Value of: Brian Elliott to St. Louis Blues

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Both Allen and Elliott were just bad against the Sharks, despite the fact that the Blues were far better defensively than both the Preds and Kings.

I thought Elliott stole game 1 but was meh in games 2, 3 and 6.

I remember Elliott playing well on paper in the 2013 playoffs against the Kings but letting in a couple bad goals. He didn't get enough goal support to win a series though. A lot of that may have been due to Quick picking up where he left off from the playoffs before. He was really good that playoffs until the Chicago series.

I would have been annoyed if I were Elliott after last year too. Particularly at the end of game 6 when Hitch switched him with Allen because Allen was a better puck mover. I thought that was over-coaching and really grasping.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
We were a better defensive team going into the series than those teams, but we didn't play better defensively in that series than either of them, really. Our defense played worse than Elliott did. Allen was the same as he has been this year. Makes unbelievable saves sometimes, lets in easy ones more often than he should.

Other than Doughty, Kings didn't know how to play defense. Rinne was the only reason the Preds had a chance in many of the games. The only game that the defense stole for the Preds was game 6 where Rinne was bad. Blues weren't good defensively to say the least, but I thought they did far better than both Western conference teams the Sharks faced. Blues on paper had better D than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh obviously played far better overall.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I thought Elliott stole game 1 but was meh in games 2, 3 and 6.

I remember Elliott playing well on paper in the 2013 playoffs against the Kings but letting in a couple bad goals. He didn't get enough goal support to win a series though. A lot of that may have been due to Quick picking up where he left off from the playoffs before. He was really good that playoffs until the Chicago series.

I would have been annoyed if I were Elliott after last year too. Particularly at the end of game 6 when Hitch switched him with Allen because Allen was a better puck mover. I thought that was over-coaching and really grasping.

Yeah I agree. Allen might be a better shot suppressor, but for such an elite D team, that isn't as relevant as someone who can actually stop the puck. Rinne was a great shot suppressor, but had difficulties last year stopping the puck, and it costed the Preds some games. I thought Backes leaving would dent the Blues defense, especially with Steen and Shattenkirk's decline (Steen overall, Shattenkirk defensively only), but Blues have been excellent in most games this year defensively, Allen just sucks.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Other than Doughty, Kings didn't know how to play defense. Rinne was the only reason the Preds had a chance in many of the games. The only game that the defense stole for the Preds was game 6 where Rinne was bad. Blues weren't good defensively to say the least, but I thought they did far better than both Western conference teams the Sharks faced. Blues on paper had better D than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh obviously played far better overall.

Exactly, on paper. We gave up 3 goals twice, 4 goals once, 5 goals once, and 6 goals once in a 6 game series. The Kings actually gave up the least goals per game against the Sharks in the West playoffs, and we were the worst. They were easily faster than us, moved the puck on us like the Globetrotters of hockey, and pretty much any time Thornton had the puck down low, we knew 0 about how to stop him, Pavelski, or the passing lanes. Credit to them, they were on fire and had a lethal PP. But from our POV, Elliott kinda never had a chance on a lot of those goals. Our D played like trash outside of a couple guys. Shattenkirk and Edmundson had horrible, horrible playoffs in their own zone. Bouwmeester wasn't on his game either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A pending UFA who lost the starting gig on his current team and has generally had an awful year? Calgary would be lucky to get a mid round draft pick for Elliott right now.

That said, I can't see the Blues trading for a guy who just asked to be traded away this past offseason.

Like I said, Calgary does not need to trade him.

Calgary defense was awful to start the year so it wasnt really all his fault. Johnson went on a hot streak but he has come back down to earth. Elliot will get his opportunity to get his job back.
I am sure the Flames would rather keep him and fight for a playoff spot rather than a meaningless draft pick.

If the Blues or anybody want him they have to overpay. If the Flames dont want him, they dont have to resign him. They lose nothing

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Like I said, Calgary does not need to trade him.

Calgary defense was awful to start the year so it wasnt really all his fault. Johnson went on a hot streak but he has come back down to earth. Elliot will get his opportunity to get his job back.
I am sure the Flames would rather keep him and fight for a playoff spot rather than a meaningless draft pick.

If the Blues or anybody want him they have to overpay. If the Flames dont want him, they dont have to resign him. They lose nothing

Ok cool, keep him. I sincerely hope he plays really well for y'all (both because I like Ells as a player/person and because of the conditional draft pick we get if he resigns in Calgary).

The Blues neither want nor need him, with the exception of some disgruntled Blues fans who are impatient with Allens struggles and/or are still bitter that Elliott was traded in the first place. For the record, this thread was started by a Leafs fan from what I can tell. There is zero chance the Blues would give up significant assets for Brian Elliott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad