Brian Munz...

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The thing that always makes me turn off the radio are when they go to the callers during the post-game show.

I've never heard more idiotic people in all my life. They need to abolish the callers and just stick to talking about the game. Either that, or be harder on the callers like Jim Rome. Put more pressure on them to have a good call, and not be a bumbling idiot who really doesn't follow the Jets.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
The thing that always makes me turn off the radio are when they go to the callers during the post-game show.

I've never heard more idiotic people in all my life. They need to abolish the callers and just stick to talking about the game. Either that, or be harder on the callers like Jim Rome. Put more pressure on them to have a good call, and not be a bumbling idiot who really doesn't follow the Jets.

Geez, that's the best part! I look forward to the callers, don't need to hear Munz and his lackie rehash the game I just watched six ways from Sunday, along with the interview clips just aired on TSN Jets.

And where has Gregory gone (great caller)? Ralph is a constant, grizzled old school.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I guess if I could start laughing at the stupidity instead of becoming enraged by it, it would make it easier to listen to.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Maybe the first question Rick Ralph should ask all callers is: How much have you had to drink?

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Maybe the first question Rick Ralph should ask all callers is: How much have you had to drink?

The callers are for the most part witless and painful to listen to, but you probably can't afford to be Rome-like with the callers and ridicule them because of the tiny size of this market / radio audience. Ralphs probably doesn't get a super high volume of calls to begin with, so he can't afford to mock them or even screen them out before hand.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The callers are for the most part witless and painful to listen to, but you probably can't afford to be Rome-like with the callers and ridicule them because of the tiny size of this market / radio audience. Ralphs probably doesn't get a super high volume of calls to begin with, so he can't afford to mock them or even screen them out before hand.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. That's a tough job to have to sit there and not only listen to the callers but respond to them without calling our their stupidity.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I bet RR would be overjoyed if a dozen or so of us were to call in after every game and tie up the lines with well-reasoned analysis so that the drunkards and lunatics couldn't get through. :)

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
I guess if I could start laughing at the stupidity instead of becoming enraged by it, it would make it easier to listen to.

BINGO! Entertainment.

We have enough analysts on TV and radio who know their stuff, funny to hear others who think they do.

Ober

Sep 18, 2012
My favorite is when Munz says things like (last year)...

"Buff, over to wheeler, he's by the dman, right in. Shot! Score!!! Wellwood!".

Wellwood? Didn't even know he was on ice. See the highlights later, it was a 2on1 from the blue line in. Wheeler was passing it all the way. And wellwood scored a nice goal. But listening to the game, you would have no idea they had a play like that happening.

You have provided a near perfect example of how Munz "paints a picture with his words"...unclear and very little (accurate) detail.

When one watches a goal highlight after listening to his call it (honest to goodness) it rarely resembles what was described and heard.

The goal highlights that were played this morning on the Big Show of last nights Carolina/Winnipeg game were plain and simple...AWFUL! Anyone and everyone that heard how those goals were described and then subsequently were re-played over and over in the morning has to concur. AWFUL!!

This is not an individual preference issue...this is a situation that TSN1290 needs to address...and soon!

I want to start hearing the play being described...Buff at the point, passes to Wheeler in the corner, back to Buff, over to Enstrom, back to Buff, one timer, save, rebound, Kane over to Wheeler, baaaccckk to Buff, slapshot, rebound, Little SCORES!!

DESCRIBE THE PLAY...PAINT A PICTURE WITH WORDS!

(...yes I can honestly and certainly say I do not like what I hear from Munz)

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Picky fans in here.

Anyone longing for Keilback clearly has no further say in the matter. Keilback, while having an iconic voice, would be a distant fourth behind Moore, Beyak and Munz for play by play skills.

SELANNE......WITH IT NOW......HAS ZHAMNOV AT THE POINT, BACK TO SELANNE....HE...SEL.....HAAAA....SCOOOOOOORES!!!!!!!!! TKACHUK!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Two worst things a PBP guy on radio can do is be the colour man too (assuming he has a colour man, no problem when Paul Edmonds answers his own questions) and have dead air or time talking about stuff unrelated to the play going on. Munz does both and Irving does the former way too much on Bomber games.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Picky fans in here.

Anyone longing for Keilback clearly has no further say in the matter. Keilback, while having an iconic voice, would be a distant fourth behind Moore, Beyak and Munz for play by play skills.

SELANNE......WITH IT NOW......HAS ZHAMNOV AT THE POINT, BACK TO SELANNE....HE...SEL.....HAAAA....SCOOOOOOORES!!!!!!!!! TKACHUK!

Keilback had trouble keeping up with the play when he was covering the Coyotes, partly why he was shown the door, most Winnipeg Jets fans now don't even realize that Keilback was NO LONGER the voice of the Jets the year before they departed for the desert.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Keilback may have not been 100 % "on the play" at all times, and I can further understand how a listener from out of our market may not have appreciated Keilback's style the way Jet fans would have. But what shouldn't be an underestimated quality in broadcaster likability is charisma. Keilback just had it, like other beloved local announcers like Fred Cusack, Dan Kelly, Jack Buck, Jon Miller, etc. To my ears, guys like Kelly Moore Brian Munz just simply lack charisma and a unique style. Kelly Moore's broadcast voice is plain hard to listen to. I'll take personality/ charisma any day.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I moved here from Calgary in 1993 and I really didn't get it then and don't understand the Keiback love now? I think you had to grow up listening to him on the radio or something? when I arrived he was a legend (in Winnipeg) and I was looking forward to his game call and when I heard him I was suprised because there was really nothing special about him in my humble, never growing up as a kid listening to him on the radio, opinion. Not trying to rain on anyone's memories or anything but as an outsider he was your everyday average hockey commentator.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I grew up listening to Keilback, much of the games weren't available on tv. I had just the radio, Keilback had a certain familiar pattern to his play by play. You could feel tension build up towards a goal

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I didn't grow up with Keilback, and I had the privilege of hearing him call a game on NCI one night (MJHL, I think-- Selkirk vs Neepawa?). He's got the voice and the style, but it wasn't that easy to follow what was happening as he called the game.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I grew up listening to Ken Nicolson. Keilback was brought in as his colour guy when the Jets moved into the NHL and then Nicolson's poor health necessitated that they switch roles, which I believe happened when they moved to CKY from CJOB. Keilback had a good voice but little of Nicolson's personality, which wasn't always a bad thing. He did a good job and was much better than most of the guys today. Play-by-play is an art that is tough to master. It's much easier to chatter during the play, so that's what they often seem to do now.

With announcers, everything tends to be measured from the one you grew up with. Sort of like no baseball announcer sounds right unless it's Dave Van Horne and every baseball colour commentator seems like someone doing Duke Snider's job badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->