Brian Dumoulin appreciation thread

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Dumoulin would give you more offense on a pairing away from Letang. He has the skating and skill to break the puck out by himself and was doing so regularly last playoffs. Might be something to look into if Pettersson keeps developing and can work with Letang at some point.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
One of the best defensive d-men in the game, would love to see him mentor Pettersson to play same type of game, because i see lot of similar things with him and Dumo.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
I concur. Dumo is a stud, a bon-fide #2 D-man on a championship team. If we traded him, we'd instantly be looking to acquire a player just like him. He doesn't put up huge numbers, and is not a power-play guy; but he can skate and move the puck.

FWIW, he brings more offense in the playoffs, 21 pts in 61 playoff games the last 3 years, a 28-point pace; including 7 points in 12 games last year.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
DwBsMlrUwAAAttw

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So according to this chart Maatta is a... superstar?

Well it looks like he should warrant a higher return than EK if we’re thinking of trading him....and how great must our D be that we can afford to play our best D man on the third pairing regularly...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
IMO Dumo is what everyone thought/hoped Marc Methot would be. Methot never seemed to impress when his partner (eg: Karlsson) was out, while Dumo managed to carry Ron Hainsey to a Cup.

Reactions: Trade and EightyOne

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Because he is as good as Vlasic and Seabrook. Youre the only one in this thread who doesnt share the same opinion.
Eh, I'd second pixie on this, Dumo's not at the same level of those two. But that doesn't mean he's bad, doesn't mean he isn't a top pairing defenseman, doesn't even mean I'd trade him for either of those two. He's just a step behind them from an offensive prospective, that's all.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The difference of a prime Vlasic is he could be "the guy" on his pair. I love Dumo, but he's more of a complementary player. He's a damn good one, but he doesn't carry the play as well as prime Vlasic or Seabrook could.

Reactions: td_ice

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The difference of a prime Vlasic is he could be "the guy" on his pair. I love Dumo, but he's more of a complementary player. He's a damn good one, but he doesn't carry the play as well as prime Vlasic or Seabrook could.

Re: Vlasic in particular, what do you mean by 'carry the play?'

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I believe he is one of the better shutdown defensemen in the league and believe he is generally underrated. He has done some of his finest work in some of the biggest games against the best players. The job he does against Ovi is something I have rarely seen done. He has a great first pass and support the rush. With that being said, I don't think there is a guy his size that has such a muffin for a shot. What also works to his detriment is that if he is with Letang for the foreseeable future, he won't even rack up those assists that defensemen with a good first pass typically get because Letang breaks the put out.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Vlasic is better with the puck. Or at least he was in his prime. He's less dependant on a puck moving partner.

I feel they are both pretty good with their first passes. In a rush up the ice/mobility to pinch...eeeh.

I think Dumo is closer to a Vlasic than one would initially think.

Pens are lucky he's pretty much turned out!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel they are both pretty good with their first passes. In a rush up the ice/mobility to pinch...eeeh.

I think Dumo is closer to a Vlasic than one would initially think.

Pens are lucky he's pretty much turned out!
He's closer than I'd have ever guessed certainly but I still think prime vlasic had more ability with the puck. And I think his point totals pretty well demonstrate that.

Like I said though I love dumo. He's perfect for what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->