Brian Cooper - USHL

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by IkeaMonkey*, Jan 23, 2011.

1. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Where does this kid rank in his draft year? He was selected to the Jr A. World Championships and is probably one of the top 3 defensemen in the USHL in my opinion. I mean, the one knock I can see on him is that he's small, but he throws his body around like it's no one's business. Literally, every single game he will have at LEAST one highlight reel hit. He's also got insane hockey sense and pretty good skating. He's constantly going coast to coast and has a pretty accurate wrister.

In my opinion, he plays exactly like Mike Green but hits like Jordin Tootoo (wreckless and huge), but his actual positioning and stickwork on defense is quite solid too. Just wondering if he's on anyone's radar?

2. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

No one? Damn. Guy just turned 17 in November and he's one of the top guys in the USHL. Maybe I'm just a bad evaluator of skill.

3. Nisku

Nisku Registered User

What team does he play on

I have not seen the kid play for a while, what team is he on now?

4. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

He's with the Fargo Force. Profile here.

5. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Fargo Force. Easily their best Defender. I wouldn't hesitate to say he was their best defender last year either, as a very young 16 year old rookie. His only real knock is that he's not a physical freak and he's built just like the young 17 year old he is. Watching him play though, it's eerily similar to Mike Green but with HUGE hits every night. He's sent players ass-over-tea kettle in about a dozen games I've seen this year with hip checks.

6. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

I like Cooper a lot, but it is difficult to gaudge how good 5'9 dmen can project into the pros.

Do not take this the wrong way, but he does remind me a bit of a young Brian Leetch. If anyone remebers the way Leetch played early on, that dude would crush people with hip checks left and right. He was a very physical defenseman for having such offensive skills.

Again, I am not saying Brian Cooper is the next coming of Brian Leetch, just saying he has some similarities.

Cooper will get drafted, I will be working on my top 30 USHL draft eligible players soon (2011-2012), and he is definitely on it, but defensemen under 5'10 have a much tougher time of getting drafted (see Beau Schmitz) then a 5'9 forward.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll go ahead and bet he won't be drafted this summer. Too young. ;)

8. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

hahaha, good job, I didnt even think the OP was talking about this year!! Nov 93 birth

9. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Wasn't referring to this year. Just wondering if I'm the only one who has noticed him. I've seen a lot of juniors in my day and he's a pretty damn impressive player.

10. Jamie Benn

Jamie Benn NHL Draft Enthusiast

Student.
    Don't know much about the USHL, from what I see he has good stats.

Is he as good as a Trouba, Sklej or even Schmaltz?

11. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

I personally think he's the best Dman in the USHL after Scott Mayfield to be honest.

12. Mathletic

Mathletic Registered User

how's his season going?

13. Edges7*

Edges7* Registered User

I've seen him live twice and on FAST once and, IMHO, he's been overmatched. But the Fargo team, overall, is a mid-level team at best.

They have some speedy forwards who can score but they get pushed around a lot. Corrin and Wade are playing well and Gothberg keeps them in games but, this is one of the weaker Fargo teams in memory. AO follows them farily close.

He was pretty high on this kid earlier this year.

Hey Dynamo. Did you watch game on Saturday? Stoskopf went after Suter? No one from Lincoln stood up for him? I see Suter had no stats for the game. Did he knock him out of the game?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  14. hockeyscout1728

hockeyscout1728 Registered User

He's way too aggressive, almost worse than Dumba.

Hockey sense is really average. Don't like his decisions with the puck.

15. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Disagree with both of these.

He's worked on his discipline tenfold since last year. A lot of stupid penalties last season that were just lazy. Most of his penalties this year have been from complete [email protected]#%^ officiating. He's known for huge, massive hip checks and there was probably a memo out there to wussify the league because what last year was a huge, massive legal hip check, is this year "tripping", as I've seen three times. Exact same play(he's an elite skater and can set up these checks in a second's notice) but this year, somehow, it's "tripping".

His "hockey sense" is being crippled by Coach Marks' completely moronic system. In the coach Marks system, the defenseman literally just skate backwards all the way to the crease and let the opposing team essentially walk in and take a shot from the hashmarks. Every pairing does it, it's incredible. If the opposing offense sets up, there is a huge "no mans land" where the offense is about at the blueline waiting to get a breakaway chance the other way and the defense is essentially again right on the crease, giving the opposing team about 40x40 room to just create chances. It's the worst coached team I have ever seen.

But overall, to me, he has "disappointed, yes. Mostly again though, in my opinion from this horribly coached team.

16. hockeyscout1728

I was at the World Jr. A Challenge, scouting for an NCAA team.

He took 2 stupid penalties in the bronze medal game trying to lay a hip check in open ice after the puck was well dumped into USA's d-zone. A good 3 seconds after the puck was gone.
    He jumps into the play without any thoughts, sometimes it's good, but most of the times, it's bad.

His hockey sense was average at best again. Very average first passes out of the zone, trying to force plays continuously.

17. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

So was your size sample 1 game or five? Scouting for a NCAA team eh? You are the first scout I've talked to about Cooper that has nothing positive to say. Including half a dozen NHL scouts this year so far.

18. hockeyscout1728

All 5. That is my job. ;)

Don't get me wrong, really like his offensive skills, especially when he keeps it simple because that's when he's great. Defensively, isn't bad either. I thought he read the play better than most people give him credit for. He has a lot of positives in his game, but his negatives are pretty troubling to me. I cringe at all the turnovers he makes.

19. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I hope you're not a scout for Alabama-Huntsville.

Anyways, I predict he will get draft around the same spot as Gaudreau, Rau, and Boucher were at.