Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
PW thanks for the clarification.

I think having Wahlstrom in the AHL is the best route of development for him. He already has NHL size. The AHL plays 76 games. That will be better than the NCAA. Plus Ive never been a fan of BC coach Jerry York's coaching philosophy. Which is basically let the upperclassmen get more ice time. Wahlstrom would probably get shafted on the 3rd line. Places like Denver and North Dakota have been better at preparing prospects for the NHL.

Here's what AmericanDream had to say about Wahlstrom:

I have zero doubts he can make the NHL next year, especially if he was picked by the Hawks. The Isles are a bit different, they still have Bellows who you mentioned that is so freaking underrated on here to fit in their lineup. Plus Ho Sang as well, so doubtful they want to go with that much youth in one year.

Wahlstrom and his family have been big proponents to NCAA hockey, so for him I see him going 1 year and done just to see college life, it seems it has been a big priority for his family for him to go at least one year - doesn't mean if Big Lou says we want you to sign and play in the pros that he will say no. Bellows and his family came from the junior life/CHL, college was a path his buddies grew up more with than he did, so him jumping was the right call and likely a decision that wasn't too hard for him since there isn't much NCAA history in his family.

It will be interesting to see what happens with a number of these kids next year, but I imagine definitely one of Tkachuk, Hughes, and Wall-E make it to the NHL right away..

If what you say about Jerry York is true, I don't want another Bellows situation happening with 'Wall-E'. I think JTs decision and the direction of the team if he does leave really affects Wahlstrom.

If he intends to turn pro, he's going to have to sign his ELC to even attend training camp. Should be an interesting situation to monitor. I was okay with him going one and done at BC while Eberle is still with us this upcoming season. Things could change.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Here's what AmericanDream had to say about Wahlstrom:

If what you say about Jerry York is true, I don't want another Bellows situation happening with 'Wall-E'. I think JTs decision and the direction of the team if he does leave really affects Wahlstrom.

If he intends to turn pro, he's going to have to sign his ELC to even attend training camp. Should be an interesting situation to monitor. I was okay with him going one and done at BC while Eberle is still with us this upcoming season. Things could change.

when Bellows was at BU, that team was deeper in talent, Wall-E is coming to a team that has a bunch of openings and a younger core. there is a reason why he switched his commitment and picked them, they are giving him a top role there. and for Bellows, he was bad at BU, like ugly bad. I was down on Bellows for a year, he just didn't look good there or at the WJC outside of the final 2 games...what Bellows did was step his game up, he worked harder in the off season and went to a place that utilized him better, but to be fair Bellows simply didn't deserve more ice time with how he played at BU.

Wall-E has to earn it as well, and that is a good thing, it teaches these kids no matter where drafted you have to work hard for your ice time just like he would in the AHL or NHL. Nothing is a given, but as long as Wall-E plays the way he did this year and continues to have the work ethic he does, he will be top 6 from day 1 at BC.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
No. As long as Wahlstrom doesn't play 10 games in the NHL, his ELC would slide this year and next.

AHL counts as professional experience.
If he played less than 10 and went to the CHL (Cape Breton owns his rights I believe) then it would slide. If he went to Bridgeport the clock starts.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't see anything on that post regarding his AHL time counting toward UFA status. AHL play is professional play.

For instance, Dal Colle has played 6 NHL games and has one year of RFA status left on his current contract.

Dal Colle's ELC slid twice and kicked in when he was 20 years old. At that point his ELC was going to kick in no matter what. Not the same thing as Wahlstrom.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Dal Colle's ELC slid twice and kicked in when he was 20 years old. At that point his ELC was going to kick in no matter what. Not the same thing as Wahlstrom.

Ah, you're right. Just found the CBA language about 18 and 19 year olds.
What a weird thing for the NHLPA to give away.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I have a feeling Wahlstrom might well be on our roster come October

I really hope not. Let the kid dominate college this year then come in hot next when we are more stable roster wise.

But please got let Linus Soderstrom be the goods. I'm praying we see two months of dominant AHL play then a call up and great goaltending from him the rest of the year.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
You must be thrilled, looking like Bridgeport won't be dog **** next year.

I am so far. Lorito and Sislo were on my wish list. I wouldn't mind if Casey Bailey gets to come back too. Either an AHL or two way deal.

Should be solid so far with:

Fritz
Lorito
Sislo
St. Denis
Bellows
Bernier
Dal Colle (maybe?)
Koivula
Stevens
Eansor
Hitchcock

Still room for at least two more 2 way NHL deals for veterans. Would take Ben Holmstrom back too.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I am so far. Lorito and Sislo were on my wish list. I wouldn't mind if Casey Bailey gets to come back too. Either an AHL or two way deal.

Should be solid so far with:

Fritz
Lorito
Sislo
St. Denis
Bellows
Bernier
Dal Colle (maybe?)
Koivula
Stevens
Eansor
Hitchcock

Still room for at least two more 2 way NHL deals for veterans. Would take Ben Holmstrom back too.

Bellows - Fritz - Sislo
Lorito - ????? - Bernier
Dal Colle - St. Denis - Easnor
Hitchcock - Stevens - Koivula
13th F - ????????
Vande Sompel - Burroughs
Wotherspoon - Aho
Helgeson - Rathgeb
?????? - Quenneville
Gibson
Soderstrom
McAdam

This is assuming Toews and Johnston are in NHL roster

Assuming a top 6 C, bottom 6 AHL, and a Vet D man still need to be signed.

Sending Quenneville To ECHL to play top minutes. McAdam and Soderstrom shuttle between ECHL and backing up Gibson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->