros and will come to work every day but after this long do they still see hak as the guy who's going to win Them a Stanley cup? With the transition phase nearly complete can hak make the transition. Alot of coaching is systems and adjustments but theres some of it more akin to baseball management. Handling people and personalities.

Take his handling of tk last year. Tk is a very good young player extremely fast and an important part of the teams future. Early on he wasn't doing great but well enough so hak bumped him into a more offensive role where he could better utilize his skillset. Tks confidence grew. Then hak became overconfident in a young player and tried to have him carry his own line. Misjudgments like that add up over time and the team can lose faith in a coach. Nhl coaching tenures tend to be short and while im willing to allow a certain grace this isn't a fringe playoff team this is a team i expect to Win a round or two and if they underperform the coach is the easiest thing to change

Reactions: Ruck Over

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You only know what a player is capable of when you challenge them.
So it's a fine line between protecting them by putting them into a position to succeed and challenging them, getting them out of their comfort zone.

We're in an in-between situation, we're not a bad team where young players can play without pressure (no one cares if you're on Ottawa, you're expected to lose), and we're not a top team with great depth where prospects are stashed and then slowly worked into the lineup.

Since much of the Flyer depth is young players, they have to play major roles, but since this is a potential playoff team, there is more pressure and less patience. Vorobyev is a little over his head right now, but there's no way to protect him with Patrick out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad