News Article: Bright Eyes: The Athletic's Player/Person of the Year

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure if it's been posted, but here's a really nice piece on Chef (and the first and last para for free, courtesy of JUK):

On the first Saturday of December 2017, it was a good day to be Mark Scheifele. For the first time since the Winnipeg Jets relocated to Manitoba from Atlanta in 2011, they held down first place in the NHL’s Western Conference – and were tied in points atop the NHL standings with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“Hockey Night in Canada,” the program Scheifele watched religiously as a child growing up in Kitchener, Ont., was in town, serendipitously choosing this weekend to feature Winnipeg on its weekly Hometown Hockey segment. Practice was optional that day, which gave Scheifele extra time to go out to The Forks, a popular gathering place, where the Red and Assiniboine rivers meet and “Hockey Night” was taping a fan segment. By January, the rivers have usually frozen over to create the Red River Mutual Trail, which according to the Guinness Book of World Records, is the world’s longest natural skating trail.

[Read the rest at the link]

Mark Scheifele: An all-consuming passion for hockey

Last edited by a moderator:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
How come this got no attention at all? It's such a nice read. And the part in which Hawerchuk talks about Scheifele coming to the Colts and talking about how he would fit "in nicely right behind Burmistrov" kind of blew my mind when it made me remember that Scheifele and Burmistrov played on the Colts together and for one season, Burmistrov was considered the "upcoming NHL player" as a top-10 pick while Scheifele was a weird hockey nerd that might end up being a success :laugh: How things can change

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
How come this got no attention at all? It's such a nice read. And the part in which Hawerchuk talks about Scheifele coming to the Colts and talking about how he would fit "in nicely right behind Burmistrov" kind of blew my mind when it made me remember that Scheifele and Burmistrov played on the Colts together and for one season, Burmistrov was considered the "upcoming NHL player" as a top-10 pick while Scheifele was a weird hockey nerd that might end up being a success :laugh: How things can change

It is a nice read -- and, to quote A Christmas Story -- it's a major award!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice read! Scheif is a beauty and the ride has been pretty fun since draft day. Even though he delayed our gratification in some ways it has made his ascension into the top 10 of scoring and the upper echelon of NHL Stars even more gratifying. He had pedigree but he has willed himself to the top. Hell of a draft pick to start a new franchise in retrospect.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Scheif and Burmi never played together on the Colts. Come to think of it, there never was much overlap with those two even on the Jets.

Looks like a good read, I've been considering an Athletic subscription. For those who subscribe: worth it?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Scheif and Burmi never played together on the Colts. Come to think of it, there never was much overlap with those two even on the Jets.

Looks like a good read, I've been considering an Athletic subscription. For those who subscribe: worth it?

I think it is, for the (especially small-market) sports fan who's interested in details, decent-to-very good writing, and who isn't already a subscriber to any of the sports bibles. I share my sub with my dad, and tend to binge-read once a week or so. Not sure I'll renew, but it's been enjoyable so far.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Yeah you're right. They didn't actually played together since Burmistrov was gone right away (thanks ASG).

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
My favourite part of the article was when Hawerchuk refuted the ridiculous yet prevalent notion that he made the pick for the Jets: “They only ever called me once about him and it was maybe two days before the draft”

Also, it should be noted that Schiefele is the Athlete of the Year: Winnipeg Edition

I've been enjoying myself. As someone who's basically a Jets fan only it's like a short, well-written and researched weekly magazine of Jets content, and by a varied selection of authors, too.

If your taste in sports is more diversified (especially among teams in other 'The Athletic markets') then you should get even more value from it.

It's definitely not like the hastily written yet abundant content that a newspaper would provide and I find that the instances of interesting nuggets like the Hawerchuk quote above seem to be more prevalent.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Scheifele may be the single biggest reason this team is successful right now.

Lots of other great contributions (better Buff, goaltending, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, etc. etc. etc) but what Scheifele does kind of trancends it all. He's the epitome of what hard work, dedication and passion can get you - he is the very definition of what the organization wants the Jets to be.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Scheifele may be the single biggest reason this team is successful right now.

Lots of other great contributions (better Buff, goaltending, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, etc. etc. etc) but what Scheifele does kind of trancends it all. He's the epitome of what hard work, dedication and passion can get you - he is the very definition of what the organization wants the Jets to be.

Hey don't you forget Wheeler now... :p:

I agree with you Jet, I just add Wheels as right up there with Scheif as the 1-2 real drivers of this team this year. On and off the ice, could you ask for anything better? we are so lucky to have these guys imo.

Reactions: Jet

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
This is also why in hindsight (tho I never advocated in trading them) I am so glad we didn't trade off guys like Wheeler and Little. The fact that we have been able to supplement/build around them by drafting Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor is incredible. Not to mention we still have guys like Roslovic, Vesalainen as top forward picks who can hopefully make an impact in the coming years when these vets taper off a bit. Having the vets we do now as contributing players is exactly what Chevy and co. had to be hoping for through those building years.

Imagine this team without Blake Wheeler? no, I'd rather not...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->