Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
A potential Dave Scatchard type? Remember him? I'd be down for that.

Ironically that description fits Joel Otto of the 1980’s Calgary Flames. Comparable to a healthy Handzus in yoday’s NHL. He was often used against Messier of the Oilers. Like Koivula, was less pugilistic than Scatchard.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
A potential Dave Scatchard type? Remember him? I'd be down for that.

I remember him every day when I see my Scatchard jersey in my walk in closet. Right next to my isles hat I had on for the shawn bates penalty shot playoff game.

I wouldn't really compare the two. Otto is way bigger and stronger. A far more skilled C with slick mits and a great wrist shot. Scatchard was a pure grinder who always had this half ass mini slapper.

Reactions: PWJunior

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Koivula never played in juniors?
Sure he did, twice, 11 games 0+2. Had to check, if I remember him from U18, but no, he was at WJC 16-17 and 17-18.

But way to go Otto, I'll gladly eat crow on this one, hope he turns out to be NHLer.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I was at the Sound tigers game last night in Rochester. I thought the stand out players were Aho and to a lesser extent Koivula. Koivula is a big big big boy. I was very impressed with him at center knowing he has only just started playing there. Bellows had some nice touches but didn't notice him that much.

I'm excited for Koivula. If he continues to learn he could definitely play centre in the NHL. Would be great to suddenly have another centre option to help out in the NHL next season.

Overall a real entertaining game.

Reactions: seafoam and SI90

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
A little OT, but I noticed former Soundtiger Carter Verhaege (sp?) is 5th overall in AHL points. He always seemed a decent prospect when with the Isles organization but was somewhat inexplicably traded for that Lativan goalie who never played. Perhaps we should have stuck with him?

Reactions: dood

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
A little OT, but I noticed former Soundtiger Carter Verhaege (sp?) is 5th overall in AHL points. He always seemed a decent prospect when with the Isles organization but was somewhat inexplicably traded for that Lativan goalie who never played. Perhaps we should have stuck with him?
I remember when he was traded I am pretty sure I wrote that this was a mistake(as I go to a few Sound Tigers games every year). If Tampa wasn't so stocked I am sure he would have received a call-up by now.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I think that was the year Gibson was out all year with a knee injury and BPT needed a second goalie that wasn’t ECHL fodder like Eamon McAdam or Stephon Williams.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
2 seasons from now.....

MDC - Barzel - Wahlstrom
Bellows - Douchene - Ho sang
Bailey - otto - Lee
Rus J - CC - Komarov

leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho - Wilde

Lehner / Sorokin

#CUPS

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
2 seasons from now.....

MDC - Barzel - Wahlstrom
Bellows - *****ene - Ho sang
Bailey - otto - Lee
Rus J - CC - Komarov

leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho - Wilde

Lehner / Sorokin

#CUPS
This the line-up in 2 seasons? I don't think so. And who is *****ene?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
2 seasons from now.....

MDC - Barzel - Wahlstrom
Bellows - *****ene - Ho sang
Bailey - otto - Lee
Rus J - CC - Komarov

leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho - Wilde

Lehner / Sorokin

#CUPS

Where's Beauvillier?

That top line is too slow -
Beauvillier >Dal Colle

Lee is a 30 goal scorer On the third line
Should play with Duchene and Bailey.

Make a new kid line with Otto in pivot

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Does anyone have Koivula’s faceoff %? AHL stats are not very in depth.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Getting ahead of myself here, but here is a quick glance at new arrivals and players under contract next season-

Lorito - Koivula - Wahlstrom
Bellows - St.Denis - Bernier
Golyshev - Hitchcock - Eansor
Durandeau - Stevens -
* assuming at least 3 AHL vets will sign - Probably the Bourques and Ben Holmstrom

Wotherspoon - Aho
Vande Sompel - Rathgeb
Helgeson - Burroughs
Quenneville
*assmuning AHL vet like Casto get re upped

?
Soderstrom

This is assuming Dal Colle and Ho-Sang replace Eberle and Kuhnackl's spot in the lineup (they both will have to pass waivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->