Brian Lashoff

Dechaineux

Oct 29, 2011
From the outset, this is no knee jerk reaction thread from the Columbus game. I'm not going to praise Lashoff as the messiah of our defensive problems. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree he really showed something against the Blue Jackets. Whilst it's been argued that Babcock throwing Lashoff out there as the only d-man in a 5 on 3 penalty kill shows how pitiful our d-corps may be, it's obvious Babcock holds some ounce of trust in him. He also, somewhat surprisingly, pitched in offensively.

So I'm curious, where do we see Lashoff on our roster now and into the future? What's his ceiling? What's his worth to us? Is anyone surprised by his first game tonight?

And finally, one aspect I'm quite interested in; what's his story? Has his development been surprising and what progress has he made over the past few years?

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
From the outset, this is no knee jerk reaction thread from the Columbus game. I'm not going to praise Lashoff as the messiah of our defensive problems. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree he really showed something against the Blue Jackets. Whilst it's been argued that Babcock throwing Lashoff out there as the only d-man in a 5 on 3 penalty kill shows how pitiful our d-corps may be, it's obvious Babcock holds some ounce of trust in him. He also, somewhat surprisingly, pitched in offensively.

So I'm curious, where do we see Lashoff on our roster now and into the future? What's his ceiling? What's his worth to us? Is anyone surprised by his first game tonight?

And finally, one aspect I'm quite interested in; what's his story? Has his development been surprising and what progress has he made over the past few years?

He's better than Quincy so keep him up the rest of the season lol. To answer the other question about his progress I"m not a 100% but I do remember reading in another thread that he struggled really badly last year or something.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
His upside is to be 3rd pairing stay-at-home defenceman and maybe a decent penalty killer.

Lashoff was mainly used there, because main PK-guy Ericsson was out and Lashoff is the main PK-guy at Grand Rapids. He also got more minutes when our PK defencemen Kronwall and Quincey sat on the box.

That 4 on 3, where he was the only defenceman, was a situation that both Kronwall and Quincey were on the box and Smith had a shift before that lead to Quincey penalty. So there was no other choises.

Looks like they favor Lashoff over Ian White and Cola (he wasn't injured yet) there on the PK that is not a bad thing. Good game shape and PK routine from a half-season in AHL is of course a benefit for him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Having watched him all year in the minors I'm not surprised he held his own. Was a little surprised at how poised he looked with the puck though.

He's got clear bottom pairing skill.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Having watched him all year in the minors I'm not surprised he held his own. Was a little surprised at how poised he looked with the puck though.

He's got clear bottom pairing skill.

One game is not enough, let us see him in a bit more stressful situation, but I really dislike the Smith/Quincey pairing right now.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
I think, Lashoff is not ne next coming of whatever but he is a pretty solid bread-and-butter-guy. He does his job, is not shifty, not the most physical guy or whatever. Sort of like Quincey in the days when he cracked the Wings those playoffs. I think they are actually comparable. Q also is a stay at home guy who accidently scored a bunch in LA. From that day on he is seen as a two way D-man who has to do both (because he is also paid for this). And that hurts his defensive game. He wants to do something he isn't capable of. Let alone on a roster like the wings with very many mobile, more offensively oriented D-men.

So overall I think Quincey and Lashoff are pretty well comparable. Lashoff may not score like Quincey did in LA, Qunicey may not get back to the solid defensive game without trying to do anything offensively. But the skillset is nevertheless comparable to me.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Small sample size, but I'd take Lashoff over Quincey every day. Quincey has an awkward stride, bad poise, bad vision, takes dumb and untimely penalties. I've never been a fan of his and really hope Babcock/Holland see the error of their ways and unload him. Bad asset management though it may be, I'll take a third or fourth round pick and be done with him.

Of course, I don't see it happening with our already depleted d-corps.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
One game is not enough, let us see him in a bit more stressful situation, but I really dislike the Smith/Quincey pairing right now.

Yes, but doesn't change my long-term view that I think he'll become a 3rd pairing regular one day.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Scores one goal,Red Wings fan(s) praise him as if he is the next Nicklas Lidström...One game folks! Why a thread on Lashoff? Did he impress you that much?
:shakehead

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Scores one goal,Red Wings fan(s) praise him as if he is the next Nicklas Lidström...One game folks! Why a thread on Lashoff? Did he impress you that much?

The only person to mention Lashoff's goal or Lidstrom was you....

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Yep, we're all praising him as the next coming of Jesus Christ... :help:

So far I've seen him called a "Bread & Butter" guy & a good 3rd pairing dman, which one of those really show him being played up to Lidstrom? He was better then Quincey last night & he does deserve some of the praise he is getting as he played a good game.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't care he scored, it wasn't amazing, he just put the puck on net and got lucky there was a screen, good to see he'll shoot though. His defensive game was average for a 3rd pairing last night so I think he'll be a good short term fix, but I'd still rather have a more physical guy long term.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yep, we're all praising him as the next coming of Jesus Christ... :help:

So far I've seen him called a "Bread & Butter" guy & a good 3rd pairing dman, which one of those really show him being played up to Lidstrom? He was better then Quincey last night & he does deserve some of the praise he is getting as he played a good game.

:facepalm: LOL, it was a sarcastic comment to the praise one gets after ONE good game, their only NHL game... Its a common problem with every team. Its funny you took me so serious tho.

barnztormre

Our goley is awsom
Jan 21, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
When it comes to defensemen, the less you notice their defensive play the better. EXAMPLE: Quincey's gawd-awful effort last night.

Lashoff didn't look out of place at all yesterday, and that's a good thing. Small sample size, obvs, but considering our depleted defensive corps he can be a very valuable asset. The goal didn't hurt either. :yo:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was pulling for him to get invited to training camp and wanted to see him get a shot to push Kindl. His first game only gives you reason to think he could contribute on this club. Unfortunately he'll probably be sent down as soon as Ericsson is healthy so we can keep Kindl and Quincey on the roster. :shakehead

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Didn't notice him at all until that 4 on 3 PK when he was with Pasha and Z. Tells you how much Babcock learned to trust him as the game went on, I guess. If he keeps it up, I bet Kindl could be sold off for a decent return and we could keep him for the bottom pairing.

RedWingsNow*

I didn't see much about Lashoff's game other than there was very little to see..

I didn't see great defense. I saw simple defense. I saw him get turned inside out twice.
I saw him on the ice for two goals against.

I also didn't think he was very physical.

And I think coach Babcock put him out there on the 5-on-3 as a message to the knuckleheads on his D ---
This is how bad you suck. I'm going to put a rookie in his first game out there because you guys have lost my confidence the way you're playing.

I'm going to need to see a lot more of Lashoff before I declare him a "solid" defenseman.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
He impressed in his first NHL game. I think it's worth mentioning it. And yeah, he scored. Kind of a big deal for him and the team.

He was on a 4 on 3 PK, started OT and was really good in his own zone. I hope he keeps it up.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
Lashoff impressed his first game, but you cant jump the gun on this guy, i think hes ceiling is a 5th or 6th d man, a steady shut down defense men that can be used on the PK. Give the kid credit tho he did play real well in his first game. I hope he proves me wrong and turns into a 3rd or 4th dman and replaces Quincy because he obviously so far is not working out for us.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
I didn't see much about Lashoff's game other than there was very little to see..

I didn't see great defense. I saw simple defense. I saw him get turned inside out twice.
I saw him on the ice for two goals against.

I also didn't think he was very physical.

And I think coach Babcock put him out there on the 5-on-3 as a message to the knuckleheads on his D ---
This is how bad you suck. I'm going to put a rookie in his first game out there because you guys have lost my confidence the way you're playing.

I'm going to need to see a lot more of Lashoff before I declare him a "solid" defenseman.

when u dont notice a defender that is sometimes a good thing. just means hes simply doing his job

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
For me at least he seemed to play a better game then smith. Smith has looked a bit lost this season, playing with Q doesn't help though. Overall I'd say lashoffs positioning in his own end seemed pretty good for his first NHL game. Smith gave up a bad odd man rush in OT last night when he jumped in on a rush.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
For me at least he seemed to play a better game then smith. Smith has looked a bit lost this season, playing with Q doesn't help though. Overall I'd say lashoffs positioning in his own end seemed pretty good for his first NHL game. Smith gave up a bad odd man rush in OT last night when he jumped in on a rush.

It's only been 2 games for Smith and the whole team was destroyed by the Blues in the 1st game. It think it shook his confidence a little, there is a lot of pressure on him to perform and I think after that 6-0 stomping he is over thinking and trying too hard. He needs time and new d- partner

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
It's only been 2 games for Smith and the whole team was destroyed by the Blues in the 1st game. It think it shook his confidence a little, there is a lot of pressure on him to perform and I think after that 6-0 stomping he is over thinking and trying too hard. He needs time and new d- partner

I totally agree smith needs a new partner. He needs someone that can be trusted to cover him when he joins the offense on a rush and that definitely is not Quincey. And I wasn't say lashoff is a better player the smith, he just played his part well.
Its really a bummer Stuart is gone. I think he would suit Smiths style well.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I totally agree smith needs a new partner. He needs someone that can be trusted to cover him when he joins the offense on a rush and that definitely is not Quincey. And I wasn't say lashoff is a better player the smith, he just played his part well.
Its really a bummer Stuart is gone. I think he would suit Smiths style well.

If only there was some way to play Smith last year with Stuart or one of the best D-men of all time :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad