Boston Globe Brian Gionta , Kenny Agostino and Paul Postma not offered contracts

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
and it begins

Brian Gionta will not return to Bruins - The Boston Globe

General manager Don Sweeney, here for this week’s NHL Combine, said Thursday forwards Brian Gionta and Kenny Agostino, as well as defenseman Paul Postma, won’t be offered contracts to return for the 2018-19 season.

Gionta, acquired as a free agent in February after serving as captain of the US Olympic team, chipped in with a 2-5—7 line in 20 regular-season games, then was asked to dress for only one of Boston’s 12 playoff games.
Agostino and Postma, the club’s lone two budget acquisitions as unrestricted free agents last July, saw very little playing time with the varsity during the regular season and weren’t used in the playoffs.

Austin Czarnik, the club’s top scorer (64 games/69 points) with AHL Providence last season, is eligible for Group 6 unrestricted free agency July 1 and Sweeney made it clear the ex-Miami/Ohio standout sounds interested in testing the open market.

“We’ve had discussions with Austin,” said Sweeney, meeting a small media gaggle at the Westin Hotel, which shares a downtown address with Delaware North, headquarters of Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. “I think Austin is intrigued by what may exist elsewhere. We certainly haven’t closed the door, and I don’t think he has as well. I’d be surprised if he at least doesn’t get to see what may present itself.”

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Well here we go.

On my wish list for this offseason was Czarnik to be signed to replace Riley Nash.

Not looking good so far.

This.

Kind of annoyed at how poorly they handled him honestly. Because of waivers and things people with more know than I explained, he pretty much got stuck in the minors.

Hes definitely a candidate for going to another team and breaking into the NHL.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
It sounds like the only way they have a chance to keep Czarnik is to offer good money on a 2 year one way deal. If I’m Czarnik that’s what I’m looking for from a team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing shocking here.

I'm more concerned that they are still talking to their other UFAs.

Reactions: Estlin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Czarnik's problem was he couldn't stay healthy enough to make a real mark. I really liked what I saw when he did play though. I will not miss any of the other UFAs.

Reactions: JOKER 192

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Czarnik's problem was he couldn't stay healthy enough to make a real mark. I really liked what I saw when he did play though. I will not miss any of the other UFAs.

It could be that, in addition to left defense, they are looking to get bigger up front also.
Czarnik, while talented, is listed at 5'9 160.

Reactions: OV

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm more concerned that they are still talking to their other UFAs.

That was my thought also. I guess we shouldn't read too much into it, though. Those three were probably the easiest ones to decide on. If we want to be optimists (hard as a Bruins fan sometime) we might think that in a few cases, they are exploring or waiting on deals for replacements but are covering all their bets for the moment.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hate to loose an asset for nothing, but is it just me that was never overly impressed with Czarnik's game?
I like his game, but looking at our lineup I'm not sure adding another smaller forward is the best way to go, especially for 3rd line center which is where I would envision he would be. He does play a bit more feisty than some of our guys though so that may allow them to overlook his size a bit more.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
When they signed Agostino I thought that maybe he would have a breakout season with all of the promise that he showed up until then in the minors but when he played with the big boys (not sure if it was preseason) he showed no spark (not so sure about Providence). Seems like another case of a great minor leaguer with very little ambition to take the next big step.

Last edited:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
When they signed Agostino I thought that maybe he would have a breakout season with all of the promise that he showed up until then in the minors but when he played with the big boys (not sure if it was preseason) he showed no spark (not so sure about Providence). Seems like another case of a great minor leaguer with very little ambition to take the next big step.

Agostino had a good year in Providence with 16 goals and 37 assists for 53 points in 64 games.

However, that was a lot less than 2016-17 when he was #1 in the AHL (by a huge margin) with 24 goals and 59 assists for 83 points in 65 games.

The Hockey News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad