Bright Side

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Did he? Or did Ovechkin suddenly decide to play a complete game for a month?
What adjustments did he actually make, other than have Holtby come back and play well? It helps when your goalie puts up a .922 S% over 22 games.
Of course it also helps to have Kuznetsov, who was MIA in the 2015-16 playoffs at 23, have a dominant playoff at age 25 - experience matters
Totally the players that finally all bought in. Not just scoring points.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Judging from what I've seen so far that may not be the case. Despite losing a franchise player they look far far better than last season. They actually have a solid structure and that's entirely due to coaching.
Islanders will improve forsure. Fun team to watch to.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I am sorry I am not understanding WHY we needed to start the season getting embarassed considering we ended the season that way. Our coach has failed to adapt the game to challenge our opponent. That has been evident since the Capitals series.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hex let Manning, Flip and VDV walk, he demoted Weise. He's shown that he's aware of the dross and knows how to get rid, but he's kept MacDonald on the roster.

There has to be a reason for this. I can only imagine that he's an absolute golden god in the dressing room and makes a huge difference to roster morale. That in itself is entirely unquantifiable and isn't something that we as fans would appreciate. The only other option (as evidenced by Lehtera) is that he's feeling he can't bury such salary in the minors. It's highly likely however that both players will go upon expiry.

Hell, it's unlikely but this is the Bright Side thread.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I am sorry I am not understanding WHY we needed to start the season getting embarassed considering we ended the season that way. Our coach has failed to adapt the game to challenge our opponent. That has been evident since the Capitals series.
Cause it's our destiny. We suffer for... no reason.

Reactions: Ruck Over

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Cause it's our destiny. We suffer for... no reason.

Laviolette was fired 3 games into the season. THREE! Hitchcock was fired what 8 games into the season.

Two coaches with proven results were let go that quickly but this guy, this unproven guy doesn't get canned?!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Or Washington just got lucky this time and hadn't been before. I would argue they beat 4 better teams in successive series. My opinion of Trotz is exactly the same as it was 2 years ago. Good then, good now. Probably not great.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
giphy.gif
images3.jpg

Last edited:

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Laviolette was fired 3 games into the season. THREE! Hitchcock was fired what 8 games into the season.

Two coaches with proven results were let go that quickly but this guy, this unproven guy doesn't get canned?!
Well, if things won't improve, I believe it's his last season.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm ready for another 10 game losing streak. Surely even Hextall wouldn't accept that happening again.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
On the bright side, points don't matter in October.
I know this is a joke, but I hate that mentality.

Talking on the subway with my buddy after the debacle last night, missing points in October is why the Flyers need to go on hot streaks in March & April in order to secure a playoff spot on the last day of the regular season. This isn't the time to panic, and the season is not lost, but the two points are as valuable now as they are later. All points matter. Harumph

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Judging from what I've seen so far that may not be the case. Despite losing a franchise player they look far far better than last season. They actually have a solid structure and that's entirely due to coaching.
You mean pond hockey wasn't an actual tactic destined for success?

Edit-
To be pedantic, he didn't demote Weise. He just waived him, but he's still on the roster.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
It was amusing at the player introductions that they name the injured guys, Big Sam steps right up onto the bench near the edge, then they announce Weise and he tries to hide in the tunnel (someone actually boo'd him, not me, ha!), they call JVR and he comes out and stands next to Sam, pop from the crowd, but then when they announce Folin, Neuvy, and Knight, cause Weise wouldn't really come out, they get road blocked and have to basically just stand in the hall way and shift uneasy for the camera to find them. So amusing, f***ing Weise... chode.

Last edited:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Theu could have a 20 game losing streak and Hexy wouldn’t fire Hackstool, it’s his guy and Hexy can’t admit when he f***ed up, he’s always has to be the smartest guy in the room, we’re 5 years into the Hexy era and yes he drafts well but the team’s slogan can’t be “wait until next year” or “at least we’re not the Oilers” I wouldn’t give a cotton picking f*** if all the roomies replaced the shitty vets on the team then I could actually believe in next year and not just hear it

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm ready for another 10 game losing streak. Surely even Hextall wouldn't accept that happening again.

I'm hoping for an 11 game losing streak. We made the playoffs with 10, so that would be Hak's primary argument to stay and Hexy would fall for it. 11 is a different ballpark.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I'm hoping for an 11 game losing streak. We made the playoffs with 10, so that would be Hak's primary argument to stay and Hexy would fall for it. 11 is a different ballpark.

What's sad is that this logic actually feels sound. Our GM is so enamored with this coach, a ten-game losing streak wouldn't make anyone confident he would fire him. Crazy

Reactions: FlyTimmo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On the bright side, points don't matter in October.

They don't count as much for a simple reason, if you need to make up points in February and March, and you can't do so, you're not a playoff caliber team in any case, so go for draft position. That is, if you can't win must win games to get into the playoffs, you're unlikely to win playoff games.

The first 20 games is your "shakeout" cruise, where you figure out what you got, and what you need.
The key is simply not to get buried before you get rolling.
A lot of teams start hot, then get exposed as the season goes along. It's a long season, the best teams tend to pick up steam as the year progresses.
It's how you finish the season that matters.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Penguins never scored in large part because Trotz's Caps dominated puck possession. We still lose with Holtby, because Holtby for all his skill, isn't good enough to single handedly compensate for Hakstol chasing a Hogg-MacDongle matchup against Sidney Crosby.

You've still failed to name a single adjustment Trotz made over previous seasons.
Other than a hot goalie, and a deeper team (added Smith-Pelly, Stephenson, Vrana, Chiasson) which allowed the bottom six to apply more pressure, what changes did Trotz make?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You've still failed to name a single adjustment Trotz made over previous seasons.
Other than a hot goalie, and a deeper team (added Smith-Pelly, Stephenson, Vrana, Chiasson) which allowed the bottom six to apply more pressure, what changes did Trotz make?

During the Penguins series they changed to isolate single Pens, pass around them, and set up high probability shots. I've pointed this out multiple times, because Hakstol has tried to emulate it and it appears to be the inspiration. I noticed it at the time because it was a departure for Trotz in the playoffs.

As for other adjustments, they're too numerous to count. Trotz tweaks the game plan for every single team to attack their weaknesses. That is good coaching. There are tons of little changes to how they play throughout the year.

We have never once tried to attack the opposition's weaknesses like Trotz or Sullivan do. Quite the opposite, Hakstol actually views our weak links as strengths and offers them up to be exploited as much as possible

Reactions: kelmitchell

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They don't count as much for a simple reason, if you need to make up points in February and March, and you can't do so, you're not a playoff caliber team in any case, so go for draft position. That is, if you can't win must win games to get into the playoffs, you're unlikely to win playoff games.

The first 20 games is your "shakeout" cruise, where you figure out what you got, and what you need.
A lot of teams start hot, then get exposed as the season goes along. It's a long season, the best teams tend to pick up steam as the year progresses.

Hakstol has elected to go with a nearly identical roster. If he needs 20 games to figure out 4 different players after camp and preseason to boot then he sucks.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

This is not how anything works. This is hockey pseudoculture manure of the highest order, completely without substance or point. I know we often disagree, but most of the time I can at least follow the logic. This is setting an arbitrary point where the results now matter because Titan is now on the other side of Saturn and your chakra went yellow.

Hot teams tend to win in the playoffs because they're hot, not because the truth has finally been revealed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->