Recalled/Assigned: Brian Lashoff re-called

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How can they ACTUALLY play without being called up? Love to hear this answer as well?
If someone caught the flu, got hurt in practice Lashoff would be in the lineup!
Grand Rapids, keep up. Lashoff was called up to ride pine, and that's what he did. I don't care about Hronek being called up to be a planned sit for 2 games.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm saying I'd rather the prospects keep playing in the minors then travel to go sit on the Wings bench for most of the game.
You will find no player that would agree to not being called up "because I'll be in the pressbox" the goal is to get to the NHL and make the most of you time whether its 2 mins or 20 of ice time.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Grand Rapids, keep up. Lashoff was called up to ride pine, and that's what he did. I don't care about Hronek being called up to be a planned sit for 2 games.
You logic is basically "I rather not make the team because I'll only be the backup QB and back ups dont play". I rather be on the bench in the NHL than playing in grand Rapids any injury and I'm on the ice in the nhl

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm saying I'd rather the prospects keep playing in the minors then travel to go sit on the Wings bench for most of the game.
Fans perspective. Players want to be with the big club. And you make more money when you are with the wings too. Literally no player would choose the AHL playing than being next in line in the NHL...

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Lashoff is guaranteed 300k and is on a 275k AHL salary. Seems he gets his call up every year to make him whole so the wings don’t have to pay a salary and the 25k when they know he won’t play.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fans perspective. Players want to be with the big club. And you make more money when you are with the wings too. Literally no player would choose the AHL playing than being next in line in the NHL...
Also the GM's perspective. There's not much point in calling a kid up for 4 minutes of one game.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Don't tell me what to do. And we have better options to call up than him. Dare you to tell me I'm lying....

You are absolutely right. The Wings have better options to call up instead of Lashoff. The Wings should have called up Mickey Redmond to fill in. He is already in the press box and he is between the benches at the start of the 3rd period on home games. It would have saved the Wings plenty on the cap side of things and this would have accomplished the same thing as did Lashoff during his call up.

The Wings dictate (just like all of the other NHL teams) who comes up and who gets sent back down the the AHL. They do this in training camp, before the start of the regular season, during the season, before the trade deadline, and after their season is over. When an injury(s) occur during the season, the NHL team decides if they need a player(s) from their AHL affiliate, when that person is needed (extra body needed, actual replacing an injured or suspended player), how long that person will be needed and when that person is no longer needed to fill in and be sent back down to the AHL.

In this particular case, Lashoff was their to fill in for Daley (not for DeKeyser) time off, which was for 2 games and he was on emergency recall. The Wings had 6 d-men already as Witkowski is their extra forward/d-man. No need for Hronek, Hicketts, Saarijarvi, McIlrath, etc to come up as the Wings felt there was no need for them to be here and basically participate in practice, and watch the games in the press box. That is how it works.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't tell me what to do. And we have better options to call up than him. Dare you to tell me I'm lying....

As Lazlo mentioned, it was better to have him come in, play 4 minutes/sit in the press box, then to call up Hronek or someone and they sit in the press box anyways. Also allows them to send him back down, through waivers, because they are absolutely not concerned about losing this guy through waivers.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Lashoff is guaranteed 300k and is on a 275k AHL salary. Seems he gets his call up every year to make him whole so the wings don’t have to pay a salary and the 25k when they know he won’t play.

Yup. That kind of handshake agreement gives them a vet who will play hard in the AHL, helping to solidify a good development environment for their prospects, in exchange for periodic call ups that effectively act as a fat bonus and a strength-training conditioning stint.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You are absolutely right. The Wings have better options to call up instead of Lashoff. The Wings should have called up Mickey Redmond to fill in. He is already in the press box and he is between the benches at the start of the 3rd period on home games. It would have saved the Wings plenty on the cap side of things and this would have accomplished the same thing as did Lashoff during his call up.

The Wings dictate (just like all of the other NHL teams) who comes up and who gets sent back down the the AHL. They do this in training camp, before the start of the regular season, during the season, before the trade deadline, and after their season is over. When an injury(s) occur during the season, the NHL team decides if they need a player(s) from their AHL affiliate, when that person is needed (extra body needed, actual replacing an injured or suspended player), how long that person will be needed and when that person is no longer needed to fill in and be sent back down to the AHL.

In this particular case, Lashoff was their to fill in for Daley (not for DeKeyser) time off, which was for 2 games and he was on emergency recall. The Wings had 6 d-men already as Witkowski is their extra forward/d-man. No need for Hronek, Hicketts, Saarijarvi, McIlrath, etc to come up as the Wings felt there was no need for them to be here and basically participate in practice, and watch the games in the press box. That is how it works.
As soon as I saw your dumb sarcastic comment about Redmond I stopped reading just so you know there bud.:thumbu:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How can they ACTUALLY play without being called up? Love to hear this answer as well?
If someone caught the flu, got hurt in practice Lashoff would be in the lineup!

You will find no player that would agree to not being called up "because I'll be in the pressbox" the goal is to get to the NHL and make the most of you time whether its 2 mins or 20 of ice time.

Ok? And then the very next game, they'd re-assess and probably call up a Hicketts or Hronek or whoever.

If a player is actually playing top minutes in GR, THE ORGANIZATION would rather keep them down and call up a Lashoff to play the single digit minutes or ride the pine in the NHL. Of course any player would want to get called up. You're not going to have Filip Hronek say "I'd rather stay in GR." But it isn't Filip Hronek's choice.

The Wings are operating under the assumption that nobody is going to get seriously injured or seriously ill before the game and that the highest likelihood is that this call up would be a single game or two and it's someone who needs to be in the building if a player's knee implodes. If the worst happens, they're covered. But when you have limited resources

Moving up a player you are developing to be a double-super-secret backup plan in Nick Kronwall's knee explodes tomorrow when Trevor Daley and Danny DeKeyser are also out is silly.

Lastly, it isn't up to the player whether he wants to be called up or not. Of course they always would and exactly for the reason you're stating as well as them getting a real nice bonus for a couple days work. But it isn't their call to make. And from the Red Wings management perspective, it is incredibly wasteful to have a guy like Hronek who you are hoping becomes a top 4D probably as soon as next year to be sitting on his ass eating popcorn in the pressbox instead of playing 20+ mins a night against professional level talent.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
As soon as I saw your dumb sarcastic comment about Redmond I stopped reading just so you know there bud.:thumbu:

You should read the rest of my quote to you. Maybe then you would understand how an NHL team operates and works with their AHL affiliate when it comes to injuries, call ups, who gets called up, etc. Just trying to educate you on this that is all. Maybe you would quit your ramblings as to why Lashoff was called up instead of Hronek, Hicketts, etc.

Bottom line is the NHL team dictates who, when, where, how, and why regarding their team, coaching staff, personnel, etc.

Reactions: opivy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And what if they made a big impression in ten minutes? And never went back down? Bringing Lashoff up makes zero sense
I get what you're saying. A guy whose ceiling is lower than the belly of a snake in a wagon rut isn't who you'd like as next man up. But in this particular scenario, the guy joining the roster is nothing more than a pulse to check the box on filling out a roster card, and has a 99.99999% chance of never seeing the ice, so let the kids keep getting minutes in GR while Lashoff makes an appearance in name only.

It's still a throwaway move, but I find that it's better to make fun instead of getting frustrated.

Like saying that Chuck Norris exists because Brian Lashoff wants it that way.
Or that The Most Interesting Man in the World doesn't always ride the shuttle bus from Grand Rapids to Detroit, but when he does, he sits with Brian Lashoff.

(I'm saving my next "hill to die on" for what happens at the trade deadline, and just enjoying the ride until then.)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad