Speculation: Brian Wilde just said assistants and Lefebvre gone

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mikael Lalancette, well connected in the Q, just said that he is predicting that Ducharme is gone from the Q and will not be back next year. Not that big of a news...anybody with a brain would name him in charge of a AHL team.

Everyone would go for Ducharme. Not sure what our idiots are thinking.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The average non-compete is approx. 2 years. Courts have restricted the ambit of these types of clauses in the last few years so as not to unduly prevent someone from earning a living. Plus, during the non-compete period, an individual such as Wilde with many years spent with the same employer, will have received a healthy severance package, allowing him to transition when his non-compete clause expires.

Sure, but if Bell wants to hire him, they aren’t going to invoke their own non compete. It’s all internal. It may even mitigate severance obligations if it wasn’t lump sum (I suspect it was).

I’ve seen non-competes for guys making $65K. Those certainly won’t stand up, especially in a severance situation. They make sense at the executive level. I’ve mostly seen them when someone is selling a small business, which makes sense. The geographic limits can be illogical though. I once saw someone asking for 100km on a Chinese restaurant.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sure, but if Bell wants to hire him, they aren’t going to invoke their own non compete. It’s all internal. It may even mitigate severance obligations if it wasn’t lump sum (I suspect it was).

I’ve seen non-competes for guys making $65K. Those certainly won’t stand up, especially in a severance situation. They make sense at the executive level. I’ve mostly seen them when someone is selling a small business, which makes sense. The geographic limits can be illogical though. I once saw someone asking for 100km on a Chinese restaurant.

I've seen what you've seen. I don't know what Wilde was making but I don't think he qualified as an executive.

I've seen instances where an employer tries to pay severance over a period of time but the employee is usually able to negotiate that to a lump sum.

But, as you mentioned, since it is within the same corporation, the non-compete wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I've seen what you've seen. I don't know what Wilde was making but I don't think he qualified as an executive.

I've seen instances where an employer tries to pay severance over a period of time but the employee is usually able to negotiate that to a lump sum.

But, as you mentioned, since it is within the same corporation, the non-compete wouldn't be an issue and in any case it's been almost two years since he was laid off, so it's probably academic.

A friend got canned who was making about $70K. I think they offered him about 3 months but part of his release included a two year non compete. I would love to see the employer try to justify that in court.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mikael Lalancette, well connected in the Q, just said that he is predicting that Ducharme is gone from the Q and will not be back next year. Not that big of a news...anybody with a brain would name him in charge of a AHL team.

Just last year, he was reportedly interviewed by Chicago to go coach in Rockford. So you know teams have their eye on him. Better be Habs that bring him in.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
A friend got canned who was making about $70K. I think they offered him about 3 months but part of his release included a two year non compete. I would love to see the employer try to justify that in court.

You can’t justify it, like you said that wouldn’t pass in court.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Sounds like your firend, if he was an executive, worked at his job less than 5 years.

Employers know they'll face an uphill battle if a non-compete is challenged by an employee, which is why they usually have a clause that in case the terms of the non-compete (or other restrictive clauses) are deemed unreasonable or over-reach, rather than having them declared null and void, they'll have their ambit reduced to the maximum allowable at law. Courts in Quebec tend to protect those who are the weakest contracting party and who signed a form agreement, so an employee definitely has an edge.

However, the employer also knows that the employee has the burden of the expense of a lawyer and court costs, to get the non-compete peeled back to a more reasonable duration -- and that will dissuade a lot of employees from taking action. Not to mention that if an employer terminates an employee without cause, then it would render it null and void.

And now that we've taken care of Wilde's potential non-issues, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It was always very strange to me that Julien did not (or was not allowed) bring in his own assistants last summer. Seems like it is the NHL convention that when a head coach is fired basically all the assistants are on notice they will be terminated and would have to re-apply with the new head coach to keep the job. Don't think I've ever seen a situation, especially with a vet like Julien, where he did not make changes.

Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It was always very strange to me that Julien did not (or was not allowed) bring in his own assistants last summer. Seems like it is the NHL convention that when a head coach is fired basically all the assistants are on notice they will be terminated and would have to re-apply with the new head coach to keep the job. Don't think I've ever seen a situation, especially with a vet like Julien, where he did not make changes.
Maybe the assistants he prefers aren't available?

I know Julien and Jarvis have long standing ties, but Jarvis is assistant coach in Vancouver I believe...

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Maybe the assistants he prefers aren't available?

I know Julien and Jarvis have long standing ties, but Jarvis is assistant coach in Vancouver I believe...
Christ now even assistant coaches aren’t available for Montreal, how are we ever going to build a contender when there’s never anything available except 7thD, 4th liners, and ex-Habs coaches

Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Christ now even assistant coaches aren’t available for Montreal, how are we ever going to build a contender when there’s never anything available except 7thD, 4th liners, and ex-Habs coaches
Well I know that in the past...Julien has worked extensively with;

Doug Jarvis (Canucks), Geoff Ward (Devils) & Doug Houda (Wings).

It's not like you're offering these guys higher positions, maybe some don't feel like uprooting their families for a lateral move?

Reactions: Runner77

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

"character"
"attitude"
"play the right way"

Habs top line next year

LW Character C Attitude RW Right Way

Jul 6, 2016
I would not be surprised if Lefebvre is promoted as d-men coach with the Habs.

And there is nothing wrong with it. He has done it in Colorado before, and he will have less responsabilities as an assistant coach that being a head coach.

Reactions: Vachon23

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That Melnick interview was so bad for Bergy that it's not even on TSN.ca anymore. Here's the link should want to listen to it, please delete if im breaking any rules :

Bergevin: Our attitude was wrong from day one

Yeah looks like it's gone when I visit the TSN690 page and go through yesterdays audio segments. All the regular segments from yesterday seem to still be there but Melnick's chat with MB isn't or I can't see it. I don't think I've ever seen an audio clip removed from the TSN690 page before.

I'd like to know why it was removed and who requested that it be removed. Ridiculous if it's indeed removed.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Yeah looks like it's gone when I visit the TSN690 page and go through yesterdays audio segments. All the regular segments from yesterday seem to still be there but Melnick's chat with MB isn't or I can't see it. I don't think I've ever seen an audio clip removed from the TSN690 page before.

I'd like to know why it was removed and who requested that it be removed. Ridiculous if it's indeed removed.

At the end of the clip Melnick says that they were asked to cut the interview short. They were promised that he'd be on for much longer but he was pulled when things started to get really heated. Because of this, I'm guessing the Habs did in fact ask them to remove the interview from the website.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
At the end of the clip Melnick says that they were asked to cut the interview short. They were promised that he'd be on for much longer but he was pulled when things started to get really heated. Because of this, I'm guessing the Habs did in fact ask them to remove the interview from the website.

Maybe but before the interview started I'm sure Melnick said that they only had MB on until 4:15 because of other commitments but the interview went a little past 4:15. I can take a guess why it was removed but I'd like to hear a confirmed reason.

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Actually, I remember Melnick saying that they were promised an interview up to 4:15, which is 15 minutes' worth as it started at the top of the hour.

Then, as Bergevin was defending a point where he was taking more time than anticipated and would have taken them over the allotted time, Melnick reminded him that they were going to go over and that it had to end at 4:15, upon which Bergevin agreed to stay until 4:20.

I don't remember a time when 690 removed an audio file like that so the longer the file is unavailable the more it lends credence to a belief that the file was pulled on purpose, especially if the station doesn't post a message on their site to explain why the file is unavailable.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
That Melnick interview was so bad for Bergy that it's not even on TSN.ca anymore. Here's the link should want to listen to it, please delete if im breaking any rules :

Bergevin: Our attitude was wrong from day one

Wait WTF! They actually pulled/removed the bergevin interview with Melnick? Habs PR department on FULL DAMAGE CONTROL! They might as well just put a muzzle on MB because there is literally nothing he can say that will make him sound intelligent at this point. Who ever compared the Habs to the KGB was bang on! It's just coverup after coverup. They must really take the fans for idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->