Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It is not his walk year - ELC runs out, but he is an RFA isles can very easily qualify him
Bottom line is he is ending his 4th pro season and the Islanders probably want to decide if he has a role in the NHL with them or not.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
JHS is so similar to Barzal, in that his goals to assists ratio is so low. They both need to shoot more. Also, JHS should be a center, passing obviously is his forte. Great to see Dal Colle finally seem to be getting it, Bellows starting to heat up and Koivula with 2-1-3 last two games, his first professional points. Toews days in the AHL may be numbered, he's so good offensively from the back end.
I made that point last season and got massacred for it.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
JHS is so similar to Barzal, in that his goals to assists ratio is so low. They both need to shoot more. Also, JHS should be a center, passing obviously is his forte. Great to see Dal Colle finally seem to be getting it, Bellows starting to heat up and Koivula with 2-1-3 last two games, his first professional points. Toews days in the AHL may be numbered, he's so good offensively from the back end.

Ho sang would need to improve tremendously defensively to play center but yes his skill set as offensive player fits as a center I don’t think he ever will play center though. I always thought because of his skating and stick skills ho sang should be given shot to kill penalties also which could help his defensive game. I think a guy to watch as possible bottom six player is St Denis he can play a bit, has edge to him even though he is small and can really skate. I could see him as cluterbuck type in NHL or perhaps upside of a Gallagher type.

Reactions: SI

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I also think all the vets Lou added has had a direct effect on our prospects. Chris Bourque has been a top player in Ahl and you see a lot on ice and on bench him talking to JHS, MDC and Bellows about what just happened on the last shift. The only issue now is the goaltending, they haven’t gotten much this year so hopefully that improves and if it does they are a Calder cup contender for sure.

Reactions: xECK29x

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I still didn't think MDC was that brutal when he had the small stint with us. As his first foray in the NHL, it wasn't remarkable by any means, but I could see some good decisions being made, albeit not at speed.

I'd like to see him up again, but only if injuries call for it.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I still didn't think MDC was that brutal when he had the small stint with us. As his first foray in the NHL, it wasn't remarkable by any means, but I could see some good decisions being made, albeit not at speed.

I'd like to see him up again, but only if injuries call for it.
I thought the coaches probably told him to K.I.S.S. and he tried to play mistake free,avoid turnovers.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I thought the coaches probably told him to K.I.S.S. and he tried to play mistake free,avoid turnovers.
Yeah, pretty much any rookies job his first dip in the NHL pool. I saw confidence growing in him and he made a couple good moves to come off the boards and get the puck into a shooting position. He was just a little slow and lacked strength. As he has matured he's probably found smarter ways to overcome some of his weaknesses as well as made them less weak. Takes time for some guys. Basically I hadn't really counted him out completely as I still saw some potential. We'll see what happens.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Don't look now...

Ho-Sang: 1-14-15 in 13 games
Dal Colle: 7-7-14 in 11 games
ToewS: 3-9-12 in 13 games

When JHS got himself back in the news a couple weeks ago a lot of Isles fans finally got to the point of put up or shut up with him. Glad to see he's starting to put his money where his mouth is.

And Dal Colle? It's a developmental league but it is refreshing to see. 100% of the rest of the league wrote him off and at least 75% of Isles fans. His newfound AHL success may still never trasnlsate to the pros, but some players just take more time to put it all together. Excited to see how he and the rest of the kids progress as the seaosn goes on. Would love to see all these guys on the big club at some point this season.
If Beau can play centre, I think actually MDC would play well with him. MDC had success with fast skating forwards on his lines before as he need their speed to compensate for his average speed. If he can play more physical now, I think he, Beau & whoever else can play well defensively on that line can make a good line. Of course I am talking about next year unless a major trade or injury happens. Not too thrill about sending Beau down. I think he will work his game out through hard work.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Yep, and he did that well. I had commented that he certainly didn't hurt the team and could be a bottom 6 guy if needed.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Sorry to interrupt everyone's MDC love fest. While I admit I am surprised at his success thus far in the AHL, his progress and slow foot speed are still far below what one would hope for with a top 5 draft pick. Perhaps he will make a place for himself in a bottom 6 role. The likelihood of him solidifying a future top 6 rule remains highly unlikely in my opinion.

Isn't this exactly what everyone wanted in the off season? Specifically, weren't we looking for him to show some flashes so that we could package him perhaps with Brocktober for a solid 2nd pairing defenseman or #2C? This is a perfect example of an opportunity to sell high. You can't have it both ways. (Cashing in on the upside of a prospect while also repeating the benefits of his future potential.)

Reactions: SI

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Sorry to interrupt everyone's MDC love fest. While I admit I am surprised at his success thus far in the AHL, his progress and slow foot speed are still far below what one would hope for with a top 5 draft pick. Perhaps he will make a place for himself in a bottom 6 role. The likelihood of him solidifying a future top 6 rule remains highly unlikely in my opinion.

Isn't this exactly what everyone wanted in the off season? Specifically, weren't we looking for him to show some flashes so that we could package him perhaps with Brocktober for a solid 2nd pairing defenseman or #2C? This is a perfect example of an opportunity to sell high. You can't have it both ways. (Cashing in on the upside of a prospect while also repeating the benefits of his future potential.)
I think that’s MDC upside as a third liner but also can play on power play and in good year score 15-20. I see him as replacement for Ladd on this roster. He has soft hands and seeing him enough I don’t think the skating is as big an issue as it’s made out to be as I think he might be better skater than Lee. In tight around net, circles down he has great skill which is what made him a top 5 pick.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
MDC looked really good with Barzal in preseason. He had like 4 shots in a single shift

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
MDC looked really good with Barzal in preseason. He had like 4 shots in a single shift

That's two more than Dal Colle had all of last season in the AHL, and four times as many shots as Barzal will have this season!

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
So MDC is repeating 6th grade for the 3rd time and finally gets a B and we should all rejoice. Got it!

it's more like repeating Junior year of high school and getting an A.
Also high school dropouts have become billionaires

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Last 15 #5 overall draft picks:
2004 Blake Wheeler
2005 Carey Price
2006 Phil Kessel
2007 Karl Azner
2008 Luke Schenn
2009 Brayden Schenn
2010 Nino
2011 Ryan Strome
2012 Morgan Reilly
2013 Elias Lindholm
2014 MDC
2015 Noah Hanfin
2016 Olli Juolevi
2017 Elias Pettersson
2018 Barrett Hayton

Dare I say more? Except for he Isles picks, most of these guys produced at an earlier age and at a much higher level than what MDS is doing even now.
I am glad he's starting to progress in the AHL. That's a a long way from a top 6 role in the NHL. Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and keep producing until the trade deadline. After that, I wish him well on his new team.

I hope the Isles don't wait any longer than that.
Sell him on the rumor. Let the others buy the news.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I think that’s MDC upside as a third liner but also can play on power play and in good year score 15-20. I see him as replacement for Ladd on this roster. He has soft hands and seeing him enough I don’t think the skating is as big an issue as it’s made out to be as I think he might be better skater than Lee. In tight around net, circles down he has great skill which is what made him a top 5 pick.

Opportunity is there. Can’t see Kuhnhackl being a long term option on that line.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bottom line is he is ending his 4th pro season and the Islanders probably want to decide if he has a role in the NHL with them or not.
If he is trending in the right direction why not qualify him - there is this narrative that he needs to play now in the NHL and that is simply not true.

There is no need to bring him up - let him keep developing and playing top 6 mins and PP time - he can build his value and by trade deadline maybe he can be used in a package.

If he is not used in a trade, then next season he pushes for a job and provides depth at low cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad