Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2021-22: Playoffs Start May 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Bolduc has quite the shot, both wrist and slapper. For all the talent I've read from Wilde's scouting reports, Bolduc has leapfrogged him.

And that is probably a good thing. The Isles can use young, ready LHDs more than a RHD right now.

As soon as next year, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy (in the last season of his current contract)-Dobson
Either Salo or Bolduc (let them openly compete)-Mayfield

With a vet or two like Greene/Coburn to round out the depth chart.

Wilde missed a lot games and experience last season due to injury, let him get more time in the AHL. Maybe replacing Mayfield down the line.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
And that is probably a good thing. The Isles can use young, ready LHDs more than a RHD right now.

As soon as next year, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy (in the last season of his current contract)-Dobson
Either Salo or Bolduc (let them openly compete)-Mayfield

With a vet or two like Greene/Coburn to round out the depth chart.

Wilde missed a lot games and experience last season due to injury, let him get more time in the AHL. Maybe replacing Mayfield down the line.

I'd really like to upgrade on Leddy. He just isn't good enough consistently playing top-4 minutes. We've seen the void left by Toews.

Greene, yes, not Coburn.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'd really like to upgrade on Leddy. He just isn't good enough consistently playing top-4 minutes. We've seen the void left by Toews.

Greene, yes, not Coburn.

My guess:
The organization is THOROUGHLY counting on Leddy being here for one more year and then replaced directly by one of Bolduc or Salo.

Greene could easily sign on for another 1-year deal after this one.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Greene, yes, not Coburn.

Leddy vs Toews is an interesting debate. I still really like them both, but I think the combo of Leddy stepping up in the playoffs last year and Toews regressing a bit, especially when the games got physical pushed Trotz towards Leddy as the player he wanted to keep.

Then Toews filed for arbitration and was probably looking for a bit more term than the Isles wanted to give, preferring to eventually pay Pulock, Pelech and Dobson as the clear-cut, top-3 defensemen. It also probably didn't hurt that Toews was the more valuable trade chip.

Leddy vs. Mayfield is going to be a HUGE call, if it comes to it, for expansion. They both have their pluses and minuses. Mayfield is dirt cheap and a good option to play with a Salo or Bolduc on the third pairing next season. Leddy can be a serviceable, albeit not top LHD2 and, with another year of experience, I could see hi and Dobson meshing well.

I am glad that the Isles have more time to properly evaluate the players and make the (hopefully correct) call on expansion. It is going to be a tough call, glad it isn't me, lol.

But I would love to see at least one of Salo or Bolduc fill that LHD3 spot and run with it next season. I think one definitely will. Unfortunately, for better or worse, even if they both play great, I can't see Trotz and co. putting them both in the top-six, outside of the occasional injuries. At least not until late in 2022, if even that soon.

But, who know, maybe the youth surprises and forces their hand?

Of course, one of my ideal/dream scenarios is that Colorado has a tough time protecting all of their talent and, while they make a side deal to definitely protect Toews and and another player or two, maybe Ryan Graves gets claimed by Seattle?

From there, I wouldn't mind letting Seattle have Leddy, clearing his expiring $5.50 mm AAV, which Seattle can extend for less if they want to keep him around as their core or trade him for more draft picks, especially if they retain some salary.

Then trade one of the second rounders+, which the Isles got for Toews, for Graves and his $3.167 mm AAV cap hit. Graves could slot in very nicely alongside Dobson, while Salo and Bolduc battle it out to play with Mayfield.

Reactions: buud

scott99

May 13, 2005
Soundtigers playing some good hockey late in the season. It’s like they switched with the Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad