Brian Burke steps down.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Burke is out effective May 1st (?).

I don't know what President of Hockey Ops did, but with Tre getting full autonomy in his latest contract, not sure there was much for Burke to do.

With the way the arena situation has played out, he wasn't seemingly helping. Only Ken King needs to leave now, he is beyond useless.

Early rumours or that he will join the media or USA Hockey Ops.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
After Treliving joined, I honestly had no idea what he did. I assume he was there in some kind of advisory role?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
That was my guess. I'm just glad people will finally stop crediting everything Treliving does to Burke.

It's mostly just very dumb Toronto fans (so normal Toronto fans?).

Burke's first draft was fairly terrible though.

1st rd (4th) SAM BENNETT - C (Kingston - OHL)
2nd rd (34th) MASON MCDONALD – G (Charlottetown – QMJHL)
2nd rd (54th) HUNTER SMITH – RW (Oshawa – OHL)
3rd rd (64th) BRANDON HICKEY – D (Spruce Grove – AJHL)
6th rd (175th) ADAM OLLAS-MATTSSON – D (Djurgardens – SWE)
7th rd (184th) AUSTIN CARROLL – LW (Victoria – WHL)

Bennett was still a good pick, but everything after that, just woof. McDonald has never looked good, Smith was and will always be a terrible pick, Hickey is gone.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It's mostly just very dumb Toronto fans (so normal Toronto fans?).

Burke's first draft was fairly terrible though.

1st rd (4th) SAM BENNETT - C (Kingston - OHL)
2nd rd (34th) MASON MCDONALD – G (Charlottetown – QMJHL)
2nd rd (54th) HUNTER SMITH – RW (Oshawa – OHL)
3rd rd (64th) BRANDON HICKEY – D (Spruce Grove – AJHL)
6th rd (175th) ADAM OLLAS-MATTSSON – D (Djurgardens – SWE)
7th rd (184th) AUSTIN CARROLL – LW (Victoria – WHL)

Bennett was still a good pick, but everything after that, just woof. McDonald has never looked good, Smith was and will always be a terrible pick, Hickey is gone.
I thought Carroll was gonna go places?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This has been rumored for a while. But the organization still needs that separation or extra layer between the GM and the anti-Midas Ken King.

Maybe they promote Maloney to that role.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brayden Point went in the next round as well.

LOL

NHL GM's dun goofed that draft. 1st round is a complete disaster as well for a lot of teams
It's sad that the head scout for all this crap is still around and people only complain about the gms

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's sad that the head scout for all this crap is still around and people only complain about the gms

Being a head scout is like being a baseball player. Even the best ones will have high failure rates. It's hard to judge a head scout given every head scout has a couple of these instances happen every year where they pick a bust and a star is picked soon after.

You're right that the GM usually is close to blameless for drafts, but at the same time, it's hard to ignore the distinct Brian Burke flavour to some of those picks. Is it a coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe the GM gives the scouts instructions on how to weight different parts of players' games. :dunno:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good for him, he's had a great career if that's it for being a hockey exec. Those Anaheim teams he put together are a blueprint that California has had a lot of success with. Can't say he'll be missed because I'm not totally sure what his function was the last while. Seemed to exist just to glad hand sponsors, flap his jaw once and a while on TV, and show up at quasi Flames related events.

Pretty disappointed he never fought anybody in a barn.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The articles on Sportsnet are actually solid. He basically came in to prevent non hockey executives having involvement, and was there for Brad in the beginning, since he was new. Now that Maloney is here, and Brad has been going 4 years it's not needed

It's said he focused a lot on business relations and charitable branches. Nothing wrong with that

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
At least this will stop fans from other boards from assuming he's our GM

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, while I'm glad he was there to remove Ken King from hockey decisions, I can't say I'm sad to be without the constant main board drivel about how this is a Burke team.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, while I'm glad he was there to remove Ken King from hockey decisions, I can't say I'm sad to be without the constant main board drivel about how this is a Burke team.

Critics will just keep continuing on with "Burke has ruined this team for years to come." My biggest regret was never being able to make it to any of his talks at the UofC with the business students.

Looks like he's joining the Sportsnet team for the playoffs

https://www.tsn.ca/burke-stepping-back-from-flames-1.1069816

Sportsnet announced later Friday that Burke would join its broadcast team for the remainder of the 2018 playoffs. Starting this weekend, Burke will provide commentary, insight and analysis, the network said.

giphy.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Burke did well in the beginning to make us respectable again, but I do not really think he had any hockey role with this team the last couple of years. He was not even present when Gully was fired or Peters was hired.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
When you look at him you say "That must of been pretty cool at the time"...............like a dinosaur in a museum..............Hartford/Vancouver/Anaheim was a long time ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad