Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think they're going to give him another year. He hasn't had a lot of talent to work with. Anyone who has had the rosters he's had probably wouldn't have fared much better.
It's completely fair, he's also gotten a lot of praise from players and people before. I think he's talented with the defensive side of things but also hasn't gotten real AHL talent up front that much. Now he has multiple players that are very talented at the AHL level.

Three guys over 72 games that can put up 60 points or more, easy in Lorito, Bourque and Sislo. Tanner Fritz too actually.

If you're not expecting an AHL cup win idk what to tell you.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
It's completely fair, he's also gotten a lot of praise from players and people before. I think he's talented with the defensive side of things but also hasn't gotten real AHL talent up front that much. Now he has multiple players that are very talented at the AHL level.

Three guys over 72 games that can put up 60 points or more, easy in Lorito, Bourque and Sislo. Tanner Fritz too actually.

If you're not expecting an AHL cup win idk what to tell you.
I am skeptical of his ability to develop talent

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am skeptical of his ability to develop talent
Strome did well down there, Nelson, Niedereitter, Cizikas, Pulock... Dal Colle no and Ho-Sang is iffy that's a hard one to judge. And he got a lot out of what he had. Guys like Fritz and Quine got looks because they performed well for him.

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I blame him for dal colle busting

I know, right?

I can't believe he hasn't gotten that one-tool kid to the Island within the 2 seasons he's been playing pro hockey.

Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, Fritz... Cizikas, Martin, Hamonic, de Haan, Strome before them... I mean all those kids were all bonafide blue chippers who didn't need any developing and just spent time in the AHL as a courtesy to the franchise.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think development is really much more about the players, barring some rather ridiculous errors like playing Nino in the NHL in 11-12, and Bailey in the NHL in 9-10 and possibly 10-11 (he should've returned to jr at least 1 year).

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I know, right?

I can't believe he hasn't gotten that one-tool kid to the Island within the 2 seasons he's been playing pro hockey.

Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, Fritz... Cizikas, Martin, Hamonic, de Haan, Strome before them... I mean all those kids were all bonafide blue chippers who didn't need any developing and just spent time in the AHL as a courtesy to the franchise.
Kabanov nino petrov hosang are all tearing up the league for the islanders right now too and strome sucked ever since he was sent down during that first season at Barclays

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I know, right?

This is not a very compelling list of "developed" players - pretty sure almost all of the above players didn't reach their full potential

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lorito - Fritz - Bellows
C. Bourque - St. Denis - Sislo
Dal Colle - Stevens - Easnor
Johnston - Holmstrom - Bernier
R. Bourque - Jones - Koivula
Hitchcock
Toews - Burroughs
Vande Sompel - Rathgeb
Wotherspoon - Aho
Hegleson - Quenneville

Gibson
Smith
Soderstrom
Damn. That second line is a first line on any other AHL team. Bernier also is a 25 goal scorer at the A level too, would think he's on the third line. I wish the A had more buzz for me to read up on these guys but I think I have to be right in thinking this is the top team no?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is not a very compelling list of "developed" players - pretty sure almost all of the above players didn't reach their full potential

I'd say that any coach in the AHL who has worked with kids coming raw out of the CHL or college who then find their way to either a full-time or part-time job in the NHL has fulfilled no less than the minimum requirement for maintaining his job at the AHL level.

What an AHL coach is NOT there for is to add a 20-year old kid and mold him into a super star scorer at the NHL level. If an AHL coach achieves that, then he's gone far above and beyond what can reasonably be expected of him.

Alas, if that happens, then said player was probably going make an NHL impact even without that particular coach. But he plays a role in the player's development one way or another.

At the end of the day, an AHL coach is there to run a professional team and work with these kids on the rigors of being a professional athlete and grinding out a longggg 80+ game season successfully.

I think Thompson enjoys a good reputation among coaches in the AHL ranks, especially when it comes to general player development. And I think he's been given some direct guidelines in recent years on how he's supposed to be treating particularly Ho-Sang and Dal Colle.

We also can't deny that he's been given a heck of a LOT of "ECHL product" to work with in recent years.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Damn. That second line is a first line on any other AHL team. Bernier also is a 25 goal scorer at the A level too, would think he's on the third line. I wish the A had more buzz for me to read up on these guys but I think I have to be right in thinking this is the top team no?

Hard to say.

When I look a the line-up, I have a number of thoughts.

Gotta think Gibson and Soderstrom are the planned duo for the Sound Tigers. I sure hope so. But Smith has a whole lot of AHL experience while Gillam is a younger pro who is likely there to be tested in the ECHL. But he can start writing his own story.

Don't know if the later two are definitely planned for the ECHL, but it'd be disappointing if Soderstrom can't outplay them and hopefully Gibson as well.

I'm really liking the construction of the blueline. Not so much because I think it's going to dominate or be particularly competitive overall, but rather because the team is actually featuring 6 of our own draft picks, all of whom have NHL possibilities.

Then there's UFA addition Rathgeb who is an unwritten book for us at the moment, but for all we know may be a legitimate NHL prospect after what he's achieved in the NLA, which basically is one of the most respected leagues on the planet (particularly from a financial standpoint). Then there's Helgeson, who is now the tough AHL vet for the squad, a big bruiser who helps with development.

In any case, this is how a team should be doing things. The AHL team should be full of its own prospects. And we have reason to believe that Toews and Aho will be pushing the organization to have them on the Island, not in Connecticut. Even if they'd both be on the Island at the same time for any reason, the team could still throw out six solid options, even if it's currently a bit questionable whether Quenneville is ready. He'd certainly seem ready from an offensive standpoint, but he's the one guy I'm thinking may have to spend time in Worcester.

I think it's nice that Mueller and MacKinnon will vy for a spot from the ECHL.

The forward ranks are, from an AHL vantage point, pretty stacked. It's incredibly important that C. Bourque, Lorito, and Sislo were added to the attack while Bernier was retained. You want these type of guys surrounding your youngsters. Speaking of which, unlike the defense, it looks Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, and Koivula are the only self-drafted players who will likely be down on the farm. Of course, Fritz, St. Denis, Johnston, Stevens, and Eansor also have contracts with the Isles, although Johnston may be on the Island the whole time right from the get-go.

I'm personally hoping that Hitchcock will be this year's Eansor, perhaps even better. He's a smart player and compliments well.

Alas, the most important thing is that our own draft picks are in a position to succeed. That's what I'm hoping so see and I want our boys to take the bulls by the horns.

As such, what Bellows and Koivula do will be the most important to follow. I'm hoping Ho-Sang forces his way onto the Island. Dal Colle is - until further notice - a bit of a lost cause. This year is make or break it for him - at least as part of the NYI organization. But for Bellows and Koivula, the AHL will be a big step and I see it presenting both with certain challenges. We should perhaps temper our expectations a bit, even if it's easy to think that both should be chipping in 35+ points this year one way or the other.

Interestingly, there were only two players in the AHL last season who even had 70 points and Chris Terry's 71 led the league (albeit in just 62 games). But I look at this team above and see potential for 4+ Dmen to have 25+ points and 10 forwards to have 30+ points, even if the top scorer may only have 45-55 points overall. That's a balanced attack.

In recent years, that kind of offense has been what Calder Cup winners have brought to the table. Bridgeport has had some rough experiences the past few seasons, but there were always a handful of games where they didn't score and quite a few more where they scored twice or less.

Gotta think this team above just has too many weapons to not be scoring 3+ goals per game a good 60 times this season.

Reactions: Wanderson

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hard to say.

When I look a the line-up, I have a number of thoughts.

Gotta think Gibson and Soderstrom are the planned duo for the Sound Tigers. I sure hope so. But Smith has a whole lot of AHL experience while Gillam is a younger pro who is likely there to be tested in the ECHL. But he can start writing his own story.

Don't know if the later two are definitely planned for the ECHL, but it'd be disappointing if Soderstrom can't outplay them and hopefully Gibson as well.

I'm really liking the construction of the blueline. Not so much because I think it's going to dominate or be particularly competitive overall, but rather because the team is actually featuring 6 of our own draft picks, all of whom have NHL possibilities.

Then there's UFA addition Rathgeb who is an unwritten book for us at the moment, but for all we know may be a legitimate NHL prospect after what he's achieved in the NLA, which basically is one of the most respected leagues on the planet (particularly from a financial standpoint). Then there's Helgeson, who is now the tough AHL vet for the squad, a big bruiser who helps with development.

In any case, this is how a team should be doing things. The AHL team should be full of its own prospects. And we have reason to believe that Toews and Aho will be pushing the organization to have them on the Island, not in Connecticut. Even if they'd both be on the Island at the same time for any reason, the team could still throw out six solid options, even if it's currently a bit questionable whether Quenneville is ready. He'd certainly seem ready from an offensive standpoint, but he's the one guy I'm thinking may have to spend time in Worcester.

I think it's nice that Mueller and MacKinnon will vy for a spot from the ECHL.

The forward ranks are, from an AHL vantage point, pretty stacked. It's incredibly important that C. Bourque, Lorito, and Sislo were added to the attack while Bernier was retained. You want these type of guys surrounding your youngsters. Speaking of which, unlike the defense, it looks Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, and Koivula are the only self-drafted players who will likely be down on the farm. Of course, Fritz, St. Denis, Johnston, Stevens, and Eansor also have contracts with the Isles, although Johnston may be on the Island the whole time right from the get-go.

I'm personally hoping that Hitchcock will be this year's Eansor, perhaps even better. He's a smart player and compliments well.

Alas, the most important thing is that our own draft picks are in a position to succeed. That's what I'm hoping so see and I want our boys to take the bulls by the horns.

As such, what Bellows and Koivula do will be the most important to follow. I'm hoping Ho-Sang forces his way onto the Island. Dal Colle is - until further notice - a bit of a lost cause. This year is make or break it for him - at least as part of the NYI organization. But for Bellows and Koivula, the AHL will be a big step and I see it presenting both with certain challenges. We should perhaps temper our expectations a bit, even if it's easy to think that both should be chipping in 35+ points this year one way or the other.

Interestingly, there were only two players in the AHL last season who even had 70 points and Chris Terry's 71 led the league (albeit in just 62 games). But I look at this team above and see potential for 4+ Dmen to have 25+ points and 10 forwards to have 30+ points, even if the top scorer may only have 45-55 points overall. That's a balanced attack.

In recent years, that kind of offense has been what Calder Cup winners have brought to the table. Bridgeport has had some rough experiences the past few seasons, but there were always a handful of games where they didn't score and quite a few more where they scored twice or less.

Gotta think this team above just has too many weapons to not be scoring 3+ goals per game a good 60 times this season.
I agree with your analysis, balanced too in terms of different styles and players for PK and PP. I think if Fritz is there the entire season, between him, Borque, Lorito and Sislo we can have four guys over 50 points and I think that's low end.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I agree with your analysis, balanced too in terms of different styles and players for PK and PP. I think if Fritz is there the entire season, between him, Borque, Lorito and Sislo we can have four guys over 50 points and I think that's low end.

The team is too thin up the middle -
I am really curious to see how this team will line up this season. There are 17 F's that all can make the roster.

Line #1 -
Lorito - Fritz - Ho-Sang (Sislo)
* If Ho-Sang makes the team, then Sislo can move into that slot.

Line #2 -
Bellows - St. Denis - Sislo (Bernier)
* If Sislo moves up to replace Ho-Sang on the top line, then Bernier can slide in here. If Bellows is the prospect we all think he is, then he should be able to handle a top 6 role in his first season.

Line #3 -
C. Bourque - Easnor - Bernier (Dal Colle or Koivula)
If Ho-Sang makes the team, then I could see Koivula or Dal Colle move into a battle for that spot

Line #4 -
Johnston - Jones - Koivula
A Hardworking and tough line and with Martin on the Isles - I just don't see Johnston making the NHL roster. you can see Holmstrom on RW here too.

Line #5 - (Extra Line)
Dal Colle - B. Holmstrom - R. Bourque
*Ryan Bourque is listed as a C too, so he can be option over if Coach feels Holmstrom should play with Jones and Johnston. I have only seen Bourque as a LW though. A fifth line could be regularly rotated in - Line 3, 4, 5 on regular rotation from night to night.

If Ho-Sang makes the NHL roster then Holmstrom, Johnston, Jones, Bourque would be on a rotation for playing time.

*I see Hitchcock - Stevens - Gaudreau needing to start in the ECHL as the top line in Missouri.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am really curious to see how this team will line up this season. There are 17 F's that all can make the roster.

Line #1 -

Line #2 -
* If Sislo moves up to replace Ho-Sang on the top line, then Bernier can slide in here. If Bellows is the prospect we all think he is, then he should be able to handle a top 6 role in his first season.

Line #3 -
If Ho-Sang makes the team, then I could see Koivula or Dal Colle move into a battle for that spot

Line #4 -
A Hardworking and tough line and with Martin on the Isles - I just don't see Johnston making the NHL roster. you can see Holmstrom on RW here too.

Line #5 - (Extra Line)
*Ryan Bourque is listed as a C too, so he can be option over if Coach feels Holmstrom should play with Jones and Johnston. I have only seen Bourque as a LW though. A fifth line could be regularly rotated in - Line 3, 4, 5 on regular rotation from night to night.

If Ho-Sang makes the NHL roster then Holmstrom, Johnston, Jones, Bourque would be on a rotation for playing time.

*I see Hitchcock - Stevens - Gaudreau needing to start in the ECHL as the top line in Missouri.

The most established player on the team is Chris Bourque.

He's not only a proven high-flight AHL scorer, but also coming off a showing at the Olympics.

Ryan Bourque was one of Bridgeport's top players last season (34 points, +10).

I'm mentioning this, because both of these guys are scheduled for a top 9 role and Chris Bourque may be the biggest fish in the group.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The most established player on the team is Chris Bourque.

He's not only a proven high-flight AHL scorer, but also coming off a showing at the Olympics.

Ryan Bourque was one of Bridgeport's top players last season (34 points, +10).

I'm mentioning this, because both of these guys are scheduled for a top 9 role and Chris Bourque may be the biggest fish in the group.

Are you suggesting Bourque should be moved up to the Top Line or the top two lines?
All these vets are simply putting the squeeze on youngsters like Bellows and Koivula.

My original attempt was to strike a balance with the top 9. And I understand that someone like Chris Bourque needs to be in the line up every night.

Taking your suggestion, here is how they would line up:
Bourque - St. Denis - Sislo (Bernier)

Bottom 6 -
Bellows - Easnor - Bernier (Dal Colle or Koivula)
R. Johnston - B. Holmstrom - R. Bourque

Extra F's or 5th Line -
Dal Colle - Jones - Koivula

Look better?

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The PP
Lorito - Fritz - Bernier -Aho-Ho-Sang
Bourque - St.Denis - Bellows - Sislo - Vande Sompel

Also potential players on PP - Rathgeb, Dal colle, Easnor, and Koivula

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Are you suggesting Bourque should be moved up to the Top Line or the top two lines?
All these vets are simply putting the squeeze on youngsters like Bellows and Koivula.

Taking your suggestion, here is how they would line up:
Bourque - St. Denis - Sislo (Bernier)

Bottom 6 -
Bellows - Easnor - Bernier (Dal Colle or Koivula)
R. Johnston - B. Holmstrom - R. Bourque

Extra F's or 5th Line -
Dal Colle - Jones - Koivula

Look better?

I think in the nature of development, each of Bellows, Dal Colle, and Koivula will be somewhat spoon-fed playing time. They are not in CT to "earn" a spot, particularly Dal Colle, although the competition for retaining a spot looks better than it has for a while now.

If Koivula isn't playing, he'd be in Finland. No reason for him not to be taking a regular shift back in Liiga if the team somehow feels he shouldn't be doing so in the AHL.

If Bellow isn't ready, I think they'd be more inclined to place him back in juniors, but they want this kid sniping sooner rather than later.

And where is Stevens in the scenario above? I wouldn't necessarily have any of the Jones or Holmstroms ahead of him on the totem pole. This is now his make-or-break season.

Now, what role which vets will play, I do not know. There are good handful now, but I think Chris Borque is gettting the biggest role of the group and maybe even playing with his brother.

I do think the team will attempt to place one of our prospects with two established AHLers/pros. There would be a certain logic to it.

Just some thoughts...

Reactions: Wanderson

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Line #1 -

Line #2 -

Line #3 -

Line #4 -

Line #5 - (Extra Line)

It's not that bad up the middle, Fritz has shown to be very effective at center in the A, St. Denis is a skilled playmaker for that level. I think it's fair to say they're stronger on the wings but I don't know if it's weak up the middle. There's a lot of grit and talent so I'm curious to see how they handle the workload and how to get more penalty killers in the lineup over talented players.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think in the nature of development, each of Bellows, Dal Colle, and Koivula will be somewhat spoon-fed playing time. They are not in CT to "earn" a spot, particularly Dal Colle, although the competition for retaining a spot looks better than it has for a while now.

If Koivula isn't playing, he'd be in Finland. No reason for him not to be taking a regular shift back in Liiga if the team somehow feels he shouldn't be doing so in the AHL.

If Bellow isn't ready, I think they'd be more inclined to place him back in juniors, but they want this kid sniping sooner rather than later.

And where is Stevens in the scenario above? I wouldn't necessarily have any of the Jones or Holmstroms ahead of him on the totem pole. This is now his make-or-break season.

Now, what role which vets will play, I do not know. There are good handful now, but I think Chris Borque is gettting the biggest role of the group and maybe even playing with his brother.

I do think the team will attempt to place one of our prospects with two established AHLers/pros. There would be a certain logic to it.

Just some thoughts...

Your thoughts are always well-received and appreciated.

• In the original post, I have Stevens and Hitchcock as casualties to the roster crunch and starting the season in the ECHL.
  • Ben Holmstrom will have a C on his sweater like he has the last 2 seasons, so I see him as a regular on the bottom 6.
  • As for Connor Jones, he was resigned and brought back - he looks to be the 13th, 14th F on this club.
  • The logic here seems to have a ton of competition at camp not only with the big club, but at CT as well. There are 17 Forwards who you can make a case to be in the lineup.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Your thoughts are always well-received and appreciated.

• In the original post, I have Stevens and Hitchcock as casualties to the roster crunch and starting the season in the ECHL.
  • Ben Holmstrom will have a C on his sweater like he has the last 2 seasons, so I see him as a regular on the bottom 6.
  • As for Connor Jones, he was resigned and brought back - he looks to be the 13th, 14th F on this club.

Then it really will be interesting to see who ultimately is on the outside looking in when all is said and done. Thompson will definitely have a lot more options than he's been used to.

• The logic here seems to have a ton of competition at camp not only with the big club, but at CT as well. There are 17 Forwards who you can make a case to be in the lineup.

Indeed. Good point. And a good philosophy.

Glad to see the organization going in exactly this direction. Love having the competition and it usually allows for the true cream to rise to the top.

All in all, it will be good for our prospects. Sink or swim.

With that in mind, maybe it's premature of me to think that a spot will be etched out for Bellows, Koivula, and to an extent Dal Colle and Ho-Sang right from the get-go.

In any case, this looks like a team that is primed for playoff action, especially if Soderstrom proves to be the real deal. Heck, if all goes right, it could also be one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For the price of a nice steak dinner, you can watch ALL AHL games on their new, improved, streaming service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->