Brian Gionta retires

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
For an undersized third rounder, he had quite the career. Scored 193 goals from 2003-2010. Was a pain in the ass to play against for my Rangers. Likeable personality and always played his ass off.

GiontaChara.jpg

Hockey Idol: None

Big Z with the cockiest move

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'll always remember him in a Boston Bruins jersey, not covering the man in front of the net, and giving up the series-winning goal.

Reactions: HabsQC

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hockey Idol: None

Big Z with the cockiest move

Can't remember which player but I remember someone listed himself as his favorite player growing up in the cbc closing credits after the last playoff game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
good little career, will never understand how he scored 48 goals tho

Gionta had a good shot and went to the dirty areas. He played the game with a chip on his shoulder and had good hands around the net too. He could also fly.

He was also on pace to scoring 40 in Montreal during his first season there. He could score.

Eventually he had some bad bicep injuries which I think took some zip off his shot, and his speed also was not the same during the later years.

If you remove his last 5 years or so, it was a really nice career for a tiny guy from rochester.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is that photo taken from a retirement press conference? Like did he retire a member of the Sabres? If so, I'd associate him with the Devils / Habs more than the Sabres tbh.
Guy is from Rochester, his family is in Rochester, Buffalo is the closest to where home is. He will be chipping in with helping the Sabres.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to say I am glad he didn't retire between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Just a ribbing of Vonte Davis there.

Brian Gionta had a pretty good career when little guys were not supposed to succeed in the game. A very respectable career for a player that played the game hard.

Reactions: HabsQC

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Anyone have that picture of him where he is really small and going to celebrate with his teammates? That is my favorite memory of him.
The end of one game a long time ago Chara swatted him like a fly into the crossbar... twice. It really summed up the size difference rather comically.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is that photo taken from a retirement press conference? Like did he retire a member of the Sabres? If so, I'd associate him with the Devils / Habs more than the Sabres tbh.

Yeah but he’s from the area and will remain in it. He was already helping out at prospect camp last month.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I can see him getting in a player development role where he has the option to go to a lot of Amerks games since he lives in Greece (suburb of Rochester)

I think that's exactly what he's doing, helping out mostly in Rochester. He skated with the Amerks last year before going to the Olympics (then signing with the Bruins), and he seemed to have a really positive impact there. This off-season, he was one of the coaches at the Sabres rookie development camp.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
All around good guy who's leadership was clearly valued. Still has the NJ record for most goals in a season. He barely got any attention that year too.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Happy retirement. Not surprised he's staying local to move forward, he's very involved in his kids soccer programs here in town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad