Brian Little moving forward

What should the Jets do with Brian Little?

• Total voters

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Are people suggesting Little was out of shape? Sure didn't look it against Vegas, I think he might have had more jump than anyone.

Maybe it's just a matter of learning what it takes to maintain a 30 year old body vs a 25 year old body. I think as players age they need to focus on different things, less strength related and more wear and tear related.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe Little should spend the summer with Wheeler or Scheifele and learn how to train like these guys. Otherwise this becomes another bad former Thrasher contract.

Were you saying the same thing the last 5 years as well? He had a down year. shit happens. no chemistry with new linemates and then got pushed down to 3C with Stastny's acquisition. He played at a 55 pt pace during the middle part of the year (1st 20 games was (H)ELL, last 20 games was different role). I am more of a believe he will bounce back to a 50-55pt player with good all around play.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don’t know where I saw it, but one of the stats guys posted that every player (other than Perreault I believe) performed worse with Little than away from him this year.
That has to be somewhat concerning doesn’t it?

Anyone who watched Little this year should be at least a little concerned, and those stats don't help. Also in the last couple of days there were graphics showing the average decline of aging players. Even if Little maintains the average, without Stastny or someone like him the Jets have a growing hole at center. Remember a few years ago a debate about drafting for position (D, especially left D) vs. BPA? Concentrating high picks on defencemen then would have lost Roslovic, who is now the Jets' heir-apparent at 2C. Not that the D problems have all been solved since then, but 2C looms as the biggest need right now IMO. An example of how things can change. Fingers crossed for Ros.

The thing about Perreault suggests those two should be stapled together. Wonder how Wheeler would do on the right side. Or Ehlers.

It used to be easy to pick Jets in games who deserved a face palm for doing something weak or lame or stupid. Wheeler, Buff, Ladd, Scheif, Lowry, Pavelec, Helly, they all contributed. One guy who just about never made that list was Little. But this year he's had a lot of them, from all three categories. Mr. Reliable is becoming Mr. Reliable At 3C Or Lower.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyone who watched Little this year should be at least a little concerned, and those stats don't help. Also in the last couple of days there were graphics showing the average decline of aging players. Even if Little maintains the average, without Stastny or someone like him the Jets have a growing hole at center. Remember a few years ago a debate about drafting for position (D, especially left D) vs. BPA? Concentrating high picks on defencemen then would have lost Roslovic, who is now the Jets' heir-apparent at 2C. Not that the D problems have all been solved since then, but 2C looms as the biggest need right now IMO. An example of how things can change. Fingers crossed for Ros.

The thing about Perreault suggests those two should be stapled together. Wonder how Wheeler would do on the right side. Or Ehlers.

It used to be easy to pick Jets in games who deserved a face palm for doing something weak or lame or stupid. Wheeler, Buff, Ladd, Scheif, Lowry, Pavelec, Helly, they all contributed. One guy who just about never made that list was Little. But this year he's had a lot of them, from all three categories. Mr. Reliable is becoming Mr. Reliable At 3C Or Lower.

All the more reason to start grooming roslovic to take over the 2C slot in another two seasons. No reason he shouldn't be playing C on a sheltered 3rd offensive line.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
All the more reason to start grooming roslovic to take over the 2C slot in another two seasons. No reason he shouldn't be playing C on a sheltered 3rd offensive line.

At least 3C and I personally think he’s good enough to be the 2C. He has the speed to make up for mistakes as well. So the mistakes are somewhat muted.

If I had to choose between Little and Roslovic as to who makes Ehlers and Laine more productive, it’s Roslo by a wide margin. Unless it comes out that Little was playing with a major injury all year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think you're being a tad dramatic. There was going to be some reduction in his role and production with Scheifele's ascension and removing Wheeler from his wing which fit his style of play better. ELL had no chemistry, neither of them were producing at paces they were expecting to. Then the last 20 games he got pushed to 3rd scoring line C.

He played at a 60ish pt pace the last 3 seasons prior to this one. I have a tough time grasping the fact his production would be cut by 20ish pts after one off season, especially when it was likely his first one injury free.

Id like to see him and Wheeler again on a line

id like to see
Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault/Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Perreault/Ehlers-Rosie-Armia (hopefully Vesalainen can make a step)
CLT

Well you are warranted for an opinion but I can honestly say there was nothing dramatic about it. Scoring 60 pts per season while anchoring first line isn't much of an accomplishment in today's hockey. Sure if he could still play at that level today, he probably would be good fit for a second line. However the history doesn't paint the future. When someone is struggling the entire season and pretty seemingly declining, we are no longer talking about just having an off-season and bouncing back come year. To make it back, he will need to bust his arse off this summer and there are never any guarantees.

Can't really blame the organization for rewarding him with that contract, but still, it wasn't a good move especially considering that the Jets will be a cap team in the coming years.

I agree about seeing Little paired up with Wheelers again and I think it might have been better if they played together even last season. Although at the same time, maybe this was the right kind of wake up call for Little and he takes the necessary steps that he won't turn into a liability (meaning that he can turn the page and add a new gear for the next few years and actually be worthy of that spent cap hit). With Wheelers he would have someone to drive the line and someone to do the necessary lifting. However knowing Maurice, it's difficult to picture him breaking up the Scheifele - Wheelers tandem. My hopes rely with Roslovic at the moment and that is quite worrisome to load a youngster with that much pressure. Because after all, the aim will be to compete for the Cup once again and if there's a vacuum in the top six, that's going to make things a lot harder. Fingers crossed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Little was our best forward for most of 2.0's existence, one off year and off to the salt mines!

He looked a lot better as the playoffs went on which suggests he was playing through something that got better.

I expect a refreshed Little next year.

People have to realize that players roles'change, especially as the team gets deeper and the player ages. Little might be a bit overpaid, but he can be a good 2C again, and if not, and excellent 3C.

We should be worried about Lowry, who looked like shit the entire playoffs.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Dont see anything happening with Little. He'll maintain his current role for the time being. NMC next 2 years gums things up. Not sure if his term + cap hit is helpful or a hindrance in trying to move him. I suppose a reasonable argument could be made on both sides.

He certainly didnt have the year many thought he would (much to my fantasy teams disappointment) but I dont think any knee jerk reactions are in order

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Little was our best forward for most of 2.0's existence, one off year and off to the salt mines!

He looked a lot better as the playoffs went on which suggests he was playing through something that got better.

I expect a refreshed Little next year.

People have to realize that players roles'change, especially as the team gets deeper and the player ages. Little might be a bit overpaid, but he can be a good 2C again, and if not, and excellent 3C.

We should be worried about Lowry, who looked like **** the entire playoffs.
I'd definitely be worried about Lowry if he was paid $5 mil dollars. But, lowry was injured all season and was even then one of our better defensive forwards. If you look at the post in the Trade Rumours thread it has stats and charts of how good he was. In addition, he was 3rd in 5 on 5 scoring.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd definitely be worried about Lowry if he was paid $5 mil dollars. But, lowry was injured all season and was even then one of our better defensive forwards. If you look at the post in the Trade Rumours thread it has stats and charts of how good he was. In addition, he was 3rd in 5 on 5 scoring.
He was a beast before he got hurt.

The injury severely limited his effectiveness. I worry that a young guy who uses physicality as a big part of his game already has shoulder issues.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Good hockey teams are made up players good at hockey. Bryan Little is good at hockey.

It's up to Maurice to place him with line mates that gel with him and he will return to form.

Reactions: Heldig and Ducky10

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I find it strange how some Laine fans blame little for laine's lack of production when they were together but don't blame stastny for laine's lack of 5v5 goal scoring in the playoffs...

1. Wasn't Stastnys fault. Nor was it Littles (unless it is especially hard to form chemistry with Little regardless of your playstyle). Chemistry is the deal here and always has been.
2. Sample size, the enemy of playoff performances.
3. Laine hit a ton of posts. That's just the way it is, see #2.

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I find it strange how some Laine fans blame little for laine's lack of production when they were together but don't blame stastny for laine's lack of 5v5 goal scoring in the playoffs...
That was Maurice's fault. It's hard to stay on top of who's fault everything is sometimes isn't it?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
So, ELL suffered from chemistry issues the entire time they played together, which greatly effected Laine's and Ehler's production......but not Little's, he just declined dramatically.

Got it.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
^
I think you could assess that by seeing how Little's production was affected after ELL was dismantled. At least we can conclude that Laine went insane and started chasing Ovi after ELL, although I'm sure there are always many reasons for everything.

Didn't Little have something like 3 primary assists for Laine goals in 50 games or something? That should not be right with a generational shooter.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want to give Little love because of how dedicated he is to the city of Winnipeg, he's practically made it home. In ways he deserves the money in the contract, but the big issue is how we have a salary cap in this era of the NHL. We might have to convince him to waive to Seattle in 2020 with all the young and upcoming talent rising up the ranks and on top of that make a trade in order for Seattle to take him. The irony in it for me is that Ladd might end up in Seattle as well.

I also own one of his jerseys.

Reactions: Aggie204

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He was a beast before he got hurt.

The injury severely limited his effectiveness. I worry that a young guy who uses physicality as a big part of his game already has shoulder issues.
Lowry also suffered two dislocated ribs against Nashville and was still able to play through it. He is tough as nails. Any player who plays a physical game will suffer injuries now and then. He won't get or play hurt every season, so why be worried?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lowry also suffered two dislocated ribs against Nashville and was still able to play through it. He is tough as nails. Any player who plays a physical game will suffer injuries now and then. He won't get or play hurt every season, so why be worried?
I've seen big, grinding forwards suffer from this over and over again - and they are never the same. I know Big Adam Lowry is a tough character - I'm not questioning that at all.

Shoulder injuries are very hard to completely correct - they often flare up again because of the abuse a physical forwards shoulders take. They are constantly the main point of contact when hitting and take a pounding.

I'm not a doctor and I don't know the specific injury that Lowry has suffered but serious shoulder separations (like bad groin tears or sports hernias) never fully heal and will nag a player throughout their career. If you rely on speed as a forward, a sports hernia can seriously affect your game, as can a shoulder separation for a physical forward.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
People being so worried really shows how spoiled Jets fans were last season. Little's production was pretty much average for 2C's around the league. It seems bad because we need to sign a lot of players and have some sweetheart deals but he is being paid fair value for his on-ice product. I understand arguments for trying to trade him but we need to stop saying he is overpaid and on a bad contract.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Wasn't it also the second line that was on fire when Chef got injured? Little was more than fine then. A bounce-back year is definitely not out of the question. Little did suffer from ELL (for two partial seasons) for sure as did his linemates, the only question is whether or not he sucks with everyone else too (offensively). Defensively Little has never been bad. Quite the opposite.

I think he also knows that he needs to do better offensively. These are grown men. I would hate having people holding my hand if I am sucking. I would want a little bit of heat under my ass to get me properly motivated.

I also understand the emotional attachments. I haven't been following Little or anyone else on this team so I don't know about what they "deserve" (in addition to millions of dollars). But we also have to understand that the whole point of this game is to be the best team you can be. If overzealous loyalty is counterproductive to that goal, we should not appreciate it more than the actual goal of the game. Because that's the game.

It's the same thing why I wouldn't let players dictate about who they want to play with, even if that means you are not being "loyal" or whatever. This is a game so everyone should get with the program about how to be the best player and team, even if it means you are being misused in your opinion. That said, I'm not saying that is necessarily happening, but it is something that could be happening.

/ end of random thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack722 and ocdaddy

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Whether Little can return to form is the biggest question I have going into next season.

To not have the right player to center talents like Laine and Ehlers is unconscionable.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
People being so worried really shows how spoiled Jets fans were last season. Little's production was pretty much average for 2C's around the league. It seems bad because we need to sign a lot of players and have some sweetheart deals but he is being paid fair value for his on-ice product. I understand arguments for trying to trade him but we need to stop saying he is overpaid and on a bad contract.
I agree. Little went from perhaps overrated to greatly underrated in my opinion. I would be shocked if he is anything other than #2 C next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->