Brian Lee over Jack Johnson???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
I understand your worries of believing someone on this site. But it isnt like his story wavers. I've seen about 60 posts of him having the same opinion and description of Johnson. He isnt someone who has registered for a day and then disappeared.

You contradict yourself when you say you wouldnt "believe all these claims", but then say "thats when I turn to this site". Isnt that exactly what this site is? People with biased views on prospects they've seen/read about/judged on stats?

The only reason why I dont doubt or bother Hab Fan about his info, is that it has correlated and agreed with other sources at different times. For example, the past tourney where Johnson dominated. His stock rose, and Hab Fan wasnt the only one praising him.

Let me ask you this, what do you think of Johnson yourself? I'd like to know how you felt about him, rather than the your concerns of the validity of Hab Fan posting about him.

He's right Vlad, turn your brain off and have fun. :D

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Balej's Dance said:
You contradict yourself when you say you wouldnt "believe all these claims", but then say "thats when I turn to this site". Isnt that exactly what this site is? People with biased views on prospects they've seen/read about/judged on stats?

I can see how it looks like a contradiction but to me, it's not. I turn here for people to share with me their own observations if they go to games or to point me to information they read about. I very rarely will believe someone who claims inside information unless I know that person well enough.

Someone telling me Jere Lehtinen played a horrible game I will pay attention. Someone telling me Jere Lehtinen is going to be traded to the Islanders in the next 24 hours because management wanted him to wear a cowboy hat and he had a treesome with two other players' wives I'm not going to fall for :D

Usually, inside info is not corroborated by anyone else and ends up not being true. It sucks, because sometimes it is. Like the guy who predicted Mario Lemieux would return to the ice two or three days before it was announced.

Balej's Dance said:
The only reason why I dont doubt or bother Hab Fan about his info, is that it has correlated and agreed with other sources at different times. For example, the past tourney where Johnson dominated. His stock rose, and Hab Fan wasnt the only one praising him.

I don't know him very well but I will pay more attention in the future.

Balej's Dance said:
Let me ask you this, what do you think of Johnson yourself? I'd like to know how you felt about him, rather than the your concerns of the validity of Hab Fan posting about him.

I don't know what to think but he definitly got my attention. Looks like a lot of people are high on him so he must at least be a quality prospect. But it also looks like *maybe* some people are amazingly high on him.

If this guy is truly going to turn out to be "the perfect combination of Lidstrom and Konstantinov", I'd prefer him to Crosby. It is that invaluable, IMO.

But I don't have any solid opinion on Johnson that I can share. Mostly, I just have questions.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Crosbyfan said:
He's right Vlad, turn your brain off and have fun. :D

TO VLAD'S BUTT BUDDY:

You misinterpreted what that meant. I didnt say for Vlad to not worry about how legit the poster was. Thats all Vlad had been posting about and I wanted to hear what he thought of Johnson himself and his ability, not his concerns over fraud. Nowhere did I say stop being sensible.

Laugh out Loud.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hab Fan said:
Whether you believe the quote from Ken Holland is not important, it was said and I have to trust in the confidentiality when it was said and with whom. No he isn't hulking, but strong as heck, and as I've noted before, he is 6'1 210 with 6% body fat. Hitting is also a state of mind. Defensive positioning is so easy to teach, he runs around , as some say, because he can, and recover! Granted, that won't work at Michigan, but I believe the kid knows the difference. As you said, the skills he has can not be taught now, you either have them or not by now. This kid will be a stud for someone. I am not being critical of your comments, just elaborating.

I'm with you 100 percent.
I just don't see Lidstrom in his game.
Lidstrom's game is about quick hands and an agile mind.

A Good Flying Bird*

Vlad The Impaler said:
If this guy is truly going to turn out to be "the perfect combination of Lidstrom and Konstantinov", I'd prefer him to Crosby. It is that invaluable, IMO.

If Holland said such a thing, he really misspoke. Maybe he was flippant.
I talked briefly to Holland and Barry Smith as well as Doug Maclean at the U-18 4 Nations in Ann Arbor.
They were very impressed with Johnson and Skille.
Johnson has the Konstantinov mentality sort of.
He loves the big hit. (though not Vlady's famed hipchecks,)

But I don't see Lidstrom at all.

A Neidermayer/Stevens mix would be more accurate, in terms of style, anyway.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Newsguyone said:
If Holland said such a thing, he really misspoke. Maybe he was flippant.
I talked briefly to Holland and Barry Smith as well as Doug Maclean at the U-18 4 Nations in Ann Arbor.
They were very impressed with Johnson and Skille.
Johnson has the Konstantinov mentality sort of.
He loves the big hit. (though not Vlady's famed hipchecks,)

But I don't see Lidstrom at all.

A Neidermayer/Stevens mix would be more accurate, in terms of style, anyway.
The Hockey News had an article worth reading about Johnson, Nov.30th I believe. By the way, Holland didn't misspeak. What he meant by Lidstrom was that Johnson looks to put it on someones tape rather than shoot it off the glass all the time. That was what he meant by Lidstrom comparison.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
i got a few tapes of Johnson. I was impressed that he played so well for being so young. Everything i hear on these boards doesn't seem misleading, and i was surprised that he didn't make the squad. Many great players dont make the WJC squad, so i'm not worried in that respect.

from what i've been told/read, the US coaches wanted a very fast a speedy defense, a team that could move the puck. From what i've seen Johnson fits that, but it looks like the US coaches didn't feel the same way. I dont think its a knock on Johnson, just a prefence of the coaches, thats all.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
TO VLAD'S BUTT BUDDY:

You misinterpreted what that meant. I didnt say for Vlad to not worry about how legit the poster was. Thats all Vlad had been posting about and I wanted to hear what he thought of Johnson himself and his ability, not his concerns over fraud. Nowhere did I say stop being sensible.

Laugh out Loud.

No, I was right. You were asking information from a source that already indicated they didn't know. Odd, considering the rest of your post.

The irony is probably lost on you.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hab Fan said:
The Hockey News had an article worth reading about Johnson, Nov.30th I believe. By the way, Holland didn't misspeak. What he meant by Lidstrom was that Johnson looks to put it on someones tape rather than shoot it off the glass all the time. That was what he meant by Lidstrom comparison.

So he was flippant about the remarks.
Because Lidstrom's game involves a whole helluva lot more than tape to tape passes.

Actually, if you think about it, Konstantinov himself was a great passer.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Crosbyfan said:
No, I was right. You were asking information from a source that already indicated they didn't know. Odd, considering the rest of your post.

The irony is probably lost on you.

So what if Vlad doesnt know? Im asking, dont know how many times I have to explain this, what he thinks of Johnson. Im not asking him to bs a whole scouting report. What is so hard to believe? There isnt any irony. Are you implying that Vlad should continue to refrain, as he is, from giving any opinion on Johnson b/c he hasnt seen him? Regardless if he has seen him or not, he can still have some feeling/thought about a player. I'm not asking him to spew **** and talk out of his rear.

The more I think about it, you might be afraid that Johnson could be gaining on Crosby, with his attractiveness as a complete Dman, and might be a pissed off Crosbyfan. Is there irony now?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the link issue above is relevant in that all things that are quoted like that are generally required to have a link associated - arent they? thats what i thought this site required. its always a requirement for a trade rumour, so why would it different when discussing a prospect? sometimes with the bs we are all inundated with on this site from people, you need proof that someone knows what they are talking about, and not merely contributing to hype. i think its not out of line to ask for proof when someone compares 17/18 year old johnson to lidstrom and vlady....2 of the best this generation had to offer. its not totally unlike calling vinnie the "jordon" of hockey. its unrealistic expectations that fuel the hype through websites like this. a little proof that someone "in the know" said something like that isnt too much to ask for.

as for the comments that the us defense has been taking, i would like to defend borer. as a canes prospect, i went to see him play this year here against DU, and have watched the two us games. i can see how a johnson would be a far better choice as an offensive force, but ive been really impressed with borers generally quiet, effective game. he defensive almost to a fault. he rather obsessively takes his man on defensive draws, and keeps his guy tied up. he does the same when working on the boards, in front of the net, and conflicting with a previous comment about the us lack of hitting, he hits hard and often when digging in his own end....which is when it matters. he rarely gets the hits you notice on tv, because you have to take yourself out of position to make those hits, and borer plays like a guy who would never sacrifice good d positioning just to make himself look good(or bad) with a big nuetral zone hit. i would think any coaching staff would love a guy like that in these situations where you a have too small a time to teach a kid about when and when not to be aggresive. they dont have time for mental errors in the wjc. he made at least three awesome plays at his own line, where he stepped up and completely took out his guy with a stiff check, when in all three occasions the guy put his head down and tried to get cute. the first time he did it was on ovechkin, and borer drove him into the boards and onto his backside. but apparently, no one else noticed.
anyways, my point is that maybe some people are underating guys when they say "johnson is so much better than that guy". they took the guys they thought were the best tourney players right now, and probably the most likely to stick to the game plan once they were there. thats not a snipe at johnson, who i havent seen, just a comment on the players who are there. johnson may eventually out play these guys by miles in the nhl, but maybe the game plan called for different guys, and guys they felt were older and more ready? i know im biased for borer, but my bias drove me to go out and actually watch him before talking about him, and i feel after seeing him live and on tv, he deserves to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->