Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jeremy Smith had a very strong game today. This is my 4th time seeing him and he’s been fantastic.

One of my complaints about the Sound Tigers the last 2 seasons is they have not had consistent goaltending from game to game. Jeremy Smith can get the next start and just as easily lay an egg. It’s been the same for Christopher Gibson as well. Post a shutout today, give up 5 tomorrow.

Three games in a row though?

Reactions: MJF

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Ho-Sang and Otto looking real good. Aho also but Smith was amazing.
What an amazing and exciting game today.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ho-Sang and Otto looking real good. Aho also but Smith was amazing.
What an amazing and exciting game today.
Hosang may be a player that looks good in the AHL, but maybe won't get the top 6 mins needed in the NHL. I don't disagree he looked good today. But for me, from a NHL scout's view. I think Aho is the player that looks like he can play in the NHL right now. He was not perfect, but he seems most NHL ready. I know some disagreed with me. But Bellows looked good to me today. Maybe I had low expectations going in, but he looks to me like a NHL player one day. Skating is good enough to play in the NHL. Needs perhaps another AHL year. But he will not bust. I feel better about him after today.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The team won that game 4-0, BTW.
The game was kind of meh most of the way. A bit chippy in the 1st period, then the last 2 periods had several 1 and dones and turnovers at the blue line by both teams. 2 empty net goals made the score appear more lopsided than the game was. Jeremy Smith was solid when tested.

The Sound Tigers have a 4 point lead over 3rd place Hershey and trail first place Charlotte by 8 points with 12 games (including 2 with Charlotte at WBA) remaining.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A reporter asked Trotz that and he said it’s because Kuhnackl kills penalties and MDC hasn’t been on the PK yet.
Fair enough - at least there's a rationale behind it. I would have - or would be going forward - started MDC. Kuhnackl has really been a HTFG (Hold the Fort Guy) this year. Doesn't hurt you but doesn't really help you. But sometimes - especially in the short term - you need that guy in your lineup.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I actually have not minded Kuhnhackl at all. If there's still injuries, I'd rather much play him and MDC, and bench Ladd.

Yeah, I will not question a roster inclusion with Barry Trotz running this bench, he literally has forgotten more about hockey then we will collectively ever know. I don't understand some moves but you win as many NHL games as he has, I have nothing to offer.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ladd, Kuhnhackl, and MDC:
- Kuhnhackl is the most trusted in his own zone, mostly because blocks shots from the blueline, often in a most painful manner. He can play PK. He's hit or miss in the neutral and offensive zones. He loses lots of man-on-man battles. Shows very little offensive acumen.
- Ladd is the most savvy of the three, but clearly not in game shape and plays in a manner that is hard on the body. He takes few shots, despite that supposedly being his special weapon. Sadly, he takes dumb penalties and makes some very obvious turnovers. He also has trouble staying on his feet.
- MDC is very busy trying to show the defensive awareness that the staff has clearly asked of him. He does this fairly well. Otherwise, he presents very little offensive flair or danger. He never uses the wrist shot that, like Ladd, is supposed to be his biggest weapon. He is 50/50 on the boards and doesn't make optimal use of what have been some VERY promising attacks. He thinks the game too slow for this level. In addition, he loves to have just one hand on his stick and is very weak on the puck when engaging it with just the one hand on his stick.

So what's Trotz supposed to do here?

Especially when Beauvillier can't hit the net and is simply the streakiest player on the team to boot.

Reactions: dood and crasherino

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Add to that Beauvillier much like Eberle is too often physically overmatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad