Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
And I believe JHS was on a 1 year qualifying offer, so safe to say he's not getting qualified next year....wonder what that means for his NHL (if any) possibilities, you'd figure someone takes a chance on him in training camp. Disappointed the kid couldn't figure it out, frustrating because he has so much skill, but clearly Islanders, Lou, Barry, etc aren't buying it....

The timing of this with Islanders scoring drought is suspicious. I wonder JHS started chirping again about how he can provide much needed offense. But next to Lorito trade, you wonder if Lorito was a bad apple, too.

I see this as a way for Blues to evaluate JHS and decide if they want him, and for Lou to get rid of Snow's mistakes.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If they wanted to demote JHS, they would have sent him to their ECHL affiliation. The fact that he's sent to another AHL team and absolutely NO coverage on the soundtigers's site means something else.

JHS will be a 100 point player in the AHL...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The timing of this with Islanders scoring drought is suspicious. I wonder JHS started chirping again about how he can provide much needed offense. But next to Lorito trade, you wonder if Lorito was a bad apple, too.

I see this as a way for Blues to evaluate JHS and decide if they want him, and for Lou to get rid of Snow's mistakes.
I also see this as a chance for JHS to play well and hopefully increase his trade value.
Be great if San Antonio makes the playoffs and JHS gets postseason action.

Reactions: NC 1972

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I also see this as a chance for JHS to play well and hopefully increase his trade value.
Be great if San Antonio makes the playoffs and JHS gets postseason action.
good point. maybe BP is stocked with RW's and in SA, he will get much more time?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
good point. maybe BP is stocked with RW's and in SA, he will get much more time?
Sound Tigers are last in their division and not gonna come close to making the playoffs.
Hard to believe they cannot find icetime for JHS ( 10 pts in 16 games), but can for rws Lorito,Schlkey and McDonald.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I see this as a case of the Islanders not trying to be spiteful to Ho-Sang and giving him a chance to help himself. The Sound Tigers are not making the playoffs. Ho-Sang was loaned to a team that sits 1 point outside of a playoff spot. It's clear the Islanders weren't going to offer him another contract this summer so this was a kind of "no hard feelings, go light it up someplace else and see if you can resurrect your career".

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sound Tigers are last in their division and not gonna come close to making the playoffs.
Hard to believe they cannot find icetime for JHS ( 10 pts in 16 games), but can for rws Lorito,Schlkey and McDonald.

Lorito is outta here...

But aside from what the plan is with JHS, it's a lost season for BPort and there's no reason for the team not to use this opportunity to up the ice time for the Wahlstroms and Holmstroms (not to mention guys in other positions like Jobst, Carpenter, maybe Durandeau, etc.) of the world and get a look at a kid like Pierog.

In addition, MacDonald and Bernier are both on the right side and playing, no?

I think Ladd has had some time on that side this season as well.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Saw the Bridgeport Hartford game this past Saturday.

Wahlstrom was a cut above the rest (at least for Bridgeport). He’s got top six skill and is an elusive skater, but seemed weak on his skates and along the boards.

At his size, he can’t afford to be an Eberle “soft spot” type guy, in order to max out his potential he needs to learn how to win puck battles consistently and get stronger overall. I think he’ll be a full time NHLer in max two years and can at least be a 20 goal scorer and be an above average zone entry guy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Wahlstrom was a cut above the rest (at least for Bridgeport). He’s got top six skill and is an elusive skater, but seemed weak on his skates and along the boards.

At his size, he can’t afford to be an Eberle “soft spot” type guy, in order to max out his potential he needs to learn how to win puck battles consistently and get stronger overall. I think he’ll be a full time NHLer in max two years and can at least be a 20 goal scorer and be an above average zone entry guy.
Wahlstrom still looks like a high school kid. He needs to get his man strength.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I see this as a case of the Islanders not trying to be spiteful to Ho-Sang and giving him a chance to help himself. The Sound Tigers are not making the playoffs. Ho-Sang was loaned to a team that sits 1 point outside of a playoff spot. It's clear the Islanders weren't going to offer him another contract this summer so this was a kind of "no hard feelings, go light it up someplace else and see if you can resurrect your career".
If that's how it went down, then loads of credit go to those that made the decision.

Considering how JHS interacted with organization, it's not something I would've expected.

Hopefully that gesture is a sign of good karma in the future.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008

if you have not heard arthur staples interview with ho sang on his no sleep to Belmont podcast I suggest you do. To me it wasn’t what he said but how he said it made me immediately say he was never going to be an islander.

give it a listen ho sang just seems like a weird guy to deal with.

Reactions: Big L

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If they wanted to demote JHS, they would have sent him to their ECHL affiliation. The fact that he's sent to another AHL team and absolutely NO coverage on the soundtigers's site means something else.

JHS will be a 100 point player in the AHL...

A season or a career? Or at Call of Duty?

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If that's how it went down, then loads of credit go to those that made the decision.

Considering how JHS interacted with organization, it's not something I would've expected.

If Lou wanted to be spiteful he would have let Ho-Sang sit at home all season instead of letting him rejoin the Sound Tigers in January.

Reactions: buud

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

At this juncture, we need to hope that he does real well for the mini-Blues and perhaps allows us to get another late-rounder for him this summer.

Reactions: buud

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Lou wanted to be spiteful he would have let Ho-Sang sit at home all season instead of letting him rejoin the Sound Tigers in January.

He could also qualify him and then send him to the ECHL or something.

Reactions: MJF

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
if you have not heard arthur staples interview with ho sang on his no sleep to Belmont podcast I suggest you do. To me it wasn’t what he said but how he said it made me immediately say he was never going to be an islander.

give it a listen ho sang just seems like a weird guy to deal with.
I heard it when it came out. He said he asked for a trade a year ago, way before this years camp. Parrish made the great point that once you ask for a trade, you’re not fully committed. He definitely came across as a weird dude IMO. It’s JHS himself that’s the issue, not the Isles. If he can straighten his head out then maybe he can find success.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Whalstrom reminds me of Max Pacs. Both elusive skaters, wicked shots, skilled stickhandlers. Pacs has a bit of a ‘soft, floater’ streak to him.

If only Whalstrom could one day (soon) produce like Max. I wanted Lou to bring him in as a backup to losing JT.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Is anyone watching the game? Checked in online and saw there was a fight 11 sec in and now game is showing delayed? Did a bad injury occur as a result of fight?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Is anyone watching the game? Checked in online and saw there was a fight 11 sec in and now game is showing delayed? Did a bad injury occur as a result of fight?

"The game got off to a sluggish start when Cedric Lacroix, in his Sound Tigers debut, dropped the gloves against Jamie Devane just 11 seconds after the opening faceoff. Devane got the best of the Bridgeport newcomer in a violent affair that left Lacroix cut, and blood pooled onto the ice in several locations, leading to a delay of more than 20 minutes."

Devane has a pretty good reputation

So much for the trade with Charlotte. Guess the Org was looking for someone to protect the kids? Doesn't sound like it worked out well.

At least Wahlstrom scored again.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Saw the clip, Devane could have stopped it himself earlier, refs too slow to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad