Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2021-22: Playoffs Start May 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Anyone seen Koivula play this year?

At 22 years old, you can't get by on potential much longer.

Things looked promising based on his play in Bridgeport 2 years ago. Now he's looking like a big disappointment.

Can it all be blamed on the lack of a supporting cast?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Anyone seen Koivula play this year?

At 22 years old, you can't get by on potential much longer.

Things looked promising based on his play in Bridgeport 2 years ago. Now he's looking like a big disappointment.

Can it all be blamed on the lack of a supporting cast?

He is likely going back to Europe in a year or two, I don't see an NHL regular there due to his skating and lack of hockey sense defensively. For such a big dude he doesn't play a power game at all, unless he decides to completely change his game up and embrace being a role player, I don't see an NHL future for him.

Reactions: Seph and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He is likely going back to Europe in a year or two, I don't see an NHL regular there due to his skating and lack of hockey sense defensively. For such a big dude he doesn't play a power game at all, unless he decides to completely change his game up and embrace being a role player, I don't see an NHL future for him.
I was trying to think of a way to describe Koivula’s play this year but you nailed it. I saw no juice in his play this year. No drive.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I was trying to think of a way to describe Koivula’s play this year but you nailed it. I saw no juice in his play this year. No drive.

At the beginning of this season some were wondering if we'd lose him in the expansion draft.

Pretty dramatic fall for him.

Reactions: MJF

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Why is Sound Tiger's record this bad this season? They got one Dman with -18 on the team, should they release him next season and they need to get rid of some of these bad contracts and try to land some undrafted young UFA players, bring over some of their Euro prospects, and play some of their better college prospects next season. The upcoming season draft better be a real successful one even though they will not have the 1st and 7th pick. They got find some gems in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Stop worry about drafting too many D prospects as I think they got enough or may be able to land one over trade. Go draft some good skating forwards with decent size and hands, and good hand eye co-ordinations. Also find a decent goalie prospect who can handle the puck well. They also need to hire a skating skill coach to work with the slower players in the minor between the weekend games.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Why is Sound Tiger's record this bad this season? They got one Dman with -18 on the team, should they release him next season and they need to get rid of some of these bad contracts and try to land some undrafted young UFA players, bring over some of their Euro prospects, and play some of their better college prospects next season. The upcoming season draft better be a real successful one even though they will not have the 1st and 7th pick. They got find some gems in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Stop worry about drafting too many D prospects as I think they got enough or may be able to land one over trade. Go draft some good skating forwards with decent size and hands, and good hand eye co-ordinations. Also find a decent goalie prospect who can handle the puck well. They also need to hire a skating skill coach to work with the slower players in the minor between the weekend games.

Draft picks over the next three years:
upload_2021-4-19_13-51-35.png

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Really bad goaltending from Jakub Skarek, and an overall lack of talent up front. With the exception of Otto Koivula and Simon Holmstrom who plays bigger than his listed 6'1" height, the forwards don't have a lot of size. They get rolled on a lot of the defensive breakdowns when the goals start going in by the bucketload.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Only 5 games left. I was hoping to see what Golyshev looked like in NA but doesn’t look like he’ll play this season. Did he sign a one year deal?

Edit: Just saw he was on his way here yesterday. Depending on quarantine rules, maybe he gets in a couple games?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->