Brian Dumoulin

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
This is clearly a kind of late thread, but other than Schwartz and Tarasenko, I came away real impressed with Brian Dumoulin in the 011' WJC, and he was among a few highly-rated prospects on that American defensive group, including those such as Merrill, Leddy, Forbort and Faulk, all of whom receive more attention than him.

I saw a defenseman who was obviously sizeable, (listed as 6'3" and 205 lbs at 18) but also a real smooth-skater, and his strength really stood out in comparison to those around him. However, what really stood out was his poise with the puck. He never seemed phased by incoming checking pressure, and patiently would calculate his decision with the puck, able then to pass it off crisply and accurately.

He put up 3 goals and 33 points in 37 games in his sophomore year in college this season.

He definitely has the upside to be a real steady, big-minute man with his poise, size and strength but also a secondary producer due to his ability to quickly and smartly distribute the puck. How would you guys rate him? Again, I thought he was the US' best, or at least most well-rounded defenseman in this latest WJC.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Right now he is probably Carolina's fourth best prospect behind Boychuk, Dalpe and Faulk. I think it's good that he's going back to school for his junior year, he was one of the youngest drafted in the 09 draft and going back to school will help him improve on his skills.

Down the line I think we hope for him to become a top 4 defenseman and a PP producer to go along with Faulk and McBain, he clearly is a smart hockey player (probably the smartest of the three) and plays a more defensive sound game than Faulk. I know the +/- stat is not very important, but Dumoulin going +40 as a freshman was crazy.

I feel we've been underrating him quite a bit, especially since we drafted Faulk. He really should have been USA's best defenseman at the WJC's instead of Merrill.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Dumoulin has had Ryan Whitney comparisons thrown his way especially right after the draft, but I don't know how much weight those still hold. I think at the time it was made it was a pretty sound comparison, but I don't see Dumoulin ever producing a 60 point season the way that Whitney has and was on pace to do prior to his injury this year. Dumoulin will probably be more sturdy on the back end than Whitney and play that same kind of finesse style defense that draws the ire of most for lacking physicality. I can certainly see him developing into a fine top 4 defender, but a bit of physicality would be nice to see next season as he becomes an upperclassman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->