Waived: Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Craig Adams is Bylsma's Gilly.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Mtl, Pey Pey says for you to take your meds:

peyton-manning_pills1.jpg

You leave Peyton alone!!! Led an 85 yard TD drive with 6 minutes left in the game that should have won it. Team lost on what was essentially a hail mary with two young kids completely blowing their assignment in the secondary. Game should have ended right there...

Broncos should have taken their antler spray.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
On the other hand, the Isles are not known for their genius in signing players to contracts.

That was true in the past, but Snow has become a master of finding gems in the Waiver wire.

Moulson - Now a 3 time 30 goal scorer

Grabner - One time 30 goal scorer, looks amazing in his third year so far.

Nabakov - Didn't want to come here, eventually did, was rock solid for us, liked it and signed a 1 year deal.

Nielsen - His first contract was excellent value as he is a vital part of this team, his new contract is also very good.

MacDonald - A Strait like kind of guy who proved he was a smart and steady D-man, locked him up at a really cheap value.

This is without even mentioning the fair value contracts we've given our core players like Tavares, Okposo, Streit exc. exc.

Snow has long made up for the DP contract, his only other bad contract recently was Reasoner but it was a short contract anyways and nobody expected him to suck so bad. My only complaint with Snow is his weakness in the FA market and trades, but that is more because the reputation of our team makes it hard to do those things.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That was true in the past, but Snow has become a master of finding gems in the Waiver wire.

Moulson - Now a 3 time 30 goal scorer

Grabner - One time 30 goal scorer, looks amazing in his third year so far.

Nabakov - Didn't want to come here, eventually did, was rock solid for us, liked it and signed a 1 year deal.

Nielsen - His first contract was excellent value as he is a vital part of this team, his new contract is also very good.

MacDonald - A Strait like kind of guy who proved he was a smart and steady D-man, locked him up at a really cheap value.

This is without even mentioning the fair value contracts we've given our core players like Tavares, Okposo, Streit exc. exc.

Snow has long made up for the DP contract, his only other bad contract recently was Reasoner but it was a short contract anyways and nobody expected him to suck so bad. My only complaint with Snow is his weakness in the FA market and trades, but that is more because the reputation of our team makes it hard to do those things.

You guys did have the 'advantage' of being low in the standings for many years, so not only first opportunity at these guys but also spots open with little cost if they fail. The Pirates are like that and they go waiver claim dumpster diving every year hoping something sticks, and at times they get something out of it, most often not. You guys have had some good success there though. Moulson many of us would have liked to have back.

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
On the other hand, the Isles are not known for their genius in signing players to contracts.
Snow is pretty good at it. He signed Nielsen and MacDonald long before they had established any value, and went on to be two of the most underpaid players in the league. He has liked what he has seen in Strait, and got him signed before he tries asking for a bigger paycheck.

Plenty to get on Snow for, although most of it comes from ownership, but he only has one regrettable contract, and everyone knows that was Wang's idea.

Of course all this being said I would swap our roster for yours in a heartbeat.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Good for Brian, and **** you to our management team for letting an NHL defenseman go for absolutely NOTHING, a guy we could have kept to a cap friendly deal like the Isles just did.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Wow hurts even more now. All this for ****ing Ben Lovejoy that I have no ****ing idea what management or the coaching staff sees in him:shakehead

and the 3 years are 1 way. Good for Brian

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Don't worry, Bylsma and Shero have a plan. Restock the Islanders and buy them. Lets see Vitale, Jeffrey and Bortozzo in Brooklyn next year. Not Bylsma kind of guys. Meanwhile Martin, Orpik and Lovejoy with Adams, Tangradi and Kennedy up front. They are Bylsma kind of guys. Now I know why Mario is building his Montreal mansion. Mr Moorehouse it is Mario on line one....Hey Dave jus wantend to touch bases wid you. Any way we can get more of dem trackter pulls in the arena dere. I can get my friend Celine Dion to do a great show for da fans dere. Get back to me Dave and tell the team to play hard for me and Ron.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I still don't see the big deal.

I agree that keeping Strait over Lovejoy would have been the smarter decision, but at the same time, we have a ton of depth at the position, he probably wasn't in the future plans anyways.

Good for him on the contract, though. It's cool for any guy to make the NHL.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Wow hurts even more now. All this for ****ing Ben Lovejoy that I have no ****ing idea what management or the coaching staff sees in him:shakehead

and the 3 years are 1 way. Good for Brian
When Nisky comes off IR they are going to have to send someone packing now that they picked up Boychuk. Wouldn't it be funny if they put Lovejoy on waivers now after losing Strait for nothing?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If we'd kept Strait over Lovejoy then Strait would probably been in the pressbox as he's behind Despres and Bortuzzo in the queue.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When Nisky comes off IR they are going to have to send someone packing now that they picked up Boychuk. Wouldn't it be funny if they put Lovejoy on waivers now after losing Strait for nothing?

If by funny you mean an extremely welcome move that would have the entire board celebrating, then yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->